Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Browsing through the website and seeing many posts from people who have been struggling for 15 or 20 years and feeling as if they never improved is scary! You read about people who never medicated for 15 years and never improved and then you read stories of people who have been medicating for 20 years and they still struggle with the same issues! While you are in the first year struggling with this and there are people who are in their 20 or 30 years struggling with this disorder, you feel SO scared and discouraged! Words of encouragement?

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I think that people should know the reality about their disorder and unfortunately for many people with DP-disorder there is no way out. There are some people who recovered, but after multiple years this is unlikely to happen.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
That's true, but before this I will make my best to try as much treatments for my "depression" as possible.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
On a less depressing note, nobody can say for certain that you'll be stuck like this forever. If you keep doing all the right things, there's always hope.
The fact that DP is underresearched leaves the possibility that there are some treatments that work for some people, but they are unknown to the psychiatrists. This is unlike for example tinnitus where there is quite much research and many treatments have been tried without succes.

Yes indeed. TDX and I are already planning to kill ourselves if we exhaust our options. Welcome to the club, my friend.
I suppose it will take some years until this point is reached. I even wasn't able to try Lamotrigine yet and next year (or 2017) we'll get ALKS-5461.

The year 2015 was shit for DP'ers so far. Only 11 publications on Pubmed and none of them was really interesting. Concerning research activity I can't see a positive trend yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! redacted: You are saying: "[background=#f7f7f7]You've either got hope or you've got nothing. Your choice."[/background]
[background=#f7f7f7]How could this be my choice? Do I choose to recover or not? Also, what are the [/background][background=#f7f7f7]TMS and KOR antagonists medications? I tried to google them but could not find names specifically![/background]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
hopefuluk2...everybody is different...some recover quickly some very slowly and some learn to live with it long term...Dont be disheartened by long term sufferers...Who knows whats around the corner....Medical science is amazing and always evolving....They might just come up with a cure soon....

·
Administrator
5,297 Posts
Jk, I can't believe some of the negative posts in this thread.

I've seen more people than not improve or get better.

Just a few of us lucky ol' timers who experience things long term.

Hold onto hope.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
The naloxone study suggests to me that we might have found the prime mover in the biochemistry of DP. If I'm right, ALKS-5461 will be the silver bullet.
It will at least help substantial number of patients and be a major adavancement in the treatment of DP-disorder.

TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) is a non-invasive procedure rather than a medication. Early evidence suggests that it could be effective for >50% of people and very effective for some.
When will your sessions start?

·
Registered
188 Posts
awful thread, just terrible.

1 in like 1000 have DP for life.

I have OCD -- I had it long before DP. I'll have OCD for life, it's chronic.

DP is not commonly chronic, it's a symptom to a pre-existing condition that has gotten highly, highly exacerbated.

Quit freaking out noobs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 in 1000 get DR/DP for life? Holly crap how unlucky i am... i have it for 19 years now, started when i was 10 years old.

I discovered that it was a real disorder with a name and other people that like me 3 years ago, that was a relief.

First years are really hard, Its hard no to feel things the same way, but acceptance makes you forget about it, and, even feeling it, you don't get terrified by it, and so, you can have a life.

I have wife, kids, job, i work out, play guitar, drink with my friends, and i'm in general very happy. When i'm not well, usually is because day by day stuff who everyone gets annoyed about once in while: a problem at the job, a problem at home, the price of the gas, shit like that.

This is the first time i'm putting real effort and researching on hot to get better. If i get better i still have at least 40 years to live feeling real, so, the effort tottally is worth it.

If anywone knows something that can help, i'm all ears.

·
Registered
410 Posts
naloxone has just been changed to an over the counter med in California. They changed legislation and you no longer need a prescription to buy it at the pharmacy.

I'd try it but I live in Canada.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
naloxone has just been changed to an over the counter med in California. They changed legislation and you no longer need a prescription to buy it at the pharmacy.
Do you mean Naloxone or Naltrexone? The problem with Naloxone would be that you need an infusion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 in like 1000 have DP for life.

DP is not commonly chronic, it's a symptom to a pre-existing condition that has gotten highly, highly exacerbated.
According to a previous study that King Eliott shared on a forum, DP could be chronic for many people and so many stories in this website prove that. Here is a link to the study: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/5/428

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I suppose that it might be difficult for an ordinary person to use it, even if you live in the US and you're able to get it. It would have been better if they also released Naltrexone or Nalmefene, but I don't think they will do it.

But who cares when we finally have ALKS-5461, which we will get without problems, because it's an antidepressant...? They should have released Naloxone 15 years ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts