Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started smoking weed pretty heavily when I was 16, and slowly I started to feel like I was a little stoned even when I wasn't. This happened over a period of months. It was a very slow process. It didn't all come on at once like it does for some people. I wasn't worried about it because I assumed if I stopped smoking weed it would go away. Well I'm 23 years old now lol and I'm still stuck in a permanent "high". I haven't smoked in about 3 years (although I have wanted to because weed helps with my anxiety and depression). I've always had a little bit of anxiety my whole life but the derealization has it at about 100 all the time. So I don't know if it's the anxiety keeping the DR going or if the weed altered my brain chemistry somehow and it's never going back. I mean, if weed caused it and it was going to go away it would've by now. At this point I have no memory of what being sober feels like. I don't drink or do any drugs except for xanax for my anxiety and some random cocktail of ssris my psychiatrist has me on. Sorry I'm rambling and this post is all over the place, I tend to do that. It's my brain hahah

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont know anything about the scientific explanation, but maybe i can share my thoughts on the matter. Because i think that everyone who got dp/dr from anxiety or weed is a VERY sensitive person. I smoked a lot of weed too when i was 14/15/16 years old and i always got SOOO stoned after so little weed. Once after smoking 5 grams it became black before my eyes and i couldnt hear anything anymore, that was my first panic attack with weed. I tried it a few times more after that experience but i was already anxious before taking it, i was afraid to relive that experience. Well, that definitely startled my anxiety for bodily sensations etc.

I dont know about you, but maybe you also experienced some panic after or during smoking weed? i dont know man, i have friends who smoke 10 grams a day and they dont even get altered by it. We people are probably already predisposed with underlying anxiety (heredity). Smoking weed or having bad social/illness anxiety can trigger this anxiety even more so that it shows itself at the surface. Our body shuts into freeze mode, because it's all becoming too much to handle. And in response to that we get more anxiety because we fear the freeze mode so much..

I'd like to believe that time could do wonders for SOME of us. The nervous system needs to calm down, like really calm down. And you have to give your body the best circumstances to heal. So if you're still feeling anxious about the DP/DR, you're body is not fully able to heal. Have you ever tried therapy, sth like acceptance and commitment therapy? it might do wonders for you, i dont know.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I recently came upon this concept while reading "Genome", which is a book on how your genes operate. Interaction with your environment can cause genes to turn on, or turn off. Psychological events, through modulation of gene activity, can cause physical changes in the body. When a gene is switched on, it typically creates proteins that contribute to a bodily process or function.

When switched off, that protein is not created and the process or function is absent. In a previous post, I articulated my belief that those who experienced a psychological trauma/panic attack while high on weed, may have induced gene switching activity. I believe this because many people report feeling fine the following day, but in 2 or 3 days they suddenly acquire dp/dr.

This could be explained by the discontinuation of a genetic process. Once a particular genetic process is switched off, it might take the body a few days to deplete the supply of chemicals provided when the gene was switched on. Once those chemicals are depleted, a change becomes noticeable.

It's no secret that weed alters brain chemistry. That's the whole point, isn't it? THC is a molecule that imitates a neurotransmitter, but it doesn't do the job of a neurotransmitter. It sneaks past the blood/brain barrier, and joins the party. It is sort of like putting sawdust (disguised as oil), into your transmission. You get some "funny" effects. (or not).

The brain has "plasticity", or the ability to learn and adapt. I'm not sure what psychoactive drug users are asking their brains to learn or what to adapt to. I'm a believer in the 2nd law of Thermodynamics, which states the law of Entropy. "All things tend to disorder". In other words, one cannot expect to toss the mind into the air, and expect it to land in better order than when it was tossed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
People have been asking these questions on this forum for years. Another question that seemed to come up alot was whether feeling depersonalization while high was common or a part of the high. A popular misconception that circulated on here was that it wasnt. Alot of us thought, wrongly, that because of what we felt during our bad highs, and then the aftermath, that there was no way having depersonalization while high was common.

So was the fear reaction to dissociation during cannabis intoxication a reason for the onset or was experiencing the dp while intoxicated a sign of an underlying issue and what was to come? Well from what Ive read about drugs and drug experiences, especially cannabis, is that its actually quite commonly a PART of the weed high. Many people experience a level of dp/dissociation while high on weed. Look up posts on different websites, videos on YouTube, and you'll notice that plenty of first time weed stories include detailed descriptions of dissociative feelings and events. So experiencing dissociation while high is common, but why some experience it while high and others dont, and why some continue to experience it afterwards....no one really knows.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Weed can and does alter brain chemistry....Dont think for one second weed is harmless...Because its not...Especially all that chemically enhanced crap these chemists are concocting nowadays...........

In fact the worst thing anybody who has DP can do is continue to smoke weed or take any other crazy illegal drug thats out there...

At least if you stop smoking completely you are giving your mind some kind of chance to heal....

To be honest the only reason anybody continues to smoke weed is because they are addicted....Of course all the stoners out there will tell you "Im not addicted, I can stop anytime" ........The problem is not stopping! ....The problem is staying stopped....

I would also advise you to avoid alcohol too....It can be seriously detrimental to a person who suffers from DP....Again just like weed...Great short term relief but the long term negative consequences are very serious....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Weed can and does alter brain chemistry....Dont think for one second weed is harmless...Because its not...Especially all that chemically enhanced crap these chemists are concocting nowadays...........

In fact the worst thing anybody who has DP can do is continue to smoke weed or take any other crazy illegal drug thats out there...

At least if you stop smoking completely you are giving your mind some kind of chance to heal....

To be honest the only reason anybody continues to smoke weed is because they are addicted....Of course all the stoners out there will tell you "Im not addicted, I can stop anytime" ........The problem is not stopping! ....The problem is staying stopped....

I would also advise you to avoid alcohol too....It can be seriously detrimental to a person who suffers from DP....Again just like weed...Great short term relief but the long term negative consequences are very serious....
Yes, this is all true, though I would also add that you don't really need chemical enhancements for a product to be harmful. My sister is a major weed smoker, she basically talks about weed in the same way religious people talk about God (she gets highly defensive if you say anything negative about her precious weed, lol). We have arguments about this all the time. She tells me "how can it be bad? It's natural!" Facepalm.

I don't have any scientific explanations, but I do think that some people are just "allergic" to marijuana (for lack of a better term...it's not truly an allergy).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies! I'm never smoking again but I hope I can eventually get rid of this feeling because it sure is hard to live with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts