Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is alprazolam for treating dp/dr and dp/dr induced anxiety/vise versa in comparison to other benzodiazepines for when you need a quick relief of symptoms in triggering situations/environments? I know that Klonopin/clonazepam helps but Valium/diazepam, not so much from experience. Also, it'd be super helpful if members on the forum can post other medicines they've had success with in the long term, so I can have more options to consider trying out.

Thank you.

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
Maybe in the top 5 most addictive drugs in the world? something i'd say avoid, avoid, avoid.

Beta blockers are good for quick panic, they don't make you feel relaxed but lower adrenaline.

As for what you want to know, alprazolam, i.e. Xanax is far more effective than Clonazepam and doesn't solve anything for DP.

I have to take alprazolam for something else at the minute for a nervous system thing and it's a tight rope, if you pop one of those every time you have bad DP it won't get you anywhere really.

I never take it for DP, it doesn't solve DP, it gives you a few hours of lower anxiety, you will become to need it and need more of it... and then when you need to come of it, you could be worse than you started and have withdrawal. I do understand, nor am I bitching, there is times where an emergency tablet sometimes, but this can't be the plan is what I am saying.

I've spent far too many hours, with studies, read every recovery story on this board, meet 8 physiatrists, member on many boards, met and know a good few who are recovered. After countless research, the best advice I have is meet a open minded physiatrists who will work with you.

The medications other than the less conventional are typically the combo of an Antidepressant that works for you, and a low dose of AS.

Comes up so so many times, more than anything. Too many complain about the AD not working yet spend years on it when it's not right for them, if I have to be critical. Last time I checked there was 25+ licensed here. Side note, I know someone who had major depression for 1 year and took Zoloft 100mg and complained to me that it never works, I was like, you should have said like 7 months ago now, why did you keep taking it? the moral of that is be persistent, things can take 2-3 months to show if it's working, but don't if you aren't proactive no one else will be.

This link, go down to the algorithm, I think it's solid advice / treatment plan. It's not DP, but nothing specifically is really, i've read the studies, treating anxiety and loosing the depression is the best approach I know (will happily stand corrected*)

https://psychotropical.info/ken-gillman-ad-algorithm/

As for the AD's I see most people recover with

Escitalopram (Leprexo) - (SRRI)

Clomipramine (Anafranil) - (TRI)

Pristiq (SNRI)

Effexor (SNRI)

The AS (list is shorter, people may add, i've just never seen a reason to make this longer)

Aripiprazole

Amisulpride

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm not a fan of suffering. I took Klonopin for depression induced anxiety. I took it as one might take Xanax or Valium, for short term acute situations. (my doctor was reluctant to prescribe Xanax). I have taken klonopin during several depressive episodes, and have

had no problem coming off cold turkey. I understand kllonopin is not a cure for dp or depression. It did reduce anxiety to a level that I could complete a day of work. And that is why I took it. I don't take issue to treating symptoms with medication.

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
I don't disagree with forestx5, in fact, you have made me rethink how I came across.

But only from the stand point of acute situations. This is unlikely to get in withdrawal from my experience, I have taken Xanax for two months and cold turkey and never had issues. I guess I am trying to warn you away from thinking Xanax helps my DP, lets take it every day.

Using it as a treatment is like chasing your tail. It is too short acting and you build a tolerance.

I've spent 3 years trying to get diagnosed with what they think is a nervous system disorder, only this year have they found Xanax stops it (not DP, symptoms are like shakes, fevers, no sleep etc) I haven't responded to 15 medications it's night and day, this actually annoys my doctors, you'd think 'oh we know what area it's in', they are more worried and rightly that the solution its not a viable one, it takes a 3/4mg and the next day it's back to square one unfortunately. Xanax is only available privately here, I have a private physiatrist as after seeing many for 2 years there is only so much you can put up with.

My take away, get a longer term plan, but personally if you need 4 or 5 days a month for crisis mode, I also believe i'd rather feel alive than suffering.

I'd love to have doctors who have cured these disorders and lived with them for more than an acute anxious period when a situation has happened to them in their life. It's like when people think they've had depression by remembering one sad moment..

Anyway be careful, work on finding something that works long term

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe in the top 5 most addictive drugs in the world? something i'd say avoid, avoid, avoid.

Beta blockers are good for quick panic, they don't make you feel relaxed but lower adrenaline.

As for what you want to know, alprazolam, i.e. Xanax is far more effective than Clonazepam and doesn't solve anything for DP.

I have to take alprazolam for something else at the minute for a nervous system thing and it's a tight rope, if you pop one of those every time you have bad DP it won't get you anywhere really.

I never take it for DP, it doesn't solve DP, it gives you a few hours of lower anxiety, you will become to need it and need more of it... and then when you need to come of it, you could be worse than you started and have withdrawal. I do understand, nor am I bitching, there is times where an emergency tablet sometimes, but this can't be the plan is what I am saying.

I've spent far too many hours, with studies, read every recovery story on this board, meet 8 physiatrists, member on many boards, met and know a good few who are recovered. After countless research, the best advice I have is meet a open minded physiatrists who will work with you.

The medications other than the less conventional are typically the combo of an Antidepressant that works for you, and a low dose of AS.

Comes up so so many times, more than anything. Too many complain about the AD not working yet spend years on it when it's not right for them, if I have to be critical. Last time I checked there was 25+ licensed here. Side note, I know someone who had major depression for 1 year and took Zoloft 100mg and complained to me that it never works, I was like, you should have said like 7 months ago now, why did you keep taking it? the moral of that is be persistent, things can take 2-3 months to show if it's working, but don't if you aren't proactive no one else will be.

This link, go down to the algorithm, I think it's solid advice / treatment plan. It's not DP, but nothing specifically is really, i've read the studies, treating anxiety and loosing the depression is the best approach I know (will happily stand corrected*)

https://psychotropical.info/ken-gillman-ad-algorithm/

As for the AD's I see most people recover with

Escitalopram (Leprexo) - (SRRI)

Clomipramine (Anafranil) - (TRI)

Pristiq (SNRI)

Effexor (SNRI)

The AS (list is shorter, people may add, i've just never seen a reason to make this longer)

Aripiprazole

Amisulpride
I understand. Afa beta blockers, I've had a bad history with propranolol, it made me so sick and lethargic. I was so weak that at times I could barely shower. The thing about antidepressants is the side effects and the trial and error of going through those side effects just to see if it even works. I've been dealing with so much anxiety and panic (still am) that I do not want to take that chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.