Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I started having thoughts of if it was better to be a animal woth no thought thoughts or feeling than to be a human today and it's like my brain took a huge punch. Higher thouhts make no sense. Everything feels meaningless and arbitrary. Concepts are illusions that our minds made up. Why do we want to exist or have fun? What is fun, why can't we have fun like animals chasing a ball or something. What is math? What is morality? What is music? Music is just random sounds, why do we get meaning out of it? What is meaning? What are thoughts? Why does our thoughts see meaning in things? What is dating? Or MARRIAGE? What is anything?

Everything about existence seems completely arbitrary and meaningless now. Nothing means anything. Our minds are trying to input meaning into things but it doesn't mean anything. Nothing matters. Is this dp doing this to me? I'm so scared this is the worst thoughts I have had yet. I feel so disillusioned with everything. Nothing about existence makes sense anymore. What should I do? I'm so freaked out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, that is DP.

Like I tried to tell you in your other thread, let go dude. There is no reason you need to sit and ponder about all those things. Accept everything as it is. Focus on what you can change. I was exactly like you before, and I am now almost 100 percent cured. Learn to break the obsessive thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, that is DP.
From what I gather from this, I'd say this is more along the lines of unhealthy ruminating or obsessive thoughts than necessarily anything to do with DP. All I see is obsessing over abstract matters. Many of these questions could also be answered with common sense:

What is fun? The pleasant feeling of being entertained that we get from an activity. Why can't we have fun like animals chasing a ball or something? Because owing to our greater intelligence, we demand more to be entertained. We also chase balls-as evident when you explore the cornucopia of sports games built around it-and derive some fun from it, but there's a deeper layer built on top of it, namely the sports game. It also involves the thrill of competition. What does that stem from? Possibly from us striving to be better than our peers and deriving satisfaction from that. We have fun because fun equals the good feeling of being entertained and engaged in an activity. We want to have fun because we like good feelings.

But I digress. I think that in DPDR, there should be definite perception abnormalities, such as feeling detached from oneself or surroundings, so based on this post, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of calling this DP/DR.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's just so difficult. I feel as if I don't fight back against these thoughts I will lose my humanity and turn into some nihilist or something. That's why it's hard for me to shake this.
(Sorry for the double post; I have no idea how to add a quote to an existing post.)

You won't simply turn into anything. There is no "pandora's box" in your mind that, when opened, will change you profoundly like that into some kind of monster. This whole "going insane" thing is just an unfounded stereotypical notion. You don't need to fight your thoughts like that. If anything, it's counterproductive because by avoiding thinking about certain things, you will think of those things all the more. Consciously avoiding thinking of X as a rule involves thinking of X.

I get all sorts of grotesque thoughts on a regular basis, but so what? They are just thoughts and questions, thoughts that will be never acted upon and questions that can't be answered.

The only thing possibly damaging your sanity in the long run is your own obsession with your thoughts and controlling them because that's not a natural thing to do. Those thoughts, no matter what, aren't an enemy. My advice is to stop obsessing about your thoughts and classifying certain cognitions as forbidden. That will only worsen your predicament. I'd even go so far as to say that it underlies and causes it.

I also question things much like you, but I don't have such an unhealthy relationship with it. I simply let my thoughts flow and contemplate on them if I land on something compelling. I'm not afraid of thinking of certain things. I know I'm a deeply moral and rational human being, and that can never be shaken by any sort of thought, taboo or not. I don't know about external influences, such as being subject to torture for 50 years in a row, but I'm 100% certain that I can't "think myself to insanity"-and neither can you! I don't believe in that whatsoever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts