Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

Whenever I take a baby dose (2.5mg = 1/4 of a tablet) of Oxazepam (Serax) it makes such a huge difference to my DP.

I'm always so confused how this small dose can reduce my DP to a tolerable state....?

I take it once or twice a week just to blow off some steam or whenever I wanna do something that makes me anxious.

While on it, I can hardly even recall what DP feels like. Sadly the effects of Oxazepam doesn't act that long and while on it I don't necessarily feel happy (I just feel calm, am able to focus on things and life feels tolerable). I could still feel unreal as do my surroundings, but I just don't care about it. When I don't use Oxazepam on a bad day, it's borderline unbearable (thoughts racing like crazy, can't focus on anything besides reading dpselfhelp and unable to feel body/emotions. During these days it just feels like I only have my primary senses, my confused mind and that's it).

And when I feel emotions while using Oxazepam its usually grief or sadness.. Feels like theres a big knot in my stomach and my throat.. It feels nice to cry when I experience this..

I prefer not to use Benzo's because I don't wanna become dependant on it, but my god... This stuff makes me feel kinda normal (But sadly also a bit depressed sometimes).

--

So my questions would be: Why do Benzo's work so well for me and for some they don't??

·
Registered
631 Posts
It could be that in your case, the benzodiazepines seem to work so well because your DP is anxiety -fueled. That's seems to be the case for many, but certainly not all, people with DP.

Bentos don't affect my DP at all. The only effect they have on me is placebo. Basically I take one before I have to do something that gives me anxiety and I get a small boost of confidence that I will be able to get through it.

How are you affected by SSRIs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm yeah I bet my DP is anxiety related.. now I just gotta find a way to address the anxiety in a natural way.. its something I would have to discuss with my psych. Benzo's also slows down my thought process which puts me into a position where I can think more rationally.

So weird how DP works. That theres also people who experience 0 anxiety and still have DP :s Whilst others have DP mainly because of anxiety..

SSRI actually put me into a deeper level of DP (Citalopram). At first I just had DR and when it almost subsided I wanted to try SSRI to fix my (social) anxiety but it gave me my first panic attack after a couple of days and I stopped taking it. This resulted in panic disorder which slowly turned into DPD.

Don't know, I'm kinda scared to start a new SSRI, but it might work in the long run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My DP/DR is also anxiety fueled.. I'm always on the brink of pushing myself a little bit to try more social engagements etcetera. But i'm always feeling sick days before i'm about to do it.. It's probably deep rooted in my system.

But i once recovered from this 6 years ago. That time i hadn't used any medication whatsoever, i just confronted all my fears and tried to live while having weekly panic attacks. I didnt even changed my diet or lifestyle back then.

This time it feels different, like i'm deeper in this state. This time i also changed my diet and lifestyle, i'm just waiting for a breakthrough right now.

But i dont know if medication is the way to go.. the road to recovery isnt easy, so you probably have to deal with a lot of shit to finally feel normal again.

Greetz from holland

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've dealt with anxiety since I was a young teenager severe anxiety to be precise followed by panic attacks and for me I still sometimes feel DP with benzos but I don't feel scared and anxious because of it

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've dealt with anxiety since I was a young teenager severe anxiety to be precise followed by panic attacks and for me I still sometimes feel DP with benzos but I don't feel scared and anxious because of it
I really don't understand this. If anxiety is a big cause of DP and DP brings more anxiety and the symptoms are more noticed (at least for me) Benzodiazepines lessen anxiety so they've helped me with the anxiety. If they are meant to calm the central nervous system (anxiety) why wouldn't they help you?

·
Registered
65 Posts
They do help me quite tremendously actually but they helped me in the same way they help you by reducing anxiety, and you think that as soon as anxiety is gone that you will no longer fill dpdr which in some cases is true but not most.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like the relaxed feeling benzodiazepines give, but they don't alleviate my DR.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Because Benzos relieve anxiety (For Some)..........They actually dont do squat fro me personally...Unless I take a seriously high dose...

Stress = Anxiety

Anxiety = DP

DP = More stress and More Anxiety........

Hence the magical mystery DP roundabout we all struggle to get off....

Stress, anxiety and DP all feed each other and also feed off each other...You eliminate one and the others start to fade too...

Be VERY CAREFUL with BENZOS.....They are NOT a long term solution to Anxiety and DP.....Its very very easy to build tolerance and then you have to take more of them more often for the desired affects....You are then in ADDICTED land....And trying to come off high doses of Benzos will NOT be a pleasant experience....

Just please tread carefully with them....

·
Registered
119 Posts
They help by relieving the anxiety which in my case worsen the Depersonalization. Since I get severe anxiety and have had DP almost all my life benzos have helped me a lot. I'm learning how to do Acceptance and Commitment Therapy now which includes Mindful Meditation which lessens overthinking and keeps you relaxed and in the present moment. The thinking patterns that come with anxiety is obsessing with the past or future and worrying. The "what if" thinking makes DP and anxiety worse. Learning to stop focusing on symptoms helps relax you. If you look up Acceptance and Commitment Therapy you'll understand what it helps. Another thing that can help anxiety is CBD oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Because Benzos relieve anxiety (For Some)..........They actually dont do squat fro me personally...Unless I take a seriously high dose...

Stress = Anxiety

Anxiety = DP

DP = More stress and More Anxiety........

Hence the magical mystery DP roundabout we all struggle to get off....

Stress, anxiety and DP all feed each other and also feed off each other...You eliminate one and the others start to fade too...

Be VERY CAREFUL with BENZOS.....They are NOT a long term solution to Anxiety and DP.....Its very very easy to build tolerance and then you have to take more of them more often for the desired affects....You are then in ADDICTED land....And trying to come off high doses of Benzos will NOT be a pleasant experience....

Just please tread carefully with them....
Thank you for responding!

The main symptom I'm struggling with now is 'being human' and anhedonia.. I feel the blank mind closing in on me and was barely able to speak at therapy today. I was focused on my ability to speak, see, hear and all that shit.. For me taking a benzo is the ONLY thing that will put me back on earth and gives me a coherent stream of thoughts..

Benzo's also remove the fear of having a body and being human for me.. I'm still feeling very robotic and feel confused but atleast I don't care about it and am able to go on with my day..

Would there be any long term alternatives that have a similar effect to benzo's Eddy?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My psych prescribed me Ativan today and holy shit.. I went from borderline suicidal this morning and EXTREME DP/DR to borderline euphoric... Ofc my DP is still there but I just feel so mellow and am willing to actually do stuff..

If this feeling would last for a while I could actually see myself climb out of this hell (with the right kind of therapy that is).

I can't get through therapy without a benzo because I get so nervous and can't formulate sentences.. I have to leave my sunglasses on during therapy because people look so alien like, whenever I focus on my therapist I get a panic attack just because of her face :S.. But with a benzo I feel alright (I feel like a human and I feel a minor sence of self).

Are there people who recovered purely with benzo's? Or maybe a combination of benzo + SSRI?

I have done accepting and all that shit, but that never worked for me and always pushed me into a worse condition.. Maybe med-route seems the only way for me to break the anxiety/OCD-loop thats going on 24/7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts