Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there go-getters: people that will all recover from this time to time!

As a notification beforehand, this IS a positive post and no sentence in here should give any of you even a second
of desparation. I even wish that you will all provide yourself from your favorite drink or food while reading. If
you don't got it at home, please, walk to your neighbourhooded mini-marked and get it. I would be so happy if you
guys really do this and won't just see it as a funny quote, but something you wouldn't actually do. Why do I hope
you will? - And yes, please stop reading before you provided yourself with it, this text won't be gone - Well,
depersonalization and derealization (As you see, I write it as full words and not just as two-lettered
abbreviations because we do NOT have to feel any fear for them), are states in mind that make you feel like you
are in their control. When you're walking down the streets you're constantly busy in your mind trying to see the
world trough it's old perspective. I don't know you in person, but oh yes, I DO know your situation and I know you
do this. You're waiting for that invicible fleece to crack so that you're finally able to feel that you're really
ON the street again, and not just watching a mind-projected street where real contact is impossible. You're
missing that one moment of subsidence to feel your feet on the ground again. Am I correct? If I am, you're lucky
because we have something in common and I am going to tell you a thing you really should know to drop a load off
your shoulders: you are not in their control!

1. YES, you'd become in an over-conscious state because of this problem that came into your life.

Of course: depersonalization and derealization are 100% real and excicting states in the human mind, that in
normal cases automatically be turned on by your brain in situations where it's necessecary to prevent yourself
from overreacting. This results in preventing that really heavy feelings or emotions can become harmfull for
yourself. This is done by dissocating your consciousness from your emotions and view-of-reality: depersonalization
and derealization. Of course (like al the other wonderfull and extreme functional mechanisms that are constantly
helping us in our human being) -they're absolutely mind-blowing by the way, but our body's natural response is to
turn out depersonalization and derealization directly when it's not neseccary anymore.
So asset no.1: Our mind is constantly willing to work with us, not against us, this is extremely important to
know, your mind is your friend and not your enemy!

So, first thing we know: our minds are trying to turn of a mechanism but aren't able to fully do this yet. What's
the reason for this? Well, a lot of more people experienced their brains using this mechanism (yes, every brain is
created with the possibility to use it, so of course), but we are the people that ended up on this forum with a
defect on-off switch, why is that?

Well, all of us in here are set to be thinkers, we like it to be in ourselves some of the time, we are people that
not just do something without having mind-processes going on about that thing what you're doing. And even if you
don't experience yourself as a person having this, you have it int some way, yes, in some kind of way your mind is
a mind that is set to understand it's processes and don't just let it for what it is. - THIS, IS, AN, A-MA-ZING,
QUALITY! It offers us a thousand benefits in life and not so much cons, most characteristics are about equal in
pro's and cons, but this is a so special one! I can just think about one con, and that is the one that made me end
up here: we can become over-conscious. Becomming conscious again, instead of over-consicous, is our link to help
our big buddy (the mind) push the switch from on to off again and cure depersonalization and derealization by
time!

2. What are we doing wrong?

Do you know the song from Passanger, Let her go? If you don't know it, listen it. The amazing lyrics: 'Only know
you've been high when you're feeling low' is the core of the defect on-off switch from our WHOLE problem! Have you
ever tried to feel yourself breaking trough an invisible fleece to stand in 'reality' again before you experienced
depersonalization and derealization? No, of course not, you didn't know how it would be feel to experience it.

Before you felt this way you wasn't over-consciousness, no you was just conscious. now we are constantly thinking
that there is a fleece we need to break, but there isn't. We are in the world, we are here, we aren't
hallucinating a sub-reality, no everything we see is the reality, we are here and everything is real. Our minds
are just stuck in a proces of thinking that we ARE, and this, yes this, is what depersonalization and
derealization is...

They are real, yes your experience is 100% real, you have seen things and experienced things different than other
people do. But we suffer from that we've been both 'high' and 'low'. Our mind did a little forgot of how we used to act in our good undepersonalizad state. we aren't busy there focussing on our consciousness, no were just conscious (but not conscious of being conscious). If this is how we can manage ourselves to life again, your mind will soon have enough energy to push the on-off switch the last bit in the right direction!

3. Life!

And oh, well, enjoy your goodies!

Take care!

G

·
This is all good and I agree with it. Was eating eggs and toast while drinking a Rockstar Orange Recovery when I read it :) Are you recovered?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell yeah mate, that makes me have a really powerfull smile on your face! Accepting this made me recover for 99%, of course fully leting go will take some time because we've all been 'out' for a while and need to refresh the use of our though but YES I CAN LIVE AGAIN, you all will! Take care and keep me in touch! Btw i love Rockstar Orange too :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyway: we should always look at things in a positieve point of view! And without experiencing this, I would've never found my interest in studying clinical psychology later. I want everyone to be able to cure from conditions like this in time, and that's the reason why I joined the forum, I wanna provide you with the knowlegde that will be our weapons! So don't stuck in thinking negative about this condition: we have an extreme worthfull experience for the rest of our life that provided us with a lot of cognition and courage - and luckily we will all be cured! Think about that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a very interessting quetion that came up in my mind when I started researching this subject at the very beginning. What I think is the following: There must be a part of the brain that's responsible for activating the natural mechanism, else it couldn't exist at all, there must be some core where it comes from, one of the glands could be the solution but this one needs more research. The next thing to know is this, what depersonalization and derealization actually do is making yourself conscious of being conscious instead of being conscious as tool in our everyday life. This is also the reason that most derealized brains don't show any very shocking information at scans except sometimes a little high processes in some parts. What we do is again 'the Passanger - Let Her Go Effect', because we experienced the way how it is to be in this state, we now have te possibility to stay into it by ourselves. Without experiencing depersonalization and derealization once by the natural core we couldn't now how this would be and wouldn't be able to stay into it. When we drive ourselves far away from this proces by knowing this, our mind will forget it time to time.

G

·
I have an understanding that.. dissociation was 'activated' b/c of the stress and fear in my life when I was young, and continued as my 'go to' method of coping with overwhelming fear, pain, stress etc all the way through my adult life.. it became my 'normal' way of coping (and worked very well I might add). I can see now that whenever a major stress comes into my life, I automatically start to dissociate. The worse the stress or fear, the more powerful the dissociation.

It seems the fear can be either an actual direct fear or threat, or even a perceived fear or threat. A situation that resembles a past experience in which I was hurt can be enough to trigger a response of fear. A person who resembles someone who was mean to me, can also trigger fear. As soon as I begin to fear, naturally my mind wants to dissociate.. but I don't like that method of 'protection' anymore.. most of the time I don't require protection either.. b/c the threat is only perceived and not a direct or real threat, plus, I'm an adult, I can generally look after myself quite ok.

There's a lot more to dissociation than that… this is just some stuff I've talked over with my therapists..

Where IS the off button??? Bit of a design fault huh?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautifully said! Again a bit of 'the passanger effect' thats affecting us. We now know how to dissociate strongly so we can do it. We just need to try to take things for what they're, because apart of our experiences, they're, and we can cure from our over-consciousness. We need to help our mind pushing the button. But again: where it is, what it exactly is, we don't know yet, but it's very interessting and helpfull for in the future, I think alot about it!

·
Registered
784 Posts
This sounds like breaking out of an obsession slowly. When I got dp from a nervous breakdown it hit me suddenly. I was amazed at this new world and thought it was strange but not terribly worried about it since it was at night and I would soon go to sleep and wake up back to normal. When I woke up the next day and still saw it there it confused me and then started to consume me. Maybe I started an obsession, but I can't really say it's a conscious obsession. Now I don't think about my dr at all and live life as best I can but it's still there in the background. I seem to notice it more at night for some reason. I wonder if there is still some kind of obsession with it but nothing that I am aware of...especially when I have a busy and active lifestyle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts