Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 16, And I Got It From Smoking Pot...
And Im Almost Possitive I've Got DR/DP Due To The Symptoms, And I Met Someone Who Had It And We Talked And He Was Possitive I Had It. But I'm Nervous About Brining It Up Because No One Knows I Smoked.

So Im Just Curious, 1.) Is There Medication For This?

And, 2.) Is This Caused By Anything Other Than Drugs?

Because If Im Going To Bring This Us I Need To Have Some Excuse Of How I Got It. Admitting I Smoked Isnt Really An Option At All.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome: Just wanted to let you know , who is it you don't want to let know your parents or your doctor? If it's your parents, what is said between you and your Doctor is confidential in most states even if you are a minor. BUt it may not be a bad Idea to let your parents know that you tried smoking pot and now you feel really wierd and you would like to seek some medical advice. Normally the consequences of just being honest are not as bad as we imagine them. As a parent I would rather hear the truth from kids and help them , then for them to withhold the truth. Yeah I might be upset, but I would soon realize that my kid was asking for help

Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eeeeeh, Well Its Deeper Than That. My Parents Have Been Suspicious Of My Invovlment In Substances For Awhile... But Havent Been Able To Catch Me. But Now, I'm Just Very Very Confused As To What To Do... Double Edge Sword :/

And, The Other Night I Had A Panic Attack And Collapsed In The Hallway Complaing I Couldnt Breath... So They Took Me To The Doctors And I Found That I Also Have A Sinus Infection Now (As If Things Were Already Shitty Enough). So That Is The Current Cause Of My "Breathing Troubles". But Ive Had Sinus Infections Before, I Know Thats Not The Cause... Because I've Also Stress Related Troubles Breathing And Thats What This Feels Like, Plus An Array Of Other DP/DR Symptoms.

So Right Now, Only My Girlfriend And Someone Else Who Has DR Knows That I Have It. So Its A Weird Feeling Not Having My Parents Supporting Me. Aside From My Girlfriend My Poetry And Music I've Got Nothing To Help Cope.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Explaining the truth to doctors would be the smartest idea. They've seen case likes this before, so they can give you the right treatment. There are a number of meds that can be taken for anxiety, but not really any proven to work for DP/DR. Stick around and read some other stories and coping techniques, and it will help you.

p.s. Why capitalize every word? :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Depends where you live, but my friend was in therapy at 15 or 16 and her therapist was bounded by law into secrecy. I'm not trying to freak you out, but the therapist gave her parents info that they shouldn't have gotten. Find a trustworthy therapist who someone else you know has seen and would recommend if you can, because you can't lie to a therapist and get help... or i wouldn't think so... Good luck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you had a panic attack, your dp/dr symptoms are most likely a result of the anxiety error. Just tell your parents it was school stress, or existential, and you panicked. it doesnt matter how you got it. You are going to get treated the same way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Capitalize... Eh, Dont Know, It's Just A Habbit From Writing Poetry; You Capitalize All The Important Things So They Stand Out So I Just Started Capitalizing Everything And Just Never Stopped.

And, Does Anyone Know If That Doctor/Legal Thing Stands In Connecticut? Cuz Thats Where I Am. And I Dont Have A Therapist, I Dont Have Any Prior Things That Have Happend So I Never Needed One. This Is All Just A Real Sudden Thing.

And Mine Isnt Just Anxiety Related... I Get The Anxiety Attacks When The Fact That I Cant Seperate Dream From Reality Just Overwelms Me. And Now The Anxiety Attacks Come About Frequently If I Do Anything Other Than Sit Around The House. :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey,, call your Doctors office and ask them if they respect patient confidentiality as pertains to not telling your parents what you tell the doctor. They could tell you.. But even if you were just to say to your parents you have been having some real anxiety issues and you would like to seek treatment. Try that and then maybe you don't have to disclose the Pot if you feel uncomfortable with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This isnt always caused by drugs though. I didnt get it from drugs, in fact I dont even know how I got it. Ive never done drugs. So you may not even have to worry about that part

:) Just a positive note

Good luck here

·
Registered
733 Posts
well, i certainly wouldn't do any more drugs! i know that sounds like pretty obvious advice, but you'd be suprised at how many people just keep doing 'em because they think it can't get any worse.

to address your question...you could just tell your parents you have developed anxiety and you don't know why.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Did Tell My Parents About The Anxiety, But Ive Also Got A Sinus Infection So They Think Its That But Ive Felt This Way For About A Month After I Last Smoked... But Im Going To The Doctors Today At 4, My Mom Wants To Check For Sleep Aptmia And Anemia Just To Make Sure Its Nothing Physical Then From There I'll Go To A Shrink.

But, Im Thinking Im Just Going To Tell My Doctors Everything.

Oh, And Ya, I Quick Smoking. The Last Time I Did It I Honestly Thought I Was Dying, So I Decided To Quit Because I Just Wasnt Feeling That At All And Then I Had DP/DR Symptons Since Then So I REALLY Decided I Should Quick. I've Drank Once Since Then Though, But I Just Quit That Too. After How Quickly I Was Able To Ruin Myself With One Substance I Figured It Was Just An Easier Thing To Quit Drinking Aswell Then End Up Messing Myself Up Even More With That.

I Mean, Really Its All Garbage Anyways, Just Unessisary. I Just Regret Smoking So Much Right Now. All I Wanted Was A Break From Reality And Now Id Give Anything For It Back... But Instead Im Just Stuck In A Place Within My Own Head To Where I Cant Even Tell Whats Dream Or Real.

:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts