Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had positives results from seeing someone as mentioned above or similar?

I've had this problem (dp mainly now) for about 25 years. Yes you heard me. I find that hard to take in and believe myself, but is true. I just looked at a diagnostic thing briefly and had to stop as i suddenly recalled that i had it much more awfully in the past, symptom wise, although it is still bad and my life feels unlivable. I've had a lot of depression because of it over the years too. I've made bits, say a few weeks at a time of recovery,and then seem to get triggered again, so easily, it seems and am back to dp again. Yes look at all these triggers more thoroughly, if i felt i had much of a memory. Its very disheartening after feeling abit of optomism again for a bit, and this is what has happened to me again just now, and after feeling angry, upset and bitter about it, i now feel depressed and like i've no life force.

Anyway. I'm waiting on seeing a psychologist in about 3-4 weeks time. I feel like i haven't got the strength for it all really or getting my hopes up to have them dashed again. I have 'seen' people before briefly, but i'm in a much beter place to be able to communicate now. So i am trying to tell myself, that maybe i could get some recovery.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY POSSITIVE RESULTS WITH DP LESSENING/GETTING BETER THROUGH SEEING A PSYCHOLOGIST? And maybe crying thoroughly about the past. Has anyone tried that with a professional and got rid of dp?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sure, yes.

The way it worked wasn't a mystery either - he got me out of the house to go play basketball, which made me feel better. It wasn't a complete recovery but symptoms improved.

The key to your recovery is trying/doing things you're too afraid to try. You can do that with or without a psychologist. Just figure out what those things are that will help you recover.

G

·
Sure, yes.

The way it worked wasn't a mystery either - he got me out of the house to go play basketball, which made me feel better. It wasn't a complete recovery but symptoms improved.

The key to your recovery is trying/doing things you're too afraid to try. You can do that with or without a psychologist. Just figure out what those things are that will help you recover.
what if youre numb

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dude,

You don't think I was numb?

You do it ANYWAY. You don't wait till you're no longer numb to do things that are good for you, because you'll wait for a long long time.

You do these things to become less numb.

·
Registered
696 Posts
DPD is actually quite similar to depression in that there's a Catch-22.

You want to feel better before you do things, when those things would make you feel better if you did them.

That's called BEING STUCK. The only way to get unstuck is to take a leap of faith, say "fuck it, this calls for something radical!"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Has anyone had positives results from seeing someone as mentioned above or similar?

I've had this problem (dp mainly now) for about 25 years. Yes you heard me. I find that hard to take in and believe myself, but is true. I just looked at a diagnostic thing briefly and had to stop as i suddenly recalled that i had it much more awfully in the past, symptom wise, although it is still bad and my life feels unlivable. I've had a lot of depression because of it over the years too. I've made bits, say a few weeks at a time of recovery,and then seem to get triggered again, so easily, it seems and am back to dp again. Yes look at all these triggers more thoroughly, if i felt i had much of a memory. Its very disheartening after feeling abit of optomism again for a bit, and this is what has happened to me again just now, and after feeling angry, upset and bitter about it, i now feel depressed and like i've no life force.

Anyway. I'm waiting on seeing a psychologist in about 3-4 weeks time. I feel like i haven't got the strength for it all really or getting my hopes up to have them dashed again. I have 'seen' people before briefly, but i'm in a much beter place to be able to communicate now. So i am trying to tell myself, that maybe i could get some recovery.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY POSSITIVE RESULTS WITH DP LESSENING/GETTING BETER THROUGH SEEING A PSYCHOLOGIST? And maybe crying thoroughly about the past. Has anyone tried that with a professional and got rid of dp?
What you get out of a psychologist depends on what you give them to work with, and how willing you are to do the bulk of the work.

The best way to get into this is to think of a psychologist as a personnel trainer; tell them everything about yourself and where you want to eventually be, and they can give you the tools and exercises to get to that point.

I'm bringing this up, because many people expect to visit a psychologist and have noticeable results after the first half-dozen visits, as if just talking is going to have an influence. What you need to do is take what you discuss in the office and apply it to your life as a whole.

Stress is a common cause and perpetuates DP/DR so discussing stressful situations, feelings and thoughts from any point in your life would be a good way to start.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments people, they're helpful.

I'm also when i see them hoping and aiming to address the trauma that created this. Its going to be very upsetting, although i am upset and down anyway. I feel i've got to a point where i feel i cant go on without doing. Just writing that makes me detach slightly and feel frightened! Great! Neverthe less. It is frightening for me, but it is never going to not be. Its took up so much of my life (dp).

All the very best people. Take care. And i hope you all have a decent day. I'm gunna try and function beter today myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.