Depersonalization Support Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey StacyCecilia,

I'm not sure if you if you still frequent here but I wanted you to know that your post is still reaching people. I happened upon it this morning when I woke up and could't get back to sleep.

Thank you for taking the time to write up that post. I ended up lulling out to andrew johnson :)

Hope all is still well with you,

JasonWithDP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey StacyCecilia,

I'm not sure if you if you still frequent here but I wanted you to know that your post is still reaching people. I happened upon it this morning when I woke up and could't get back to sleep.

Thank you for taking the time to write up that post. I ended up lulling out to andrew johnson :)

Hope all is still well with you,

JasonWithDP
Jason,

While I kept up to date with responses to the many emails I received after this post, I was a jerk and sort of wandered off for the past year or so. I just remembered all of you and logged in for old time's sake. Reading your comment nearly brought a tear to my eye...to know that I have the ability to help someone, even in a moment, even if it is not lasting. I hope you are doing well. It has now been four years DP/DR free with no returns whatsoever. If you ever need anything do not hesitate to ask. Good luck on your journey, you have the strength and the courage to power through

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is most helpful thing I've ever read about it. You spoke to me, dude. Out of everything I've fucking obsessed over, your post like is that last little push I need to keep it up with my determination. My brain fog is extremely heavy and, knowing that I can beat it in a year or two or three or however long it takes makes me fucking extremely happy. I've been running and eating right and, I too realized that those who've had it for 50000 years lacked positivity in their lives. I will keep in intact, and you've gotta know that you've played a big role in helping me keep it that way. I wanna hug you or something, like I feel awesome. Thank you.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I'll be back when I recover. <3

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes yes YES!!!!! I cannot agree with you more! PREACH (okay I'm done now)

I had DP for about 6 months, starting all the way back in March of 2014. For me, it was constant thinking about how weird it was being alive, what happens when you die, blah blah blah.. and it resulted in a constant anxiety-filled, 'spaced-out' open feeling, like I was going to step off a ledge of a steep cliff any second. I was scared shitless and constantly worried.. and I couldn't explain it to anyone because these thoughts and feelings were so HARD to describe!! And even if I did describe them, you have to LIVE through them in order to understand how bad they are. Nevertheless I found this site and posted about my symptoms all the time, and I found a lot of people who had the same thoughts and feelings that I did. And that was really comforting.

But this wasn't totally constant. If I went to a party or if I hung out with my friends or if I was at school, I would be "distracted" and focused on something else, to the point where I would actually realize that I was feeling "normal" .... and then instantly plunge back into a DP filled world again. But these short glimmers, these short reminders that this DP was all in my head and was totally fixable, were enough to keep me afloat.

I had days, even weeks where I was basically DP free, but I always fell back into the hole. Then, about three months ago, after getting distracted by school constantly and feeling good because I was slowly building up extended periods of "normalcy", I entered a new chapter of my life.

Since early November, I have been virtually DP free. I have had a bad day or a bad weekend here and there, and earlier today I had an episode, but other than that, I am doing really well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you so much! Very encouraging. I screenshot a lot of what you said and am probably going to set it as my wallpaper.

One thing though, one thing that keeps coming back to me. Everyone says to distract yourself, live your life, stay entertained, live as normal as you can. I HAVE been doing that, but my mind is constantly thinking of my symptoms, my hopelessness, my envy towards all the "normal" people around me, violent thoughts, negative depressing obsessive thoughts. So even when I'm out attempting to "live my life" I'm still thinking of these things in the background of my head and it seems close to impossible to stop.
Do you have any tips/tricks on REALLY occupying your mind on something else? Because my main thing is I just can't think period. I can't imagine things, the only thing my mind can process is how awful I'm feeling.
When I start thinking these ways (which is literally every second of everyday) what should I do/tell to myself?
I do not see how I could possibly get better. This is the only think on my mind ever. I literally can't think or focus or listen or feel. It's just my way of living and it doesn't seem reversible.
Thanks a lot. Sydney.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank you so much! Very encouraging. I screenshot a lot of what you said and am probably going to set it as my wallpaper.

One thing though, one thing that keeps coming back to me. Everyone says to distract yourself, live your life, stay entertained, live as normal as you can. I HAVE been doing that, but my mind is constantly thinking of my symptoms, my hopelessness, my envy towards all the "normal" people around me, violent thoughts, negative depressing obsessive thoughts. So even when I'm out attempting to "live my life" I'm still thinking of these things in the background of my head and it seems close to impossible to stop.
Do you have any tips/tricks on REALLY occupying your mind on something else? Because my main thing is I just can't think period. I can't imagine things, the only thing my mind can process is how awful I'm feeling.
When I start thinking these ways (which is literally every second of everyday) what should I do/tell to myself?
I do not see how I could possibly get better. This is the only think on my mind ever. I literally can't think or focus or listen or feel. It's just my way of living and it doesn't seem reversible.
Thanks a lot. Sydney.
Your efforts aren't going to waste, sydney. Your mind will recover when it wants, and its so so so very hard to be patient when this is going on. Minutes seem like hours and hours seem like days with dp/dr. Im going through/have gone through the same thing. Just try to enjoy something, such as music or movies or anything for that matter. Don't force it, because that is when you begin thinking. If you would like to message me you can. Ill try to help as much as possible. how long have you been enduring this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is one of the few things that keeps me going. I read it almost every day, each word of it. I can relate to your story so much and it is giving me a world of hope. You are awesome. I am wishing you an armful of pug puppies in a boat filled with the people you love while you are sailing into the sunset.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Stacy fucking awesome that you are cured. Are you still DP free ? Did you used to go to therapy? How long did your DP last in total? What about eyeflpaters? Did or do you have them? They are fucking driving me insane with this fucking dp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, great read. I was wondering if there was any way to contact you, you probably won't be checking this site since you're no longer suffering. My situation is extremely similar to yours and I would just like to ask some questions. my email is [email protected] if you get a chance. any words are appreciated, I feel like my world is crashing down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this post StacyCecilia.

Much of what you say resonates strongly with me - I have moments where my mind and myself, uncoupled for so long, seem to slot back into place and thinking becomes effortless again.

My worry, and what's making things so difficult for me this time round, is that I have been completely recovered, only to come crashing down again. This, despite the fact that I thought my recovery basically rendered me immune to subsequent relapse. My problems started abruptly when I was 17 and, largely thanks to the distraction of university, I gradually came out of it (via some pretty horrible experiences along the way) only to realise that, around 6 months after my 20th birthday, I was symptomless. When I felt a twinge of old symptoms, I went to a shrink who gave me a Claire Weekes book 'self help for your nerves' - that's where I learned to employ many of the techniques you describe here. She uses the terminology of 'floating past' to characterise it, but it's basically the same - letting the symptoms which you'd normally fixate on and which would normally cause you to spiral just float past you, until they gradually dissipate over time. This allowed me to restore my good health and, like I said, made me feel invulnerable - I knew I'd have recurrences of symptoms, but I knew I could just float past them.

Problem is, around mid-2014, I did have recurrent symptoms and when I tried to float past them, they nonetheless gradually got worse. I went on Sertraline and was stable (though by no means 100%) until about 1.5 years ago. Recently I've hit lows that I haven't known since the early days of my problem.

If you have any thoughts on how to deal with relapse, especially when techniques seem to fail you, I'd be really grateful to hear them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be honest. Before the DP/DR really went away for good, I was feeling better and thinking clearer, but the way the world looked and felt to me was the last thing to go away. It's so hard to explain how the world looks, I can't even put it into words myself. But at some point, it very slowly got back to normal. Every once in a while I will have a flash of DP/DR, when I have bad anxiety or I am really stressed and feel panicky, the first (and sometimes only) part of the DP/DR that returns is the way the world looks and feels around me. But trust me, be patient, with time it will go away and you will be so happy that you took the time and energy to see this thing through! Best of luck to you and I'm here for support and encouragement whenever you're feeling lost
Im in that point right now, Since I started working at 4am the world started to look fake and lifeless but a lot of symptoms went away like bad memory bad vision fog vision. The only thing right now that is bother me is that the world or my surrounding looks very fake and in some sense like muted and colerless too. what do you do to stop that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be honest. Before the DP/DR really went away for good, I was feeling better and thinking clearer, but the way the world looked and felt to me was the last thing to go away. It's so hard to explain how the world looks, I can't even put it into words myself. But at some point, it very slowly got back to normal. Every once in a while I will have a flash of DP/DR, when I have bad anxiety or I am really stressed and feel panicky, the first (and sometimes only) part of the DP/DR that returns is the way the world looks and feels around me. But trust me, be patient, with time it will go away and you will be so happy that you took the time and energy to see this thing through! Best of luck to you and I'm here for support and encouragement whenever you're feeling lost
Im in that situation rn the world just looks weird went away it just that right now. Im in the right path to recovery?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts