Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Valium

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Cedric 
#1 ·
Is it bad if i pop a 5mg valium everyday when i wake up? Ive been doing this for the longest and should really ask yall to shed some light on this for me.

#3 ·
5mg Valium is a relatively low dose. For comparison, 2mg Xanax is equivalent to 40mg of Valium I believe. Benzo withdrawal however is known to actually cause DP and DR so this isn’t a great option in the long run. I know how sometimes you just want relief from the suffering I’ve popped my fair share of benzos while having DP. But I’ve never been hardcore addicted to them however I have gone through moderate withdrawal back in 2016-17. How long have you been taking the valium?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sad to hear that, Where! Have you found anything that gives you any relief today? My DP symptoms are exacerbated by Ambien withdrawl. There was a period years back when I took like a fistful of them each night for sleep, and then stopped cold turkey. It took a long time to get back to normal, but back to normal it went.

I don't know what's caused my DP, perhaps a perfect storm of being predisposed and circumstances and stress and cannabis use.

#5 ·
How has it been affecting your dpdr symptoms?
Idk how its really affecting my symptoms all i know is right now i feel terrible, but you know the struggle, some days are good, some days are bad.

#6 ·
5mg Valium is a relatively low dose. For comparison, 2mg Xanax is equivalent to 40mg of Valium I believe. Benzo withdrawal however is known to actually cause DP and DR so this isn't a great option in the long run. I know how sometimes you just want relief from the suffering I've popped my fair share of benzos while having DP. But I've never been hardcore addicted to them however I have gone through moderate withdrawal back in 2016-17. How long have you been taking the valium?
I've been taking the valium since the beginning of my suffering with this condition, so back in March 2016. When i first got put onto it i was taking it 3x a day, now i only take it once a day. I have to admit tho, i tried going a couple days without taking it at all, but all it did was make me feel even more unreal and i couldn't stand that. Needless to say its still really bad right now.

#7 ·
My persistent DP, which has lasted for many years, was triggered during a benzo withdrawal caused by a doctor refusing to see me after my insurance changed. I probably could have sued him, but it's outside the statute of limitations. My GP called me drug-seeking. An ER doc called me drug-seeking. By the time I saw a psychiatrist, he said it was too late.
If i were you i would without a doubt hold a grudge against that doctor for as long as i live because this condition is straight up fucked up and shouldn't exist in the first place.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
When you first got put onto it, I suppose it helped with the symptoms since you stayed on it.

If you feel it does more harm then good, then I'd say it's due time to quit. Luckily you're on a relatively low dose, as OnMyOwn pointed out. I guess you've got weeks and maybe months ahead of you with some kind of withdrawal. For me it was intense for about a week, and then a couple of months later it was pretty much back to normal, not completely but pretty much. You can talk it over with your doctor. Like Mayor-Gross has suggested, Lamictal and an antidepressant might be better than a benzo. So months from now, perhaps you're on something that helps you more. I wish you the best!

#9 ·
But it's a defense mechanism. =)
Teal, I feel that I've recovered somewhat. I can't tell how far I'll get in recovery until I start making some real money, which may sound like putting the cart before the horse, because it is.
A defense mechanism huh, lol my ass. It feels like this condition is killing me slowly but surely. You cant exactly feel happy or sad with this thing, in fact you cant even feel anything but fear that wont leave no matter how hard you try to relax.

#10 ·
I added more to my post above.
Yolo, when people are inclined to call everything a defense mechanism, that is really a defense mechanism for them not knowing what they're talking about.
Anxiety or emotional trauma may be at the heart of DP for most people, but I just don't know. There's certainly a correlation. I hope everyone finds their way no matter what.
Yeah bro i know its a defense mechanism, hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way.

#11 ·
I used 3 x 5mg valium for a year to get my anxiety under control. My anxiety was rediculous. I ordered my own valium off internets from china. Last year i tapered down to 2 x 5mg, then 1 daily. Then off completely. I used my physical feelings of anxiety as a guage. It helped eliminate the physical anxiety. But I am left with thoughts and feelings that it did not touch. First time I used it, it immediately took the edge off and i got my appetite back. Doctors wouldn't prescribe it for me because they seem to think addiction is the primary worry, even when my anxiety made me suicidal, which was rediculous. You're guna have to come off steady at some point. But if you aint ready you aint ready

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.