Depersonalization Support Forum banner

WORK and DP/DR

5K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Ben 
G
#1 ·
hey guys, how is everyone? i just wanted to ask this question ,
i was wondering who all works here, and how there dp effects thier job, or how it is on there job, i just got a new job at walmart, to help pay bills and stuff for college, but i have the worst dp, there and i feel like im not doing anything im doing, it sucks, like why cant i just feel right when i work, i should have remembered that i hate shopping at big stores like that and old navy because i always get DP , so stupid me i go work there and its even worse...please help with ideas.

#2 ·
Mishyxo,

A couple thoughts:

First off, I have read (and personally experienced) that the effects of neon/flourescent light can be negative on those who suffer from anxiety problems - something about that particular lighting causes issues withour brains; and don't ask me why, it just does. It's very possible that the poor lighting of some large place like Walmart could induce DP and bring it to an extreme level. One potential fix against this is to take breaks outside. Unfortunately (or fortunately for you, if you're a smoker) you may have to hang with smokers, but it might defeat part of your symptoms.

Being around large crowds, especially if such things make you nervous, can heighten the DP experience as the anxiety levels can raise slightly. Simply ask to be placed into a different department such as the gardening section, etc. Someplace that, perhaps, has fewer traffic, better lighting, etc.

Another point to think about may be your eating habits while you're working there. If you're simply eating garbage on break, that can mess with your sugar levels and give you some nasty issues aside from anxiety/DP. Try eating good foods and staying away from the caffeiene.

These couple suggestions are part of my experience in battling this disorder in a fairly indoors occupation (software development). I take walks regularly, excercise every night at the gym (lifting and cycling). Besides being a great way to stay in excellent shape physically, it's also good for your mind.

G
#3 ·
thanks alot that helps, i just feel like i cant leave this job, i did that at my last one cuz the lights where giving me headaches, i worked at a supermarket, if i leave here it looks like i cant keep a job, i think im just goign to ask if i can be partime, less hours .

#6 ·
I work but i work with dogs, which works well for me cause you have to focus on what your doing. Also i dont have to worry to much when i have a panic attack or dp as i dont have to try and hide it. I do find it hard some days and its usually when i am adding scarey thoughts to my dp. I also only work 4 days a week and as it is my own buisness so i can book in as much or as little as i think i can do.I do have to deal with people and other staff but its only 40% of my day. Most of the staff know i struggle with panic, two know about the dp. I'd say one third dont really understand and the rest are very supportive in knowing when i need to be left alone-helps alot! I recently thought that a lot were thinking i was a freak but actually when thinking about it relized i was guessing this. I realized that yes i think that there are a couple that just dont understand and are perhaps uncomfortable with the subject and i completly get that. I know not to raise the subject with them and they leave me alone. It has helped immensly when i focus on what i have to do.

#9 ·
I work at a fast food outlet.

The pro is that if I work hard and the day goes some-what well then I feel exhausted after it and feel positive about having done a good job.

On the other hand the work is repetitive and boring so my mind wanders and I often find myself trapped in DP land but still having to do my job. Other times I induce it deliberately to escape the dreary nature of the work.

Stress is terrible because I have to work with 14-18 year old kids who have little work ethic and constantly telling them to do their work and stop screwing around gets really frustrating.

Being a non-confrontational person I find it hard to be assertive enough to keep them in line, which builds the stress.

/narcissism, before I pine away...

#10 ·
ummmm...reticent, do you know what narcissism means? 'cause i just read the whole thread and didn't see a bit of it.

anyhow, i would think that walmart would be one of the worst places to work if you are having to deal with dp. i am a teacher and i have to turn off half of the lights in the room (since they are fluorescent) to even be semi-o.k. to teach. i can't even handle going inside supermarkets or stores like walmart, target, etc, when my dp is really bad. i would suggest starting to look for another job soon if it doesn't get any better. you could work at a coffee shop, or some other place that has dimmer lights and maybe a bit more comfortable atmosphere.

#12 ·
when my dp/dr was at its worst the only place i could work was starbucks. the lights are dim enough, you are only required to work in a very small area, and if you work at night your chances of not actually having to help many customers are good. plus starbucks offers good insurance which means you could get more help for your dp. i'm teaching now but i still work at starbucks 2 nights a week for fun.

#13 ·
Well I'm a supermodel so I don't have to worry about silly things like lights. Check me out at http://www.Iamgorgeous.com

THAT would be narcissism

Actually that would be cool...

Supermarkets have to be one of the prime locations for dr. I have been extremely close to leaving my trolley, fully loaded, at the checkout and walking out. Even now, when I'm doing fairly ok, it makes my palms sweat and my heart race. But only if I think about it. If something distracts me, and it doesn't enter my mind, then all is fine.

#14 ·
Mishyxo -

I am really sorry to hear that you had to quit. As Agentcooper said, those stores like Target and Walmart aren't good for us with DP. Too many square feet of flourescent light. Also, you probably rarely get a break from customers.

A coffee shop is a great idea, as Agent said. Also, maybe something like a small bookshop or music store.

You will definitely find a job in which you experience less anxiety. Hopefully you also have supportive parent(s).

As always, I am here to support you.

#16 ·
So at work they just put new lights in. I am struggling big time! The lights are called daylight lights has anyone heard of these? Are they classified as fluro lights? They have an odd light to them. Im thinking of descretly changing them over (just in the room i work in)but can you get non fluro lights in the tubes? Will have to visit light shop maybe!

#17 ·
ShyTiger -

Here's a weird trick to try...and I'm not sure if it will work for you, but it works for me.

I have a physical explanation for it - but it's only a guess (theory), I have no proof that this is the case, but - have you ever gone star gazing? I've been an amateur astronomer for years and have spent a lot of time under the stars with telescopes and binoculars and - the naked eye (no aid of equipment). I used to give tours at a local observatory when I was younger - so, I learned something....

Okay - well, there is a trick where, if you cannot see a particular dim star, you avert your eyes a bit to the side. Voila - you're suddenly able to see the star a bit better (try it sometime, after you get it down, you'll be amazed that it works - all you have to do is look to the right or left of the star a bit). Why? Because the rods and cones of your eyes are on the peripheral (outer edges), not immediately behind your pupil. The point of all of this?

Try blinding the peripheral of your eyes by covering them across the top like a military solute (you know, palm open, on your brow); or even on the side - however. You can pull it off like you're merely thinking or resting your head on your hand. But, do that when it starts to get unbareable. If you're in the breakroom - you can just claim that the night before you got sh*t faced and everyone will think you're fun and want to take you home with 'em :)

#18 ·
Strobe lighting caused me my first extreme dr episode. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't something more physical aswell. Anyway, I read that epileptics can cover one eye, and the strobe/light sequence that would normally trigger the reaction is incomplete, and they are ok. It works for me in strobe lighting. Guess its similar to that which you're saying Ben?

#20 ·
Ben-i know what you are talking about cause i noticed that when star gazing before-freaked me out to start with thought something wrong with eyes. Unfortunatly i am requiring both eyes on the job and hands so suggestions not going to work but thanks anyway. I think i am just going to change the lights in there. No one will notice as im the only one that uses that room.
Ben your pic is a bit disturbing! :shock:

#21 ·
g-funk said:
Strobe lighting caused me my first extreme dr episode. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't something more physical aswell. Anyway, I read that epileptics can cover one eye, and the strobe/light sequence that would normally trigger the reaction is incomplete, and they are ok. It works for me in strobe lighting. Guess its similar to that which you're saying Ben?
back in the day, when my dp/dr was much more extreme than it is now, i went over to a friends house and they turned the strobe on. man was that horrible!!! i had to leave and it took me 4 cigarettes to calm myself down. i even have a hard time driving through patchy trees on a sunny day because the shadows create the same effect (to a lesser degree).

#22 ·
Sorry you had to quit.. but it is a strange thing about the lighting, it does play a role.... We moved our offices to a new building, I don't have the natural sunlight I used to get.... So I know what you mean. I tend to question my reality more at work then anywhere else. That's the part I hate worst of all is the obsessive nature of this disorder. I can almost accept the visual stuff, but the constant, obsessing about reality, How I feel outside of my body, Am I really me... what if I vanish...... Thats the stuff that gets me at work.

KC

#24 ·
Reticent said:
agentcooper said:
ummmm...reticent, do you know what narcissism means? 'cause i just read the whole thread and didn't see a bit of it.
I didn't read the thread.
just out of curiousity, why would you write that, then? i mean, dped people tend to be a bit on the insecure side of the spectrum so it seems like a pointlessly mean comment. maybe you were making a joke?

#25 ·
Please note this:

Some people with panic disorder are frightened of their ability to dissociate, other people are not. One of the easiest way people can induce a trance state is when they are relaxed and/or when they are staring : out of the window, driving, watching TV, reading a book, using the computer, when talking with someone. Fluorescent lights can trigger a trance state, so too can self absorption. The more absorbed we become, the more we can induce a trance stare.
Source: http://www.panicattacks.com.au/anxdis/dissoc.html

I think there is definitely a broad connection here. Whether you're religious or not, you kind of accept the thought that our brain works off electrical impulses and frequences (for example, scientists are able to decipher brain activity and timings in milliseconds, etc). Lighting at a particular frequency and wavelength could, very possible, affect us.

ShyTiger - I changed my avatar back to me again; so, you won't be freaked out by it (or maybe you'll be more freaked out now!)

#26 ·
agentcooper said:
Reticent said:
agentcooper said:
I didn't read the thread.
just out of curiousity, why would you write that, then? i mean, dped people tend to be a bit on the insecure side of the spectrum so it seems like a pointlessly mean comment. maybe you were making a joke?
Sometimes, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.