Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Im not sure I told many people here, but i left for university a good 5 and a half hours from my hometown, 6 days ago.. and the first week went somewaht well.. ive felt a bunch of confusion and stuff.. but i havent been bad.. Today I have honestly been so out of it I feel like i dont even know whats going on.. Ive had trouble even remembering what ive done today, and my ability to think is absolutely messed up... I really feel like this isnt even happening.. everything is so jumbled in my head.

I cant make sense of anything.. i feel like im on some HEAVY drug, even tho i havent taken anything.. im just really freaked out.. i feel like i have no idea whats going on around me.. and I have no one here i know.. ive met tons of people, but i dont feel like i really know them...

im scared and i need comforting.. :(

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone,

Im not sure I told many people here, but i left for university a good 5 and a half hours from my hometown, 6 days ago.. and the first week went somewaht well.. ive felt a bunch of confusion and stuff.. but i havent been bad.. Today I have honestly been so out of it I feel like i dont even know whats going on.. Ive had trouble even remembering what ive done today, and my ability to think is absolutely messed up... I really feel like this isnt even happening.. everything is so jumbled in my head.

I cant make sense of anything.. i feel like im on some HEAVY drug, even tho i havent taken anything.. im just really freaked out.. i feel like i have no idea whats going on around me.. and I have no one here i know.. ive met tons of people, but i dont feel like i really know them...

im scared and i need comforting.. :(

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey Matt,

I just want to say that what you are experiencing is being shared by a lot of new people at the university. I know it is made harder by the dp/dr. Anxiety always escalates the disorder. Please try to approach things one at a time, stay in the moment, do some good breathing, call home if you need to and keep trying to relax. This is an adjustment period that is hard on anybody. I hope that helps you not feel so alone or that it is just your disorder that is causing you this much stress.

I hope some others will join in and share with you how it is to go off and do something new like you are doing. There are many out there and if you read around the site you will see you are not alone.

Take good care,
terri

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hey Matt,

I just want to say that what you are experiencing is being shared by a lot of new people at the university. I know it is made harder by the dp/dr. Anxiety always escalates the disorder. Please try to approach things one at a time, stay in the moment, do some good breathing, call home if you need to and keep trying to relax. This is an adjustment period that is hard on anybody. I hope that helps you not feel so alone or that it is just your disorder that is causing you this much stress.

I hope some others will join in and share with you how it is to go off and do something new like you are doing. There are many out there and if you read around the site you will see you are not alone.

Take good care,
terri

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just wondering, do Canadians say "I'm going to University" instead of "I'm going to college?"

Everybody is scared their first week of college. Put your parents money to some good use, go get wasted, and meet some girls. Just kidding (or am I?). The thing is with the first week of college, everybody is looking for friends. There aren't any real cliques yet. So, if you just throw yourself in a social situation, there is a good chance you'll come out with a friend...often times more than a friend. It may be hard to rationalize that, but it's true. Hope I've been of help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just wondering, do Canadians say "I'm going to University" instead of "I'm going to college?"

Everybody is scared their first week of college. Put your parents money to some good use, go get wasted, and meet some girls. Just kidding (or am I?). The thing is with the first week of college, everybody is looking for friends. There aren't any real cliques yet. So, if you just throw yourself in a social situation, there is a good chance you'll come out with a friend...often times more than a friend. It may be hard to rationalize that, but it's true. Hope I've been of help.

·
Registered
783 Posts
yes, canadians usually say "I'm going to university"...but if we are going to a college then we say "I'm going to college". :) We do differentiate between the 2.

Matt, I know exactly what that feels like (like being very out of it and feeling drugged). It is VERY scary. Just remember when you are feeling this way that there are others out there who are going through the same feelings/symptoms and that nothing else is going to happen to you (ie. you will not die from this and that others do not see that you are 'different'). MSN me if you like. We can talk more about it.

Hugs,
uni-girl

·
Registered
783 Posts
yes, canadians usually say "I'm going to university"...but if we are going to a college then we say "I'm going to college". :) We do differentiate between the 2.

Matt, I know exactly what that feels like (like being very out of it and feeling drugged). It is VERY scary. Just remember when you are feeling this way that there are others out there who are going through the same feelings/symptoms and that nothing else is going to happen to you (ie. you will not die from this and that others do not see that you are 'different'). MSN me if you like. We can talk more about it.

Hugs,
uni-girl

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Matt,

I totally relate to your pain. I'm currently three quarters through Community College, and am taking this quarter off. I never attended a University. Today, I experience fairly good health, much better than I have in a long time. And yet, doing what you're doing, living in a dorm with full classes and all that surrounding social activity, it even seems too daunting for me to take on. My point I guess, is that you have every right to feel totally overwhelmed; even if you were healthier than you are, you would feel like this is a tough load you're putting on... Terri's advice to take things one step/moment at a time is really the best advice you can get at this point. I'd say just concentrate on your classes, get to them, manage. Start screwing up that and the rest will likely crumble... But, studying, even while DP'd and all that jazz, should give your mind an escape and let you concentrate on doing something productive and, even if you feel crappy emotionally/mentally, it will give you a feeling of pride for accomplishing something.

I don't know what exactly is boggling down your mind the most, but I'm assuming it's just the new, hectic environment, where there are demands, academically and socially. It's all quite a bit for a fragile mind to take. But I think you will transition into it, maybe slow, maybe fast...

Just, deal with it moment by moment. I feel for ya, and admire you. I, for one, love being able to hide out in my apartment, and have found much solace in the freedom of not doing anything inparticular and being totally content with that. If I were in a building with hundreds of other social people, I would have too much conflict over it all, and the resulting confusion maybe similar to yours.

Anyway, good luck; keep us updated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Matt,

I totally relate to your pain. I'm currently three quarters through Community College, and am taking this quarter off. I never attended a University. Today, I experience fairly good health, much better than I have in a long time. And yet, doing what you're doing, living in a dorm with full classes and all that surrounding social activity, it even seems too daunting for me to take on. My point I guess, is that you have every right to feel totally overwhelmed; even if you were healthier than you are, you would feel like this is a tough load you're putting on... Terri's advice to take things one step/moment at a time is really the best advice you can get at this point. I'd say just concentrate on your classes, get to them, manage. Start screwing up that and the rest will likely crumble... But, studying, even while DP'd and all that jazz, should give your mind an escape and let you concentrate on doing something productive and, even if you feel crappy emotionally/mentally, it will give you a feeling of pride for accomplishing something.

I don't know what exactly is boggling down your mind the most, but I'm assuming it's just the new, hectic environment, where there are demands, academically and socially. It's all quite a bit for a fragile mind to take. But I think you will transition into it, maybe slow, maybe fast...

Just, deal with it moment by moment. I feel for ya, and admire you. I, for one, love being able to hide out in my apartment, and have found much solace in the freedom of not doing anything inparticular and being totally content with that. If I were in a building with hundreds of other social people, I would have too much conflict over it all, and the resulting confusion maybe similar to yours.

Anyway, good luck; keep us updated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Boring in what sense?

If you're bored academically at CC you'd be bored at a University. If you're bored learning things -- especially if you're taking classes that don't interest you -- then you're going to be bored at school. Trust me, CC's have more than enough quality teachers (at least the ones around here) and a broad range of different subjects. I loved, loved taking Philosophy classes at CC. Even the Public Speaking classes, which sparked great anxiety, were much fun. I think CC is totally comfortable. Then again, I went to a very liberal, very clean school.

It's all what you make of it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Boring in what sense?

If you're bored academically at CC you'd be bored at a University. If you're bored learning things -- especially if you're taking classes that don't interest you -- then you're going to be bored at school. Trust me, CC's have more than enough quality teachers (at least the ones around here) and a broad range of different subjects. I loved, loved taking Philosophy classes at CC. Even the Public Speaking classes, which sparked great anxiety, were much fun. I think CC is totally comfortable. Then again, I went to a very liberal, very clean school.

It's all what you make of it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree, the actual class part of CC is the same as classes at a university. It's just the social part is different because you're away from home. As far as going to college being scary, it is very scary, but try to stay there and it will get better. I went a semester and was ok (sort of) but when my panic attacks and dp started I went back the next semester and stayed all of about 2 days. But panic and anxiety and dp were all brand new to me so I didn't know what was happening inside my body. Did you say you live in a dorm? That could make it easier to meet people. Or you could join a club. People are a lot cooler and accepting in college than in high school. I knew tons of people that had anxiety problems, some with panic attacks, depression, all that. College can help in some instances. Like when I get panicky, I try to do homework or read a chapter or study, it's amazing how it can take your mind off of the anxiety. Take care and I'm sure things will get better when you meet some people. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree, the actual class part of CC is the same as classes at a university. It's just the social part is different because you're away from home. As far as going to college being scary, it is very scary, but try to stay there and it will get better. I went a semester and was ok (sort of) but when my panic attacks and dp started I went back the next semester and stayed all of about 2 days. But panic and anxiety and dp were all brand new to me so I didn't know what was happening inside my body. Did you say you live in a dorm? That could make it easier to meet people. Or you could join a club. People are a lot cooler and accepting in college than in high school. I knew tons of people that had anxiety problems, some with panic attacks, depression, all that. College can help in some instances. Like when I get panicky, I try to do homework or read a chapter or study, it's amazing how it can take your mind off of the anxiety. Take care and I'm sure things will get better when you meet some people. Keep us updated.

G

·
Hey, Matt.

Firstly, stick with it. Just realise that, for now, it's going to be normal for you to feel overwhelmed by so much new stimulation in your life. Don't beat yourself up over it, but be proud of yourself for taking it on. I think one important thing might be to make sure you've time away from people by yourself, just to process things. Kind of like letting the new slot into the old and accepting it. Maybe go for a walk in a quiet area, get away to a room by yourself, find a peaceful place to write things down so that you don't feel so confused. Perhaps having a memento of home nearby or with you would help when you're taking this time out. Something that can centre you a bit, although I know dp/dr really throws you off-centre. But something you're a passion for can be a help to have around. And make sure you know you've this refuge to go to, if things start to feel as if they're piling up. It's a bit of a balancing act with dp/dr, I think. Sometimes you can spend too much time thinking, and then outside things are a distraction and a good outlet. But other times there's too much outside 'overload' going on, and you need some space to feel anything like yourself.

G

·
Hey, Matt.

Firstly, stick with it. Just realise that, for now, it's going to be normal for you to feel overwhelmed by so much new stimulation in your life. Don't beat yourself up over it, but be proud of yourself for taking it on. I think one important thing might be to make sure you've time away from people by yourself, just to process things. Kind of like letting the new slot into the old and accepting it. Maybe go for a walk in a quiet area, get away to a room by yourself, find a peaceful place to write things down so that you don't feel so confused. Perhaps having a memento of home nearby or with you would help when you're taking this time out. Something that can centre you a bit, although I know dp/dr really throws you off-centre. But something you're a passion for can be a help to have around. And make sure you know you've this refuge to go to, if things start to feel as if they're piling up. It's a bit of a balancing act with dp/dr, I think. Sometimes you can spend too much time thinking, and then outside things are a distraction and a good outlet. But other times there's too much outside 'overload' going on, and you need some space to feel anything like yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts