Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you just feel completely back to normal or is it always in the background? I feel like the only way to get over this thing is to forget that it ever happened... but I keep finding myself back on this forum, obsessing about my symptoms. I only read the recovery stories, but it’s just so hard to believe that people can go back to their normal lives 100%. In terms of recovery, I’m almost fully recovered, but i still feel a little bit off and dp/dr never leaves my mind. Advice?

·
Registered
445 Posts
For me what it felt like was completely giving up on recovery altogether, i then got on with my life feeling like a space cadet all the time. A year down the line i was working out in the park amd realised i was my old self again, it was completely gone. In short, there's no magical moment where it all pops back into place, but there is a moment when you realise you perfectly clear and living life to the fullest again. When youre recovered its not present at all

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
For me, it felt like I faked 40 years of my life. Ecclesiastes: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"

Except when you are dp'd. The seasons come and go, and the purposes remain unfulfilled. Like water over the dam. Then you recover

and you ask yourself. WTF happened to my life?

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large automobile?"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife"

But, you are grateful to have recovered because you never thought it possible after so much time and so much pain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me, it felt like I faked 40 years of my life. Ecclesiastes: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"

Except when you are dp'd. The seasons come and go, and the purposes remain unfulfilled. Like water over the dam. Then you recover

and you ask yourself. WTF happened to my life?

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large automobile?"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife"

But, you are grateful to have recovered because you never thought it possible after so much time and so much pain.
How severe was your DP/DR, and are you completely recovered now? And wow, honestly your story sounds like an embodiment of the phrase 'beautiful melancholy.'

·
Administrator
974 Posts
For me what it felt like was completely giving up on recovery altogether, i then got on with my life feeling like a space cadet all the time. A year down the line i was working out in the park amd realised i was my old self again, it was completely gone. In short, there's no magical moment where it all pops back into place, but there is a moment when you realise you perfectly clear and living life to the fullest again. When youre recovered its not present at all
I think that sometimes giving up the fight is just what we need to do. We're only really fighting with ourselves and that's a fight we can't win. This can be the trick to self-acceptance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The day comes when you can't tell the difference between your present day self and the you who you were before the onset of your DP/DR.
It'll happen. Just keep up the good fight, and stay connected and distracted by doing things you still get an inkling of enjoyment out of. Slowly but surely it sloughs off like mud, and your mind recovers from its sprain. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think that sometimes giving up the fight is just what we need to do. We're only really fighting with ourselves and that's a fight we can't win. This can be the trick to self-acceptance.
I didn't realise it at the time but it's completely the right thing to do. I gave up on recovery because I woke up every weekend for 3 months like "yes today is the day I finally enjoy the day"... but it never came, at least not whilst I forced it. DP also gave me the sense that death was right around the corner, so in many ways my recovery came when I accepted death and just said "throw what you will at me". It's a really hard mindset to get into because of course we all want recovery but by focussing on DP in many ways we perpetuate it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts