Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to know about everyones experiences with not recognizing people that are close to you, I am finding it unbearable as it never dissipates and seems to be getting stronger.

The worst part is not recognizing my GF of three years whom I have lived with for 2 and a half. When I look at her face I feel like its foreign. I try looking at old pictures of her and the likes but it doesn't seem to help...

I try and think about our past like how we met and things that we have done but my memory is so poor I can't recall those times and if I do it evokes no emotion In me. She is even noticing that I act differently around her, but I won't tell her the reason because it sounds insane. I know we used to joke around constantly before this, had nic names for each other, ya know goofy stuff that makes couples unique, but I can't remember what those were...

This in turn makes me think I have some kind of neuro degenerative disease but I know that's silly, It just kills me that I can't recognize her.

Sorry for going a bit off topic there, but the original question remains. What is it like for you guys?? did anything help you get passed this terrible feeling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been experiencing not recognizing my loved ones either. It's so frustrating. I look at my parents but can't seem to remember them. I know inside they are, but when I think about the idea of them being my parents doesnt click

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, this is a huge issue for me. I mean, I know my girlfriend is my girlfriend, but when I really question it, it's almost like I don't recognize her... or that the emotional attachment is gone.. but I know I care for her and would do anything for her. So frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts