Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first signs of DP recovery for me came about five months in. I started to feel the environment around me becoming less dreary and glazed over and my vision (my eyes were a bit blurry during my DP cycle) stated becoming clearer. The ''dream world'' feeling came to an end by the late fall (this was about 8 years ago) and I felt like I was back on planet earth.

Emotions, memory issues, executive functioning etc. are still problems for me to this day though. Though I don't feel nearly as ''detached'' from my emotions lately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With me, it started slowly. I was in severe depersonalization for a good while. I noticed the I was able to connect emotionally, or perhaps subconsciously, to the world around me in different and noticeable ways. The world I lived in in DP state was not where I was before, and as many reading this will understand, it's impossible to really explain it to someone else. Where I am now is, I think, more than halfway recovered. I think it's likely very different in each person's case, at least in some ways. But improvement was easily noticeable, and real. Not all that quick, it took time, but real. If your case goes like mine, the improvement is gradual, and understandable

·
Registered
40 Posts
With me, it started slowly. I was in severe depersonalization for a good while. I noticed the I was able to connect emotionally, or perhaps subconsciously, to the world around me in different and noticeable ways. The world I lived in in DP state was not where I was before, and as many reading this will understand, it's impossible to really explain it to someone else. Where I am now is, I think, more than halfway recovered. I think it's likely very different in each person's case, at least in some ways. But improvement was easily noticeable, and real. Not all that quick, it took time, but real. If your case goes like mine, the improvement is gradual, and understandable
Yes.
You're absolutely correct. That's the way it unfolds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd some short recoveries before, but I constantly slipped back.
I've never had any clue why and how I got out and back in (I do suspect it has something to do with dopamine levels though).

1. My clarity lasted for 2 weeks, the recovery session took about 0,5-1 hours.
My feelings about everything around me slowly started to change. It felt a little bit like slipping into derealization and it really was scary for a moment, but also a little different.
The main difference was, I just knew with all of my being that my mind is now on the right path and that I'm slowly crawling out. I didn't want to intervene in the process - that I felt was a miracle in the making - so I just tried to stay calm and focus on something else, letting my brain do it's thing.

2. The clarity only lasted for an hour or so - I felt the whole time it'll be just temporary -, the recovery session took just a few seconds/minutes.
That time everything around and inside me just cleared up quite quickly and calmness ran through all my body, then other feelings as well.

3. Everything cleared up inside and outside quite quickly (maybe in a few mins or less), feelings became stronger.
[This time - unrelatedly - some painful feeling happened to take over that I could barely bear, and I suddenly understood why my brain had to numb my feelings -.-" DP slowly came back again but much less agressively than before, my brain was like "OK that was too early but I've got you". ]

All in all, when recovery time was longer it was just a little scary and absolutely bearable, I felt the entire time how things will be better.
At other times it was a quite sudden change for me, not leaving time to worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts