Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to start a topic on what people experienced when taking atypicals. I was first prescribed Seroquel but the drowsiness was too much for me to handle because of my laborous job. The doc decided to switch to Saphris instead. It did give me a big hit of drowsiness, but at least I was able to wake up in the morning. I took it for about two months from samples he gave me. I did start to feel kind kind agitated at times, maybe that was the spike in blood sugar that atypicals cause. But other than that, nothing changed. I guess it could have been worse with how bad the side effects of atypicals are.

I told the doc about it and he started talking about how my "emotional thermostat" is so low. I talked a little bit about the feeling of being numb and he decided to switch me over to the antidepressant Prozac. He didn't say I was depressed, but he did say it might help with the emotional numbing that I have. I told him it wont address the problem directly, and he admitted that he doesn't know of any drug that could adress the problem directly. He said he was just doing "trial runs" of different drugs to see how I might react to them. So here I go again doing another "trial". Whether others have had success with Prozac or SSRIs I would like to know too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your doctor even know what he's treating?
That is an interesting question to ask. I told him about my DP/DR problems and admitted that situation was unique. Both him and my therepist were comparing me to schizophrenics and now he's comparing me to people with depression. I'm so sick of doctors not treating DP/DR as a stand alone condition and treating it like a symptom of either of those two.

G

·
That is an interesting question to ask. I told him about my DP/DR problems and admitted that situation was unique. Both him and my therepist were comparing me to schizophrenics and now he's comparing me to people with depression. I'm so sick of doctors not treating DP/DR as a stand alone condition and treating it like a symptom of either of those two.
It strikes me as very very odd that a doctor can prescribe meds for a condition they don't really know anything about. Don't you think?

How can they possibly know how the meds are going to interact with your dp? And I totally agree they should be treating the dp as the primary illness (if indeed it is of course) instead of beating around the bush and treating the anxiety, depression etc. An x therapist told me that when you treat the dissociative disorders the other problems lessen as you recover anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been taking Sulpiride for a couple months now, my pdoc seems to be very into that and thinks it can help with dp. It worked a little in the beginning, in an activating and motivating way, like a stimulant. But after that, nothing, didn't help with my dissociation at all. I think I'll quit it if I can convince my doc, as it's not doing anything for me at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.