Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’ve done my fair share of research on what triggers DPDR and the stages of stress and trauma in humans, but one thing I haven’t been able to rule out is why it is that weed is commonly a trigger for DPDR? Weed wasn’t the sole reason my DR became chronic but I do remember the last time I smoked it worsened my state significantly. So if any of you have any background knowledge I’d appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Weed makes you feel like things aren't real, it's like a chemical dissociation. It's a state that a lot of smokers are actively pursuing, but it can make you question things in a way that you might not have before and maybe if you have existing personality traits or issues - perhaps you are already sensitive, introvert or prone to anxiety - you may start to become afraid of those thoughts, feel a loss of control and start to panic, and this in itself can be like a mini-trauma. It doesn't matter to your subconscious if it was objectively real or not, but if you were scared by the experience then you were affected by it. A state of shock can follow. Many people just brush it off and so it doesn't affect them, but some get caught in a classic anxiety loop, where they continue to keep questioning things like perception and reality - which are classic stoner thoughts if you think about it!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Because THC is a seriously strong mood altering chemical....And usually it elevates the mood you are already in...So if your giggly you laugh more / If your anxious you panic more / If your depressed you will feel sadder...

Naturally anxious people like us should NOT be using illegal mood altering chemicals like weed....Well to be honest nobody should...

Oh and the crap chemists put in weed nowadays to make it stronger and more addictive just makes the dangers from it even worse...

I seriously doubt Bob Marley was smoking Skunk back in the day....Lethal stuff...

Stay away is my advice....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think theres a few reasons for this, at least from my experiance, i found that it slowed my mind down and i could feel the difference in my consciousness. I didnt like the feeling of not being in control and not feeling as connected to everything as i should. With the thoughts no longer feeling like they are in your control, itll make you question things deeper. It made me question whether i was ever in control to begin with (which tbh, we actually arnt but thats a different topic). From there, all kinds of delusional thinking will happen and your sense of control, yourself and/or your environment become altered. Some people seek a feeling of being detatched from reality or for things to not seem like their problem and i guess thats why they use it. I personally cant stand it. I like being in reality. And my advice is to stay faaar away if your someone with anxiety or pre existing dp or dr cause it amplifies everything. I only had good experiances with the stuff in very small hits and only when i was in a good state of mind prior. But even being in a good state of mind, i get easily paranoid so i guess its just not for me or anyone like me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think theres a few reasons for this, at least from my experiance, i found that it slowed my mind down and i could feel the difference in my consciousness. I didnt like the feeling of not being in control and not feeling as connected to everything as i should. With the thoughts no longer feeling like they are in your control, itll make you question things deeper. It made me question whether i was ever in control to begin with (which tbh, we actually arnt but thats a different topic). From there, all kinds of delusional thinking will happen and your sense of control, yourself and/or your environment become altered. Some people seek a feeling of being detatched from reality or for things to not seem like their problem and i guess thats why they use it. I personally cant stand it. I like being in reality. And my advice is to stay faaar away if your someone with anxiety or pre existing dp or dr cause it amplifies everything. I only had good experiances with the stuff in very small hits and only when i was in a good state of mind prior. But even being in a good state of mind, i get easily paranoid so i guess its just not for me or anyone like me.
Makes total sense. I never had not one good experience since the first time I tried it as a kid but the thing about weed is that everyone thinks it's the solution to anything and everything and that it can't bring any harm so people are easily influenced. I wanted so desperately to like it because I didn't wanna cave into any other hardcore drugs at the time (fail) and instead it just made matters worse. I wish I would've known what I know now about how my brain works and that weed is NOT for everyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weed makes you feel like things aren't real, it's like a chemical dissociation. It's a state that a lot of smokers are actively pursuing, but it can make you question things in a way that you might not have before and maybe if you have existing personality traits or issues - perhaps you are already sensitive, introvert or prone to anxiety - you may start to become afraid of those thoughts, feel a loss of control and start to panic, and this in itself can be like a mini-trauma. It doesn't matter to your subconscious if it was objectively real or not, but if you were scared by the experience then you were affected by it. A state of shock can follow. Many people just brush it off and so it doesn't affect them, but some get caught in a classic anxiety loop, where they continue to keep questioning things like perception and reality - which are classic stoner thoughts if you think about it!
Crazy to think that it's a state of mind people actually seek out to experience while others can end up traumatized by the effects it's exactly how you stated that people get caught in pretty much an anxiety loop. I've met tons of people that have had similar bad experiences when they're high BUT eventually they're back to normal. It wasn't till I joined this site that I met more people that also never really managed to get out of that loop

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because THC is a seriously strong mood altering chemical....And usually it elevates the mood you are already in...So if your giggly you laugh more / If your anxious you panic more / If your depressed you will feel sadder...

Naturally anxious people like us should NOT be using illegal mood altering chemicals like weed....Well to be honest nobody should...

Oh and the crap chemists put in weed nowadays to make it stronger and more addictive just makes the dangers from it even worse...

I seriously doubt Bob Marley was smoking Skunk back in the day....Lethal stuff...

Stay away is my advice....
Well some anxious people actually find that weed is helpful so I think it boils down to something in the brain of people predisposed to DPDR that's more complex

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Chemicals in weed (THC) imitate neurotransmitters. They cross the blood brain barrier and interfere with the electrochemical messaging system in the brain. It is sort of like throwing sand into your machinery.

Sensory input is routed to the temporal lobe for processing. Researchers agree that if you have a soul, it resides in your temporal lobe. Also, the temporal lobe is "exquisitely prone to insult".

Ingesting psychoactive drugs is sort of like tossing your mind into the air, and expecting it to land in better shape than when you tossed it. The law of entropy suggests that is unlikely.

All the kings horses, and all the king's men, are still trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. All Humpty did was fall off a wall. There is no opposite force in the universe that can have him fall back to

his perch, and be in one piece again. I personally believe the brain attempts to adapt to the extremes of a bad trip.

In doing so, it leaves normal behind. A bad trip could involve gene switching. It is a known scientific fact that psychological stressors can induce genes to switch on or off.

This switching can cause permanent changes in brain chemistry and brain processes and functions. The bottom line is that the brain is too sensitive and complex for individual's to

experiment with psychoactive drugs. .But, a lot of us have already figured that out.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Chemicals in weed (THC) imitate neurotransmitters. They cross the blood brain barrier and interfere with the electrochemical messaging system in the brain. It is sort of like throwing sand into your machinery.

Sensory input is routed to the temporal lobe for processing. Researchers agree that if you have a soul, it resides in your temporal lobe. Also, the temporal lobe is "exquisitely prone to insult".

Ingesting psychoactive drugs is sort of like tossing your mind into the air, and expecting it to land in better shape than when you tossed it. The law of entropy suggests that is unlikely.

All the kings horses, and all the king's men, are still trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. All Humpty did was fall off a wall. There is no opposite force in the universe that can have him fall back to

his perch, and be in one piece again. I personally believe the brain attempts to adapt to the extremes of a bad trip.

In doing so, it leaves normal behind. A bad trip could involve gene switching. It is a known scientific fact that psychological stressors can induce genes to switch on or off.

This switching can cause permanent changes in brain chemistry and brain processes and functions. The bottom line is that the brain is too sensitive and complex for individual's to

experiment with psychoactive drugs. .But, a lot of us have already figured that out.
Very interesting observations....I tend to agree with all of this........Leads me back to my theory that DP is a chemical imbalance at heart...Which chemicals I cannot say......I mean think about it....Literally in an instant flick of a switch alot of people on here have had their whole perception of reality altered whilst high on marijuana....And they will all say they never expected it and were basically fine up until that moment.....And people think weed isnt dangerous....I firmly believe the chemicals in the weed i smoked that fateful night all those years ago did irrepareable damage to my brain chemistry.......

I took (illegal) drugs to get out of reality.....And now I take (prescribed) drugs to keep me in reality.....The Irony......Its actually very very sad...

·
Registered
631 Posts
See what I mean? Several explanations presented, some of them mutually contradictory, none of them verified empirically. Pick the explanation that you like the best.. From a practical perspective, what does it matter anyway? You know weed doesn't make you feel wonderful like it does for others, so just don't use it then.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I guess I should add that it is understood that those of us who have had tragic consequences from initial cannabis intoxication are a small subset of those who have experienced cannabis intoxication. I think I read once where some 30% of cannabis

smokers have had anxiety reactions, but I believe those experiences were transient and relatively mild compared to those of us who went to hell in a hand basket. None the less, we should be part of the larger cannabis discussion. I have no problem

with the legalization of cannabis. I have friends and relatives who operate much better after a few joints, than they do after a 6 pack of beer. I certainly don't think they deserve to be incarcerated for smoking a damn weed.

I view it as I do the peanut allergy. Some enjoy a nice peanut butter sandwich, and for others it is fatal. Why can't cannabis operate in a similar fashion?

No doubt, many unsuspecting young people will discover they were prone to dp/dr after the fact of smoking cannabis as it becomes legalized in many countries and US states.

I feel sorry for them already. They will become grist for the psychoanalysis mill. Many will live day to day, in hopes of a breakthrough in understanding, , as I did for 40 years.

I didn't acquire this illness because I deserved it, or because I was a bad person. No one deserves to have his existence altered in this manner. It is a living nightmare.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I guess I should add that it is understood that those of us who have had tragic consequences from initial cannabis intoxication are a small subset of those who have experienced cannabis intoxication. I think I read once where some 30% of cannabis

smokers have had anxiety reactions, but I believe those experiences were transient and relatively mild compared to those of us who went to hell in a hand basket. None the less, we should be part of the larger cannabis discussion. I have no problem

with the legalization of cannabis. I have friends and relatives who operate much better after a few joints, than they do after a 6 pack of beer. I certainly don't think they deserve to be incarcerated for smoking a damn weed.

I view it as I do the peanut allergy. Some enjoy a nice peanut butter sandwich, and for others it is fatal. Why can't cannabis operate in a similar fashion?

No doubt, many unsuspecting young people will discover they were prone to dp/dr after the fact of smoking cannabis as it becomes legalized in many countries and US states.

I feel sorry for them already. They will become grist for the psychoanalysis mill. Many will live day to day, in hopes of a breakthrough in understanding, , as I did for 40 years.

I didn't acquire this illness because I deserved it, or because I was a bad person. No one deserves to have his existence altered in this manner. It is a living nightmare.
Funny you mention the peanut allergy. I use that in my conversations with people about my experience of weed compared to them, as well as to come to the same conclusion as you do about legalization.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My experience with weed causing dpdr is a bit different than others on this forum, although I will say I am 100% confident it was caused by weed at this point. Rather than smoking once and having a grand panic attack that trapped me in this state, I started smoking when I was 16, and began to smoke almost every day by the time I was 17. Eventually I started to feel high even when I didn't smoke. I continued to smoke, and the feeling got worse. I thought that it was just how "being a stoner" felt, and that if I stopped it would go away. I had a panic attack in class one day where I felt like I had blacked out for a second so I freaked out and left the room. That was the first time I honestly thought I was going to die. I wasn't high but I may has well have been. I pinpoint that as the day my true dpdr started, as it wasnt really causing me distress or anxiety until then. I have had it for 7 years. For me, I could literally feel weed changing the chemistry of my brain at a young age. I was naive and thought it would reverse itself. It never did.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My experience with weed causing dpdr is a bit different than others on this forum, although I will say I am 100% confident it was caused by weed at this point. Rather than smoking once and having a grand panic attack that trapped me in this state, I started smoking when I was 16, and began to smoke almost every day by the time I was 17. Eventually I started to feel high even when I didn't smoke. I continued to smoke, and the feeling got worse. I thought that it was just how "being a stoner" felt, and that if I stopped it would go away. I had a panic attack in class one day where I felt like I had blacked out for a second so I freaked out and left the room. That was the first time I honestly thought I was going to die. I wasn't high but I may has well have been. I pinpoint that as the day my true dpdr started, as it wasnt really causing me distress or anxiety until then. I have had it for 7 years. For me, I could literally feel weed changing the chemistry of my brain at a young age. I was naive and thought it would reverse itself. It never did.
I can so identify with this (Especially the part about feeling high even when you didnt smoke) I was a regular weed smoker at one stage too and in the end it culminated in a huge crash one night......For the last year of my smoking career I felt stoned constantly and often couldnt tell the difference between normal and high....In a funny way I ended up being confused as to which was the right way to feel (High or Normal / I kinda couldnt tell the difference).....Does this sound familiar to all us DPers on here?.....Go figure!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well said. Thank you for this explanation!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The peanut allergy analogy is really spot on. I didn't realize how much sense it makes that as we have cannabis being legalized in more and more places worldwide that it's even more crucial now to inform people on the possible permanent side effects of weed involving DPDR. Geez, none of us deserve to be in the position we are now whether it was a result of smoking weed, any other drug or alcohol abuse, or trauma. I wish there was more light shed on this topic beforehand. Could've spared many of us a lot of suffering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can relate to this! My DR was triggered by trauma/stress and alcohol/other drug abuse but after years of only socially smoking once in a blue moon, I remember smoking a few months after the onset of my disorder and let me just say...I've made some pretty POOR choices in my life but that's definitely among one of the worst. I completely worsened my condition and since then it just seems like every month or so I'm going in a downward spiral. Funny because whenever I try to explain to someone what my DR is like I always reference being super, uncomfortably stoned to where you can hardly function-only 25/8.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
There is another thing I picked up from the stories of others, specifically those who had a trauma on cannabis, but woke up feeling OK. Then, after a few days, they went into chronic dp/dr. How might this work?

I had a friend who was seriously burned when his apartment exploded due to a gas leak. He was burned over 80% of his body. I saw him in the hospital and gave him encouragement. He was in good spirits and

he looked good. That afternoon, I played racquetball with a medical student friend. I mentioned my burned friend. When I told him he suffered 80% burns but looked good, he told me "he won't make it".

I was shocked and I asked why not. He reminded me that skin was an organ, and a number of things it accomplished had reserves for a few days. When those reserves are depleted, the patient goes down quickly

And my friend passed away in those few days. Back to the idea of gene switching. If you have a trauma that induces a gene switch, the protean made by that gene may be sufficient to facilitate a process for a few more days.

When it is depleted, it's over. Anyway, that's what I think might be happening to those who crash a few days after the trauma. And let's not forget that the body does some stupid things in a crisis. When a plaque on

an artery wall ruptures, your body sends the clotting team to the site of the rupture. In patching up the artery wall, they block the artery and give you a heart attack. When you are in dire psychic distress due to a bad trip,

there is no telling what stupid measures your brain takes to try to resolve the crisis.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts