Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been trying so hard for more than 6 months to force myself to get back to my old self and face things exactly like I used to and get back to my life right where I left it. And I'm realizing it's been 6 months where I'm stuck in almost the same place.

So I feel like a mentally challenged guy right now and can't do my old job as well as before? Why not start a part time job that requires less mental effort but that can also benefit my CV on the long run. It's better than putting unemployed for this long period of time.

And I'm used not eat healthy and stay up late and still be fit and sharp mentally? Well things are not the same anymore, I should start eating healthy and working out daily and get a good night sleep.

I used to have tons of friends and was social with everyone and now I'm irritated by most people? Why not have a close friend or two, and do things I can enjoy with them, instead of trying to fake being the cool guy around again.

What I'm trying to say is, it's maybe wrong to stop and search for a cure, to put your life on hold and hold your high expectations you had when you were yourself, and try to totally get back to yourself in a short period. What kept me in this cycle is the fear of accepting DP and letting go more of my old self.

But I'm starting to realize that I'm not benefiting.

I will also start some medications soon, as I read a lot and heard from friends that medications were very helpful. I've been resisting that too because my illness wasn't triggered by any drug or medication, so I felt able to treat it naturally but I am convinced that I need a boost.

Can it be a bad thing for my DP to try to lower my expectations in life, and start having feasible goals in my condition? Is that giving up on returning back to normal? Or is it a helpful and effective plan as it simply sounds? Maybe a plan against what I said would be "fake it till you make it"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's not really lowering expectations... it's working in a much more efficient method: divide and control.
It's basically approaching problems from a very useful point of view- the "big" problem or task is divided into
Many smaller manageable parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.