Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had DP long term and the anxiety is really making life difficult, specifically panic attacks.

I have never tried any medication but I want to do so to try and cope with life again.

I have seen Dr's in the past about DP and they have tried to be helpful but had no idea really what I was talking about.

So I want to go back and ask for some anti-anxiety medication but have no idea really what to ask for. I'm guessing they will offer me a low dose of something to try.... is there any name or label I should request or anything I should avoid? I understand it takes trial and error but wondered if the normal medication they give out for anxiety is the best place to start, or if I should ask for a certain one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
Skip the doctor, go to a Physiatrist!!!!

Print off DP from the DSM-5

http://traumadissociation.com/depersonalization

and most here respond to a combination of an Antidepressant with an Antipsychotic. I know from personal experience my anxiety is A LOT lower with Antipsychotic paired with AD than just an AD (antidepressant).

Don't take Zoloft IMO, just tell them you've tried it or it didn't work or something, but i just think it seems not useful for DP and I am biased but I have tried a lot of medication and read a lot of peoples experiences.

There is literally hundreds of combinations, i'll give you an example of one i liked:

Olanzapine 20mg - AS

Mirtazapine 15mg - AD

this line of thinking is used a lot here.

You could start even smaller, with a 'Beta Blocker' google that, it just calms down the adrenaline, so will stop panic attacks, might be all you need..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts