Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently posted a thread in recovery stories of how I got out of this habit (DP/DR). If you want to know how, have a look for my post 'It's Gone'.

Anyway, I've recently come across some further information to share regarding DP/DR). The guy is an ex-anxiety sufferer.

Enjoy the read and take it to heart because it really is true:

How to approach depersonalisation/derealisation/unreality:

You need the truth, that's all. You need to be given the truth, and you need to realise that this is true for you, because it is.

No exceptions.

When I use the word realise I use it in its pure form "to make real for you"

Yet again, the truth gives you the attitude shift you need; with the truth there is no need to cultivate a new foreign attitude that goes against your core beliefs, the truth is the truth, the truth changes beliefs and an attitude shift becomes natural.

There is a lovely phrase by a possible-nutter (mine is not to judge) called David Icke: "the truth will set you free", I love this phrase.

I'm rambling sorry.

So what is it? ... You are mentally tired, that's it, nothing more.

Don't take my word for it, what do the experts say.

Dr Claire Weekes refers to feelings of unreality ... "Try to see it for what it is, no more than a tired mind in a tired body"

Dr Ronnie Freedman describes it thus "Depersonalization is the product of a tired mind, nothing more, nothing less. Depersonalization is created by a fatigued mind, not from lack of sleep but by constant, fearful thinking."

So that's it, that's all ... You are mentally tired, that's it, nothing more.

Now is that so bad?

You may say "no, it's not", and you would be right

Yes you may say "yes it is", if you say yes then this is what I would do

I would look at other scenarios where it can arise in EVERYONE.

Imagine for just one moment somebody has just flown across the world and they are attending a business meeting, they got no sleep, they are jetlagged and knackered (very tired ... I'm not sure whether 'knackered' is a known term in North America, I'm from Europe). During that meeting the person described will be experiencing DP/DR/Unreality. NO DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY TO WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING. After this meeting the person goes back to the hotel has a few beers and gets on with his life etc. You are no more ill than this person.

Is this business traveller ill?

No, neither are you.

Does this business traveller have a mental condition?

No, neither do you.

Is there anything wrong with the business traveller?

No, there is also nothing wrong with you.

Take another example, a doctor or nurse has just finished a 36 hour shift, the doctor and nurse will be experiencing depersonalisation/derealisation/unreality ... no different in any way to what you are experiencing. Is the doctor or nurse ill?

No, of course not, and neither are you.

All throughout history many people throughout their lives have had times when they have stayed awake for a few days because of mental preoccupation. Every single one of them would have experienced depersonalisation/derealisation/unreality.

There is nothing wrong with you. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal

·
Registered
374 Posts
But I know this,I already know this.. but even when I didn’t know that I was suffering from dp/dr. It was still there in good times and bad. How can we give our tired minds the rest they need then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By doing nothing and allowing adequate time and time again for your mind to refresh itself and for the clarity to return. It takes patience , but I can assure you it’s worth it. Next time you feel it, know it’s nothing serious. I promise you... it feels like there’s something seriously wrong but there isnt. Simply just a tired, worn out mind through all the stress and worry and inward thinking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about long term DPDR? How can the body and mind be in a state of fatigue and stress for years without relief? The problem with DPDR for many is thst it’s recurring. The body and mind heals, there is a sense of relief, but then it returns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long term DR/DP is caused by constantly focusing on the uncomfortable feelings and sensations. It’s a fatigued mind. Find the cause , focus on the solution. If it’s obsessing over it, then it’s your thinking that’s the problem. Unhelpful thinking habits that are deep rooted. Not unsolvable though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aridity, this site is bad. I’m not even clicking that link.. follow the advice presented to you... and look at meaningful recovery stories *only*. By meaningful I mean ones like mine. No special technique, pill , or effort. Doing nothing other than accepting what it is... is the way out. Take heart in my advice ... if you want a good recovery story, search for optimist on this site. Fantastic. I’m leaving this site now as I’m moving on with my life and leaving this chapter behind. Read Optimists story, then do the same. Life’s out there waiting for you. Take the DP/DR with you for now and never look back , once you make that decision it will go on it’s own when it’s ready. Good luck, I believe in you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts