Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this graphic recently to explain some views of the world through a DPer's eyes. Tell me what you think.

Fig. 1.1 The "Normal" view of life is approximately an oval, with the middle of the vision a cone with sharper and more distinct sight. This is surrounded by vertical and horizontal peripheral vision.

Fig. 1.2 Blurry, or distorted vision may occur when experiencing DP- as if living in a dream.

Fig. 1.3 The very frequently occuring "tunnel" or "behind a window" vision, as if your sight is behind where it should be or you are viewing your life through a TV screen.

Fig. 1.4(a) This is my description of the defense mechanism DP provides: a filter for the world that creates protection for the person; it allows the full effect of problems to be felt so the person is not overwhelmed.

Fig. 1.4(b) This is the figurative, not literal view with DP's protective filter-- it provides a shallow view of the world around you.

My view is the "behind the window" one- the protective shield kinda one. I also figured out recently how scary this DP is-- I thought of my life as a kind of movie that starts out with a 'present' view, lapses to the past for the majority of the time, and ends with the character reminiscing at the end. Maybe I'm just looking back on my life as it happened twenty years ago. Sorry about that thought.

-Grant with an "R"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I made this graphic recently to explain some views of the world through a DPer's eyes. Tell me what you think.

Fig. 1.1 The "Normal" view of life is approximately an oval, with the middle of the vision a cone with sharper and more distinct sight. This is surrounded by vertical and horizontal peripheral vision.

Fig. 1.2 Blurry, or distorted vision may occur when experiencing DP- as if living in a dream.

Fig. 1.3 The very frequently occuring "tunnel" or "behind a window" vision, as if your sight is behind where it should be or you are viewing your life through a TV screen.

Fig. 1.4(a) This is my description of the defense mechanism DP provides: a filter for the world that creates protection for the person; it allows the full effect of problems to be felt so the person is not overwhelmed.

Fig. 1.4(b) This is the figurative, not literal view with DP's protective filter-- it provides a shallow view of the world around you.

My view is the "behind the window" one- the protective shield kinda one. I also figured out recently how scary this DP is-- I thought of my life as a kind of movie that starts out with a 'present' view, lapses to the past for the majority of the time, and ends with the character reminiscing at the end. Maybe I'm just looking back on my life as it happened twenty years ago. Sorry about that thought.

-Grant with an "R"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts