Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Went to therapy today

877 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  James_80 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys, today was my first therapy session with a psychologist. I was extremely nervous since I havnt been to any kind of therapy for 3 years now. It was more of him getting to know me and asking why I'm there. I mentioned the dissociation and he didn't have much to say on it since we just started. At one point I got so anxious I started dissociating more and felt like I was a million miles away from him it was actually kind of scary but I tried my best to ignore that it was happening, or more so just try to accept that it was happening while we were talking. I think it was the first time I really felt that EXTREME "spaced out" feeling. Kind of confirmed for me that I am definitely still experiencing some kind of dissociation despite my doubts the past couple months. Honestly most of the session is a big blur to me, almost felt like it never happened. I'm hoping the more I go and talk about stuff it will help me in some way start to heal. I still have huge doubts but I'm trying to keep an open mind. He suggested I definitely do weekly sessions with him for a bit.

#2 ·
Well, I'm not surprised you felt shitty, that's all talk therapy does. I don't tell you this to dash your hopes, I want you to recover. But talk therapy cannot, will not cure dpdr. It's only offered as a solution as the medical profession don't know jack shit about dpdr.

Are you doing anything else to help your recovery?

#3 ·
@Heather414,

It is a huge step for you, I am so glad you did it. I followed your posts, and I know how hard everything was for you during last months.

The T may not address DP at all, at least for now, so don't be disappointed if things do not clear out as soon as you expect them to. If you feel able, it could be beneficial to write down you impressions from the therapy, whatever you manage to remember, and keep a journal of your thoughts and routines. In addition to DPDR, I also have dissociative amnesia that selectively erases certain type of information from my conscious memory, but even without this unfortunate condition, I think I would have forgotten anyway some important clues to my recovery if I hadn't written them down. It also helps to go back and read some old entries, so you can make better sense of your recovery.

Take care and good luck with therapy!
A.

#4 ·
I've never heard of therapy being suggested for DP by a medical professional, though I assume it happens sometimes. Heather has told us that she's going through several things in her life besides DP, like most of us are. Besides, DP seems to be associated with anxiety for many people, which therapy can help with.
They got me to do it 5 years ago for dpdr. I assumed it was for the dpdr angle just because it was on the forum. I'm sorry I have a really dim view of talk therapy. I didn't mean to be insensitive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.