Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is very very personal for me because it makes me so angry,and i just want justification for my responses...my family seem to have adopted certain phases to describe me,rather than taking me at face value they use little terms

'your doom and gloom' whever i dissagree with something
'you sound spaced' whenever im daydreaming or away with the faires(as they say)
'your lazy' whever i feel like laying in bed
'your slurring your words' when ive had too much drink

now dont get me wrong but all this stuff was taken for granted before i was actually diagnosed with anxiety/depression, why now do they feel it neccessary to rip to pieces my personality before even listening to what im about to say,im human for christ sake ! i cant work on one level all of time...sometimes im happy,sometimes im sad,sometimes im in deep thought,sometimes i get drunk,for christ sake this stuff never mattered before why now analyze my every waking thought or movement

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is very very personal for me because it makes me so angry,and i just want justification for my responses...my family seem to have adopted certain phases to describe me,rather than taking me at face value they use little terms

'your doom and gloom' whever i dissagree with something
'you sound spaced' whenever im daydreaming or away with the faires(as they say)
'your lazy' whever i feel like laying in bed
'your slurring your words' when ive had too much drink

now dont get me wrong but all this stuff was taken for granted before i was actually diagnosed with anxiety/depression, why now do they feel it neccessary to rip to pieces my personality before even listening to what im about to say,im human for christ sake ! i cant work on one level all of time...sometimes im happy,sometimes im sad,sometimes im in deep thought,sometimes i get drunk,for christ sake this stuff never mattered before why now analyze my every waking thought or movement

·
Registered
723 Posts
i may be wrong but i think dp is really difficult and disturbing for family to get their heads round. it would be like being told your mum/dad/sis was on a constant bad acid trip. it would do my head in if i was them. the only way of dealing with it is to pretend to yourself that its not so bad. normal, glib sayings like you say your family use might be their way of getting through/dealing with it. if they didnt love you they wouldnt need this kind of defense. just a thought

·
Registered
723 Posts
i may be wrong but i think dp is really difficult and disturbing for family to get their heads round. it would be like being told your mum/dad/sis was on a constant bad acid trip. it would do my head in if i was them. the only way of dealing with it is to pretend to yourself that its not so bad. normal, glib sayings like you say your family use might be their way of getting through/dealing with it. if they didnt love you they wouldnt need this kind of defense. just a thought

·
Registered
413 Posts
i over heard my mum say on the phone to my nan that she wants the old me back :( she just wants me to feel normal and well again and she wishes she could really do something...

i really feel like i am letting her down :cry:

i will get better....but i want to be better now for her sake as well as mine so badly!

·
Registered
413 Posts
i over heard my mum say on the phone to my nan that she wants the old me back :( she just wants me to feel normal and well again and she wishes she could really do something...

i really feel like i am letting her down :cry:

i will get better....but i want to be better now for her sake as well as mine so badly!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive not been told im different than i was before but i can see it in peoples faces,but maybe this is just my transition through life...

this is going to sound pretentious and a bit over the top but i always remember this dog that would run towards me and my friends and let us stroke him and hed play with us,this went on for about a year,he was a lovely dog but one night this dog had a firework thrown at him and he had changed forever,he never came to us anymore and walked about all withdrawn and scared.....i now this spunds like some soppy story out of a book but it actually happened....i think thats what happened to me,i was this open friendly loving person,then i got trodden on so many times that i became bitter and cynical

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive not been told im different than i was before but i can see it in peoples faces,but maybe this is just my transition through life...

this is going to sound pretentious and a bit over the top but i always remember this dog that would run towards me and my friends and let us stroke him and hed play with us,this went on for about a year,he was a lovely dog but one night this dog had a firework thrown at him and he had changed forever,he never came to us anymore and walked about all withdrawn and scared.....i now this spunds like some soppy story out of a book but it actually happened....i think thats what happened to me,i was this open friendly loving person,then i got trodden on so many times that i became bitter and cynical

·
Registered
723 Posts
i dont think you come across as bitter or cynical. and although its through a screen you seem very open. maybe you just have a bit of a protective shell on with people at present. if i was you i think i'd pick the family member i felt it easiest to talk to and explain the way you're feeling. if nothing else it'll break down the shell a bit

·
Registered
723 Posts
i dont think you come across as bitter or cynical. and although its through a screen you seem very open. maybe you just have a bit of a protective shell on with people at present. if i was you i think i'd pick the family member i felt it easiest to talk to and explain the way you're feeling. if nothing else it'll break down the shell a bit

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont talk about it anymore 'pdr'
they just conclude that im the way i am,they dont accept it,they just look at me everyday for signs that i might be 'losing the plot' this hasnt happened yet but hey,who knows

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont talk about it anymore 'pdr'
they just conclude that im the way i am,they dont accept it,they just look at me everyday for signs that i might be 'losing the plot' this hasnt happened yet but hey,who knows

·
Registered
723 Posts
mmm dont really know then. you could always try taking the ****, like stick a couple of pencils up your nostrils for the next visit

·
Registered
723 Posts
mmm dont really know then. you could always try taking the ****, like stick a couple of pencils up your nostrils for the next visit

G

·
Unless I'm unaware of how I am being perceived,which is highly possible, I don't think my family has one clue what is going on with me. I use to get report cards when I was in elementary school with comments in the behavior section that stated I daydreamed and looked out the window during class time. I was always at the top of my class grade wise so my parents never worried about it. They just assumed I was bored.

:twisted:

G

·
Unless I'm unaware of how I am being perceived,which is highly possible, I don't think my family has one clue what is going on with me. I use to get report cards when I was in elementary school with comments in the behavior section that stated I daydreamed and looked out the window during class time. I was always at the top of my class grade wise so my parents never worried about it. They just assumed I was bored.

:twisted:

·
Registered
967 Posts
storm,

thats EXACTLY what happened to me when i was a kid. notes home all the time saying what a bright and sweet girl i was.. but a consumate daydreamer. the only thing that i found that brought it all together for me is this book called "women with ADD". in the book they describe my childhood experience 'to a tee' so much so that i cried through the whole book it was a total mind trip to know that i wasnt really a consumate daydreamer.. i actually had a real disorder. when think about it i get so angry. so i try just to not think about my elementary school experience at all.

anyways.. even if youre not a woman.. i think it would behoove you to read this book.
http://www.sarisolden.com/

this book is another one by the author that im gonna get. you can read excerpts from the book in the link posted above.

heres a great link..
http://www.mindpub.com/art135.htm

·
Registered
967 Posts
storm,

thats EXACTLY what happened to me when i was a kid. notes home all the time saying what a bright and sweet girl i was.. but a consumate daydreamer. the only thing that i found that brought it all together for me is this book called "women with ADD". in the book they describe my childhood experience 'to a tee' so much so that i cried through the whole book it was a total mind trip to know that i wasnt really a consumate daydreamer.. i actually had a real disorder. when think about it i get so angry. so i try just to not think about my elementary school experience at all.

anyways.. even if youre not a woman.. i think it would behoove you to read this book.
http://www.sarisolden.com/

this book is another one by the author that im gonna get. you can read excerpts from the book in the link posted above.

heres a great link..
http://www.mindpub.com/art135.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts