·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see no difference.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well many of us are still aware we exist, just very uncomfortably. I'm sure a lot of people on this board don't truly believe they are dead or don't exist. I think Cotard's is more a paranoid delusion, where that belief is very strongly held and possibly unshakable. Our ability to separate the feeling of not existing from actually fully believing that we don't exist would be the key difference here, I imagine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think Cotard's is more a paranoid delusion, where that belief is very strongly held and possibly unshakable. Our ability to separate the feeling of not existing from actually fully believing that we don't exist would be the key difference here, I imagine.
^^^

Exactly. As a person who actually has a psychotic disorder (albeit not yet diagnosed), Chicane is absolutely right here. While I don't actually have Cotard's syndrome, I've acquainted myself with the definition of it and other similar conditions and I can say that it's different from DP/DR. Not to mention, Cotard's is extremely rare, as well.

·
Jedi Knight
428 Posts
The phrase "reality testing" is used in this context. From wikipedia --

Although the disorder is an alteration in the subjective experience of reality, it is not a form of psychosis, as the person is able to distinguish between his own internal experiences and the objective reality of the outside world. During episodic and continuous depersonalization, the person can distinguish between reality and fantasy. In other words, the grasp on reality remains stable at all times.
Which actually comes from something by Simeon and Abugel apparently, most likely Feeling Unreal.

Reality testing is also part of the diagnostic criteria for DPDR from the DSM-IV, I believe.

Reactions: dissoziation
1 - 4 of 4 Posts