Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My depersonalization has gotten really weird lately. I look down at my body and it doesn't look like my body. When I turn and look at things, I wonder how because I feel like I don't have a head or neck. I feel lightheaded all the time as well. The most frightening symptom that I have is when I touch things, I feel it, but it doesn't seem like it's me touching it. Right now holding my phone is weird because I feel like it's not really me holding my phone even though I can feel it. Also, when people touch me, it doesn't feel like it really happened. I also have derealization so everything feels like a dream. Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe and I'm scared I'm just gonna fall over and die. I'm also nauseous all the time. Anyone else have these symptoms? Particularly the touch problem that I am dealing with? Will I ever get back to normal?!

·
Registered
978 Posts
You aren't dying. You are dissociating. You are also in a state of anxiety and panic by the sound of it.

I am guessing 99% of us have had that tough, feel, out of body feeling that you talk about, that's a big part of 'dissociating' i.e. feeling out of your own body.

Nausea... well adrenaline makes you nauseous, which spikes with anxiety, so does feeling lightheaded, I was light headed for a phase, felt like i weighed nothing and was drifting everywhere.

So yeah, sounds normal, most sounds like extremely high anxiety that you are dealing with. Have you gone to the doctor? even a simple anxiety medication can help this panic, as well as good grounding and distraction to me is or was when I felt like you HUGE.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You aren't dying. You are dissociating. You are also in a state of anxiety and panic by the sound of it.

I am guessing 99% of us have had that tough, feel, out of body feeling that you talk about, that's a big part of 'dissociating' i.e. feeling out of your own body.

Nausea... well adrenaline makes you nauseous, which spikes with anxiety, so does feeling lightheaded, I was light headed for a phase, felt like i weighed nothing and was drifting everywhere.

So yeah, sounds normal, most sounds like extremely high anxiety that you are dealing with. Have you gone to the doctor? even a simple anxiety medication can help this panic, as well as good grounding and distraction to me is or was when I felt like you HUGE.
Agreed. I'd advice you to look into meditation, it's awesome to calm you down. Just search up a guided meditation on youtube :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi CK, I am on celexa 20 mg that I started 3 weeks ago and have klonopin 0.5 mg. I have been seeing a counselor and trying to keep myself distracted, but nothing seems to help! Did you ever have that weird feeling that whatever you touched wasn't you touching it even though you could feel it? That's my most disturbing symptom

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had every single symptom you described and more! I'm on my way to recovery as we speak actually. Just a few days ago I posted right in this category on every thought I was having I was so scared typing so fast people that commented even said I was hard to keep up with.

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY
EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING IS NORMAL
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE

I suggest you see a therapist, or deal with the stress in your life face to face. When something triggers your anxiety your brain is already stressed out so it distracts itself with bad thoughts, turns inward instead of concentrating on the real problem, so try to think of the problem, the one that's actually normal and not some scary thought about dying. Have a fight with your sibling or parent? Go apologize or discuss it. Sad about something? Go talk about it or try your best to fix it, but nothing can be perfect just know you tried your hardest. Feel tired and light headed? Recognize your body is just tired and this is a regular thing humans go through. Forget things throughout the day? Think back. When was the last time you were able to remember every second of your day, I bet you can't because again this is a normal thing we do.

I know my body is in autopilot right now as well as yours. When I look at my mom sitting on the other couch I recognize her but I don't at the same time, in typing on my phone and it's like watching a movie and it's a close up of the main character on their phone typing about something, my hands are numb and my face is burning, I have a whole tattoo sleeve on my left arm and I can't even recognize that it's mine right up to this minute of me telling you. But even though you can't recognize yourself, you're recognizing your symptoms! If you're doubting your existence, there has to be a person to doubt it, so you obviously exist if that makes any type of sense. It's good that you recognize how you are feeling and that it's not right. And my biggest thing with you is when you're explaining something you describe it as I, ME, MY. So you KNOW it's your arm, your body, your hands doing it and there's nothing to be afraid of, just know millions of people are going through the same thing.

I had the touch problem but it went away not it's only derealization I'm dealing with. I also have a hard time breathing, but worse I can't swallow half the time because I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I've learned to cope, and a lot of the stuff I'm learning is from this book I've been reading " From Panick To power" by Lucinda Bassett.
I'm probably going to start posting paragraphs of some of the stuff she says In it if you don't want to buy it so check on my content if you want!

You'll get better. We all will, we're all going through the same thing, just Think positive friend.

Reactions: dope

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had every single symptom you described and more! I'm on my way to recovery as we speak actually. Just a few days ago I posted right in this category on every thought I was having I was so scared typing so fast people that commented even said I was hard to keep up with.

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY
EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING IS NORMAL
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE

I suggest you see a therapist, or deal with the stress in your life face to face. When something triggers your anxiety your brain is already stressed out so it distracts itself with bad thoughts, turns inward instead of concentrating on the real problem, so try to think of the problem, the one that's actually normal and not some scary thought about dying. Have a fight with your sibling or parent? Go apologize or discuss it. Sad about something? Go talk about it or try your best to fix it, but nothing can be perfect just know you tried your hardest. Feel tired and light headed? Recognize your body is just tired and this is a regular thing humans go through. Forget things throughout the day? Think back. When was the last time you were able to remember every second of your day, I bet you can't because again this is a normal thing we do.

I know my body is in autopilot right now as well as yours. When I look at my mom sitting on the other couch I recognize her but I don't at the same time, in typing on my phone and it's like watching a movie and it's a close up of the main character on their phone typing about something, my hands are numb and my face is burning, I have a whole tattoo sleeve on my left arm and I can't even recognize that it's mine right up to this minute of me telling you. But even though you can't recognize yourself, you're recognizing your symptoms! If you're doubting your existence, there has to be a person to doubt it, so you obviously exist if that makes any type of sense. It's good that you recognize how you are feeling and that it's not right. And my biggest thing with you is when you're explaining something you describe it as I, ME, MY. So you KNOW it's your arm, your body, your hands doing it and there's nothing to be afraid of, just know millions of people are going through the same thing.

I had the touch problem but it went away not it's only derealization I'm dealing with. I also have a hard time breathing, but worse I can't swallow half the time because I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I've learned to cope, and a lot of the stuff I'm learning is from this book I've been reading " From Panick To power" by Lucinda Bassett.
I'm probably going to start posting paragraphs of some of the stuff she says In it if you don't want to buy it so check on my content if you want!

You'll get better. We all will, we're all going through the same thing, just Think positive friend.
Hi, so you also had the symptom of feeling like you're not actually the one touching things even though you can feel it? That's the most disturbing symptom for me because it makes me question if I'm actually here or if I'm just imagining everything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, so you also had the symptom of feeling like you're not actually the one touching things even though you can feel it? That's the most disturbing symptom for me because it makes me question if I'm actually here or if I'm just imagining everything.
Yes. I had it for two weeks before I could even feel anything, it's normal with dp/dr. I was outside in shorts and a tank top and my boyfriend was baffled because it was 45 degrees out, I couldn't even feel the cold in the air! But try running your hand under cold water or taking a hot shower, feel curves and edges of items and realizing everything is in 3D. I can tell you we wouldn't be here on this website if we were dead. As you're reading this right now even try to feel the tapping of your fingers typing or turn the fan on and keep it on you to feel the constant air. I thought I couldn't feel anything then I went into my tattoo appointment to finish my leg sleeve and I sure did feel that needle poking into my knee! Haha.
But it'll be ok, things will get better. It's only up from here, you're taking the steps to observe and ask about your thoughts for reassurance but still try to do normal everyday things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I had it for two weeks before I could even feel anything, it's normal with dp/dr. I was outside in shorts and a tank top and my boyfriend was baffled because it was 45 degrees out, I couldn't even feel the cold in the air! But try running your hand under cold water or taking a hot shower, feel curves and edges of items and realizing everything is in 3D. I can tell you we wouldn't be here on this website if we were dead. As you're reading this right now even try to feel the tapping of your fingers typing or turn the fan on and keep it on you to feel the constant air. I thought I couldn't feel anything then I went into my tattoo appointment to finish my leg sleeve and I sure did feel that needle poking into my knee! Haha.
But it'll be ok, things will get better. It's only up from here, you're taking the steps to observe and ask about your thoughts for reassurance but still try to do normal everyday things.
See, I'm not numb. I can feel things, but the feeling is different. Like I feel it, but my hand doesn't feel like mine. Like it's as if I shouldn't be able to feel things because my extremities don't seem like mine. I feel trapped in my own skin like this skin isn't mine so when I touch things with my hand or like when I'm in the shower, it freaks me out. It's like I'm just figuring out my existence, yet in a way it feels wrong because I don't feel like me. I feel like a completely different person. I hope this makes sense. DP is a really hard thing to explain ????

·
Registered
43 Posts
See, I'm not numb. I can feel things, but the feeling is different. Like I feel it, but my hand doesn't feel like mine. Like it's as if I shouldn't be able to feel things because my extremities don't seem like mine. I feel trapped in my own skin like this skin isn't mine so when I touch things with my hand or like when I'm in the shower, it freaks me out. It's like I'm just figuring out my existence, yet in a way it feels wrong because I don't feel like me. I feel like a completely different person. I hope this makes sense. DP is a really hard thing to explain ????
It's not hard to explain because this is one of the extremely common symptoms every single one of us is having! Trust me it's just th dp/dr and it will pass in the meantime try to do things to better is , therapist, books, games , painting, everything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts