Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
tomorrow im going back to work after a year of pretty much no work.
im just wondering how others find working with dp.
im hoping that the distractions of work will keep my mind active so that i wont obsess over my situation and that getting out and working may help with the boredom and depression im feeling.
so yeah, just after anyones input on how they handle work, does it work as a good distraction, does it make your feelings worse etc. etc.
personally, im looking forward to it as i think the distraction is exactly what i need to beat this.
10 years ago when i had a bout of dp, i was kept busy with my schooling and i think that forced me to think of other things and in turn speeded up my recovery as from what i remember i only suffered from it for about 6 months full on, and then it slowly dissapeared with the odd turn every so often.
my psychiatrist also thinks that work will do me good for the same reasons as he thinks dp is related to anxiety, and like with any form of anxiety sympton, the less you think about it, the less is effects your life.
so what do you guys think... make any sense?
let me know what you think and ill keep you all updated as to how work goes, it's going to be pretty full on and hard work, but i think that may be the best work for me at the moment.
take care everyone and i hope everything is going well for you,
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
369 Posts
hey Luke

To me work is usually an escape from this. I find the interaction with people and the integration of my thinking in with the rest of the world to be a great help. There are times when I sit in my cubicle and wonder if I'm going nuts. But that usually passes. So to answer your question, work usually gets my mind of DP. Good luck.

Ken

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree work on the most part, especially if its pretty full on forces you outwards. at times i get a bit freaked but because of the situation i have to concentrate on passing myself as normal in others eyes. once again thinking outside instead of in. best of luck luke

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree work on the most part, especially if its pretty full on forces you outwards. at times i get a bit freaked but because of the situation i have to concentrate on passing myself as normal in others eyes. once again thinking outside instead of in. best of luck luke

G

·
although at times i really don't like my job, it is a distraction but sometimes i feel weirder, i guess it all depends. Also im working under fluoresecent lights all day which isn't the greatest thing in the world. Its an ok job, i just want money!

G

·
although at times i really don't like my job, it is a distraction but sometimes i feel weirder, i guess it all depends. Also im working under fluoresecent lights all day which isn't the greatest thing in the world. Its an ok job, i just want money!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well... im half way through my first day back....
im running electrical cables on the roof of a building in the tropics of australia... my god it's hot!
so far the day has been ok... i havnt really been able to loose myself into the work yet, but that will probably come with time, i hope.
the guys im working with are pretty good, they have sorta let me get on with working on my own, which i allways prefered. ive only had a few moments of anxiety and i dont think im thinking about the dp as much, as i have something to do.
the guys have been good, giving me a long lunch to cool myself down as im not used to the hot weather.
so yeah, first day back and it's going ok
cheers
Luke.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well... im half way through my first day back....
im running electrical cables on the roof of a building in the tropics of australia... my god it's hot!
so far the day has been ok... i havnt really been able to loose myself into the work yet, but that will probably come with time, i hope.
the guys im working with are pretty good, they have sorta let me get on with working on my own, which i allways prefered. ive only had a few moments of anxiety and i dont think im thinking about the dp as much, as i have something to do.
the guys have been good, giving me a long lunch to cool myself down as im not used to the hot weather.
so yeah, first day back and it's going ok
cheers
Luke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts