Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this term used to freely nowadays....i have a friend who had a breakdown and for two years his wife had to look after him...
now hes still quite wary about overdoing things but hes fine and we sometimes chat on the phone,but all he can tell me is one day it was snowing outside and he was found walking the streets,and he wasnt even able to clothe himself...
hes a very successful business man and it was the pressure of his work that made him crack,but he was never put into a hospital he just basically stayed at home for two years

G

·
I like the term but it's really not used anymore.

It's basically a sudden onslaught of mental symptoms that are not caused by brain or neuorological damage. It's caused when the psychological defenses just crumble - due to stress, life events, poor defenses to begin with, inner change that is scary to the self, conflicts, mounting fears that one day become too much, etc...

But the term was basically replaced by "disorder" so now we have Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Disorders, Depressive Disorders, etc....

In the olden days, grin, a person had a nervous breakdown and showed symptoms of anxiety or obsessions or depression or...whatever.

Most people would rather think they have a "disorder" than think their neurotic defenses couldn't cut it anymore.

Peace,
Janine

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guess I have had a few of them :\

G

·
yeah Janine as you know its a great feeling, hey btw Janine, ive been meaning to ask you, do you got a tatoo? cuz in your picture it looks like you have one? if so what is it?? you don't gotta answer if you don't want, i was just curious, i didn't picture you as the type of person to have one ( no offense lol)

G

·
I got the tatoo after I recovered from my 20 year nervous breakdown, lol..

seriously, that's about right. I got it on my 40th birthday - it's an image of a little girl, wild and kind of dangerous looking, bursting through the skin of my upper arm, holding barbed wire and smiling kind of a smirk.

I drew it myself, brought it to a prominent tattoo artist in Woodstock NY, and she replicated it (took about 4 hours to do the process)

See? We just never know who's who by appearances, grin grin.

Yo snizzle.

·
Former Moderator
1,273 Posts
hmm...jc's "nervous breakdown" subject seems to have collapsed much more entirely than i have yet (ie. i still can dress myself, and don't yet wander the streets aimlessly). I wonder...is this version of a NB something that we have to look forward to?

s.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats why i question this sometimes,as i somedays cant understand how i can possibly keep beating up my nervous system on a daily basis

·
Registered
556 Posts
Although I am a nervous wreck, I can't say I've ever had a nervous breakdown. Us with DP are probably too desensitized and naturally removed to even have a nervous breakdown.

This term is thrown around very loosely sometimes. People with real nervous breakdown's often will show psychotic symptoms and are removed from society until their brain recovers from all the stress. I hate it when people use this term and have no idea what a nervous breakdown really is. The same goes with panic attacks. I here people talk about how they had a panic attack when all they did was get really nevous. People with real panic attacks don't like talking about them, at least so publicly and openly.

G

·
Hi, I thought that I too was about to have a nervous breakdown, when low and behold... I became depersonalized, so, no breakdown, unless that;s what it was. Then too I've had many episodes of hearing voices, seeing things that aren't there, (or are they?) Who knows? I sure don't know anything anymore. I'm taking so many drugs now that I wonder if I'll ever be able to come back from the breakdown.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SoulBrotha said:
^ so your Schizophrenic?
comeon man
be kind,you cant make harsh statements like that without getting the facts,the poor girl is probably worried out of her mind right this minute now

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alot of these meds can cause you to hear and see things,only yesterday i was talking to a neighbour and he was prescribed seroxat and he was seeing and hearing things

G

·
JC WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

I ASKED HER IF SHE WAS SCHIZOPHRENIC

first off thats not even a statement its a question!! how is that harsh? im just wondering if she has schizophrenia, i don't see what the big deal is??? This is what i mean sometimes, people blow things way out of proportion. I ask a simple question & people think im being offensive. I want to know where in that question i disrespected her?????

someone give me an answer

G

·
JC WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

I ASKED HER IF SHE WAS SCHIZOPHRENIC

first off thats not even a statement its a question!! how is that harsh? im just wondering if she has schizophrenia, i don't see what the big deal is??? This is what i mean sometimes, people blow things way out of proportion. I ask a simple question & people think im being offensive. I want to know where in that question i disrespected her?????

someone give me an answer

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh no, SoulBrotha, please don't shout - it doesn't feels nice... :( I guess jc meant that asking a person is she schizophrenic is a kind of strong question. If one is in a miserable condition, one may be very sensitive to that kind of questions, as I'm pretty sure the person is questioning hir mental health even by hirself. By the way, if one is hearing and/or seeing things that aren't there, one can still enjoy perfect mental health. I know one person who does, and I could say I am a bit envious toward her - me too would be fascinated if I would be able to see Indian deities and other stuff like that sometimes. Well, I can also understand that seeing/hearing things can be distressing too - but in no way that means mental illness, if one does question hir condition at the same time and doesn't think what s/he is experiencing is perfectly true.

G

·
so Ninnu your tellin me if someone is hearing voices & seeing things that aren't there, that there is still a chance that they are mentally healthy? I some how find that very hard to believe.

Peace

·
Registered
327 Posts
SoutBrotha - yes I think so, as I know one person who keeps seeing and hearing things sometimes. She sees Indian deities and other mythic stuff, and is fascinated because of them, but at the same time she knows what she experiences are just visions. She is full capable to work and do the other mundane tasks in her everyday life, and that's why I am convinced that hearing and seeing things only doesn't mean one is mentally ill in every case. One thing that makes the difference is how one sees those experiences, does s/he embrace them fully and think s/he's enlightened, or does s/he see them only as special hallucinations. It is not the one who hallucinates, but it is the question does those hallucinations lead one's life and make one believe in them - in that case one is truely psychotic. But if one knows they are just hallucinations - in that case one has only a special kind of vivid imagination, I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts