Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like brain fog and general cognitive problems are a very common and distressing symptom of this condition yet I never see it talked about in the DSM or literally any descriptions of DP on the internet. Psychiatrists don't seem to understand this set of symptoms either.

Like what is causing me to suffer from slowed thinking? I have the physical sensation of brain fog but it's definitely not just a feeling, it 100% causes cognitive problems. Is it related to the detachment from thought process that comes with DP or a lack of certain neurotransmitters or what? Ugh...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dont think there is something like brain shutting off.People would be in serious problems if parts of the brain would shut off.
Its more like how the brain processes stimuli ,in DP i think the nervous system is in a depressed state ,like on alcohol

·
Registered
107 Posts
That would explain why alcohol makes it worse then, I know alcohol increases my DP/Blank mind state A LOT. I went from being a very social drinker, to feeling anti-social when I drink.

I'm glad you brought up this topic, i'd love to hear everyone elses thoughts. Cognitive problems are my main symptom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Although I dont have the classical DP/DR anymore I still have this solipsism shit going on in my head from time to time causing me to feel lonely and scared.
But the worst thing is how my short term memory seems to be like that of an old guy with Dementia.
Sometimes I am sitting on the couch thinking that i will go get a book from my rooms ,I go to the room ans forget what I wanted from the room.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I dont have the classical DP/DR anymore I still have this solipsism shit going on in my head from time to time causing me to feel lonely and scared.
But the worst thing is how my short term memory seems to be like that of an old guy with Dementia.
Sometimes I am sitting on the couch thinking that i will go get a book from my rooms ,I go to the room ans forget what I wanted from the room.
Yeah my memory is horrible. I'm sorry, seems to be a common symptom :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
My memory is in a weird state too. Something that happened earlier today feels like 2 weeks ago... I am forgetting shit I have done or said to someone. I can remember a decent bit of things throughout the week by can't place it in order, they seem like they are fading away and I am doomed. I feel weird as hell too, I know I am real but I feel like I am in a dream? I don't know what is going on, I feel like I am going insane or have alzheimers or something.. if anyone can relate let me know..

·
Registered
343 Posts
No idea, but I can relate.

I notice it from my inability to follow movies (nowadays) and process language. I need to put a lot of extra effort. I also need to reread sentences multiple times to grasp what's being communicated. The worst is that I'm constantly being reminded of it, every time I try to process some external information. When it comes to watching movies, I can never remember character names. I forget them literally 2 seconds after hearing them, so I end up not knowing who is who. It feels like I need to consciously try and follow closely, or I'll have no idea what's going on; it's not natural, "passive" viewing. It also makes me feel really stupid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No idea, but I can relate.

I notice it from my inability to follow movies (nowadays) and process language. I need to put a lot of extra effort. I also need to reread sentences multiple times to grasp what's being communicated. The worst is that I'm constantly being reminded of it, every time I try to process some external information. When it comes to watching movies, I can never remember character names. I forget them literally 2 seconds after hearing them, so I end up not knowing who is who. It feels like I need to consciously try and follow closely, or I'll have no idea what's going on; it's not natural, "passive" viewing. It also makes me feel really stupid.
Wow I can relate to this 100 prevent... I can't follow tv... It's like u forget literally everything.. Even movies I've seen before when I didn't had dp and DR. They don't even look tesame.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too have brain fog. It was caused by antidepressants. First, I lost my emotions which resulted in dp, then I got brain fog which resulted in dr. With each drug trial this got worse and worse. even after quitting, I'm left in this worse state. I have a degree in journalism but I can't write AT ALL ever since getting this shitty disorder. If I do write, its like kindergarten level. Dr for me is worse than dp. I don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bintuae- which anti depressant triggered DP in you? Was it a side effect of starting the medication or was it a withdrawal symptom when you got off of it? I’m scared to try any more meds now because the last 2 I tried made me feel worse.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kiwi 89- I think it was a withdrawal symptom and that strangely enough got worse when returning to the antidepressants I was on. I find drugs that target serotonin to be EXTREMELY bad for dp/dr . it could be because they tend to shut off emotions. I've tried Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro. I felt like a zombie. The worst one out of these 3 was Paxil. I also tried an SNRI, Pristiq, I found it to be bit less worse than SSRIs. 5-10% less maybe. What I don't understand is why I'm still left in this worse state than when I started even after quitting these drugs???

May I know what were the last 2 meds you've tried?

·
Registered
175 Posts
For users here who are gonna get angry at me for having and sharing such a negative opinion about ADs, thinking that I'm trying to scare people away from taking ADs. This was not my intention. I'm just sharing my experience. Please do try meds. Everyone responds to meds differently. You never know which one will help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
^

I agree with you. Such meds made it SO much worse for me. It makes real progress hard. Everything I worked on myself on one day, I woke up to have forgotten it, and the whole previous day, the next day!

I don't personally support the idea of being on a high dose on antipsychotics/antidepressants. It is just extremely bad for this disorder, IMO. Of course, everyone's experience, and story, is different.

And, hey, i'm glad to know I'm not alone with these cognitive issues such as repeating sentences and putting an extra effort into learning! Sometimes I'll be reading something for my class and not a single word I comprehend. I reread it, one, two, three times more. It does get better, but sometimes you cannot control it no matter what you do so you just gotta let it pass. I notice what makes it more severe for me. For example, too big font size overwhelms me, so does super bright colors, or like the lights.

I don't know why doctors just don't pay enough attention to these symptoms?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My dp/Dr happened while on antibiotics ,here I am with massive brainfog and memory loss with no sense of self ,it's horrible to live like this ,my personality is totally gone ,I find it weird that some ppl get it triggered from some meds ,it leaves me confused

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tried alot of different things nothing work ,brain just decided to turn against me and play me like a puppet leaving me with no control of it ,no matter what I do nothings makes it better ,not even relaxing ,nothing works nothing helps ,I wish it did

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happend to me while on antibiotics, is it possible to send a private message to you anitas?
Been looking but cant find and new on this site

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you. I tried :-( believe me my mind feels so poisoned and heavy diziness everyday with cognitive issues ,I don't even know what happened ,my mind feels dead ,hard to explain. ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts