Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've started getting intrusive thoughts along the lines of watching my dog's head get caved in by me accidently stepping on her, ripping off my own nails and falling down the stairs. They make me really uncomfortable.

Does anybody else experience this and is this related to dpdr in any way?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes... if I see a large body of water I envisage drowning, if I see a knife or pair of scissors I see someone falling over and stabbing themselves on them. I also get intrusive thoughts like if I'm talking to someone whose a sweet person my brain will just say "yeah whatever you dumb slut", and then I'll feel bad for thinking that. It's more an anxiety symptom and occurs frequently with dpdr as the two often go hand in hand. I read up on it a few years ago because I had pretty intense violent and sexual thoughts. basically what the anxious mind does is make you think about things you don't really want to think about. It's BECAUSE you're a moral and decent person that you're experiencing it, ironically. I've read people talking about it elsewhere and wondering if they're bad people but in fact the opposite is true, you are having these thoughts because the anxious mind knows it makes you uncomfortable, and they will lessen as your brain repairs itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts