Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this is? I dont know if its another form of panic attack or if its even dp/dr but ive gotten it a couple times. The most recent one, i was in the shower and i was thinking about the next day and was finally able to let myself wonder away from thinking about my dp and dr and then suddenly i was back and realized i was in the shower and back in the present. It scared me and i suddenly felt overwhelmed that i was gonna get worse. I looked at the ground and it was like everything froze? And feeling far away or flat. I could only stare at my feet and it was like this overwhelming fear of dread that this was it that my dp and dr was gonna kill me or i was going to loss myself in a void and never return and then i just shook my head and tried to come off it which helped but i couldnt sleep that night and that feeling made everything worse for a few days. It felt so unimaginable like i would slip into a void of existence that i could never escape from or that i was being sucked out of our world/reality or that i was just gonna stop existing right then and there. Ive gotten it before and everytime, i feel like its so unreal, im not even sure if others have experianced it to that depth??

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi yes ive had that many times now its really super uncomfortable and it really does feel like your gonna slip out of this world its crazy intense .
I think it's just a increase in dp Dr i dont think it's a panic attack but I could be wrong .
Sometimes when I've had that feeling I also feel I'm leaving my body its full on scary

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. That makes me feel a little better. My biggest fear is dying and i keep feeling like thats what dying feels like or something cause i have had it where i had out of body experiances but that was induced by marijuana so now i avoid that like the plague. I think i just have cronic mild dr/dp that gets worse from time to time outta nowhere. For some reason, it gets worse when looking at scenery when riding in a car? Like mountains and stuff? And sunlight makes me feel overwhelmed but i try to get out for my vitimin d anyway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im just hoping it gets easier to deal with. I wanna be able to step outside my house without getting overwhelmed by something as simple as the sunlight, espessially in summertime. I cant even drive a car right now, ive only been riding in the car recently. Seeing scenery like mountains (cause i live in Colorado) seems unreal, surreal and occasionally, very foreign? As if ive never seen them before? It freaks me out beyond belief. I also get the feeling of things being foreign quite often, even simple things and objects that i see everyday. Is that normal with DP/DR?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel that all the time, every time I see or do something its like its happening for the first time. Also I've noticed that bright lights make me feel a lot worse like sunlight and phones/computers/tv screens, and even just white walls

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly that makes me feel lots better. I hate that feeling so much. Its like all of a sudden, i feel ive never seen or experianced something before even tho i have for a majority of my life and suddenly nothing makes sense. Its crazy when you dont recognize anything around you.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would recommend seeing a neurologist and having an ElectroEncephaloGram (EEG). I had absence spells, deja-vu spells, and what I assumed were panic attacks

for most of my adult life. Then I learned to recognize those "spells" as epileptic events. EEGs confirmed my self diagnosis. My brain waves indicated a history of

temporal lobe seizures. It brought my life into perspective.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would recommend seeing a neurologist and having an ElectroEncephaloGram (EEG). I had absence spells, deja-vu spells, and what I assumed were panic attacks
for most of my adult life. Then I learned to recognize those "spells" as epileptic events. EEGs confirmed my self diagnosis. My brain waves indicated a history of
temporal lobe seizures. It brought my life into perspective.
Huh...wierd. i will probably get one of those done. But i thought seizures were episodes where your body just starts tensing up and violently shakes involuntarily?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When any of you experiance the feeling i described in the first post, does it like effect your vision and make things seem dimmer while at the same time being intense on your eyes and almost far away or flat like? Whenever ive slipped into it, all i feel is that feeling and terror and nothing else but even the terror feels like im not even feeling the fear? And usually when i get that, my first instinct is to instantly stop what im doing and find my mother (shes very supportive of my condition and helps as best she can) it feels like im sucked out of our reality and it super hard to describe. Im almost convinced its something only i experiance but im probably wrong. Its just an incredibly complex sensation thats different than anything ive ever experianced in life. Its the most powerful sensation ive ever had. Its like reality as we know it is just a single one that we are all familiar with and theres something else we only experiance when depersonalized?? Its crazy and most people dont know what im talking about.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also when i have that feeling and it gets more intense (only from weed which i dont use anymore because of this) it can become an out of body experiance and its super powerful intense and terrifying. For a long time i almost denied the experiances ever happened to me because i couldnt believe thats what an out of body experiance felt like...i think it accually gave me ptsd and im super afraid ill have more out of body experiances even without the use of marijuana.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure i've felt that entire sensation but I can definitely relate to the dim-ness and intensity of vision. For me it almost feels bright and dark at the same time. Everything around me also feels pretty distant and far away.

edit- this was responding to the first page, I only just saw the second part

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok i think i accually understand whats going on. This is gonna get super philosophical and existential so if thats a trigger for you, go ahead and ignore this.

I could be just thinking myself crazy, idk. When it happens though, its like my whole mind/brain is put away and im just left with my consciousness alone, with no connection or very little connection to my brain. That "frozen" feeling is basically: No thoughts, no feelings, its completely blank. I dont recognize anything. I dont remember anything. I even dont recognize family members or the most familiar things plus my visual perception is that far away/ flatness. All im left with is just my consciousness and it feels like im not accually a human being anymore, as if my consciousness is everything im precieving instead of myself. I think thats why trying to practice mindfulness makes this worse or doesnt work. Its already TOO MUCH mindfulness and self awareness. I think it frightens me because i wonder if thats what death is? That your accual brain disapears and your just left with your unfeeling consciousness that is eternal. Either that, or consciousness simply doesnt exist without the brain. Either way i think about it, its absolutely terrifying. It makes me start to believe reincarnation more and more. Either that or we are all part of this collective consciousness, maybe thats what heaven is but instead of fear, its love. I hope this doesnt freak anyone else out, its just what im thinking and it highly disturbs me so i need to get it out by typing it out. Just cause death is so mysterious, this makes it more believable to me and i hate it. Though, the more i experiance this, i realize, if my brains just put away for the few seconds at a time that i feel that, whats going on in my brain while im away? It just stops thinking? Idk, that might contradict everything i just said. (Im very tired and not thinking clearly right now)

I feel like this is just the pit of this whole disorder. Its literally just a fuckin debilitating void.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts