Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having, what I now think to be, DR episodes for a few months. I’m new here but I’ve been reading around for a while and from what I can tell most people describe themselves as being numb to the world. That’s where my case seams to be a little bit different. You see, I experience all the visual symptoms (focus on periphery, like a pane of glass between me and the world, etc.) and occasionally the aural symptoms (voices sound different, etc.) but I don’t experience any of the more mental symptoms (existential a crisis, overthinking why were here, questioning reality, etc.). There are only a few things that I experience that aren’t visual or auditory: I get anxious, almost paralyzed with fear when it happens in a public place, and I sometimes question my relationship with the world around me (not emotionally, just the physical relationship bectween me and the space around me, like sometimes rooms feel to small, like I’m in a doll house). Does anyone else have these seemingly cherry picked symptoms like I do, any tips for over coming them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey! I only had a brief period of a month or so where I had mental symptoms like over thinking and an existential crisis. Otherwise my experience has been similar to yours, where I feel like there is glass between me and the world, things seem fake, I don't feel real, stuff like that. Because of those feelings I developed awful anxiety and depression. I've had this for a little over a year, and it has slowly gotten better.

The thing about dpdr is that there are so many symptoms, and nobody's experience is the same. And no doctor or psychologist seems to know what dpdr is haha. It's really the worst.

The only tips I have are to keep your mind occupied so you don't focus so much on dpdr, and relax! I like meditation, yoga, and exercise to relax. Find something that helps you calm down. I find that relaxation techniques help me feel less dpdr. I started having really bad anxiety to the point that I couldn't leave the house, so I started taking a low dose of Zoloft/sertraline. It hasn't cured the dpdr or anything, but it has helped my anxiety and depression, which in turn has lessened the dpdr, and most importantly got me back to living my life.

It's not easy but it will get better. Reach out for help on here or in real life if you need it. I hope that helped!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts