Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a completely hairbrained idea, but it's not it will be my first or anything...........
Talked with a cousin of mine this morning, who happened to be near Djakarta when the big quake happened. Aside from hearing about all the damage caused by the earthquake itself, let alone the tsunamis - I am moved by suffering on such a massive scale. Being DP, this doesn't happen to me very often. When I hear about disasters on the news or something, it just sort of goes right on by me, as if it's not real.
Hearing Mike cry from thousands of miles away made it more real.

So, the hairbrained idea: I figure the only thing I can do to help is donate money, which I will do. My choice would be Mercy Corps or Northwest Medical Teams, based on what I understand about how the money would be used. This place has PayPal abilities. Is there any interest here in making a group donation of some kind, under the name of DPSelfHelp?
I understand people here like anywhere else are in different socio-economic brackets. The good thing about PayPal is that, as far as the group goes anyway - it's anonymous. Oh, and Rev - if you read this: is it even possible? I know we accept donations for the site, but can that somehow be separated from a group donation for another cause?

Anyway, just an idea. I'm putting it in the main section so it will get more views.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm with it too.

Interesting, at Amazon.com as soon as you log on there The Red Cross logo is right there. Amazon will take any donation and 100% goes to the tsunami victims. I figure if every person even donated $10.00 it could make a huge difference.

I'd also gather at The Red Cross website... I'd gather it's http://www.redcross.org but I haven't looked would also take donations online.

This is truly a horrendous thing. Astounding.

I'm in.

Glad you posted this SC.

Best,
D

· Registered
2,383 Posts
P.S.

Agreed since everyone has differing ability to contribute any sum can help. I have to run but I'll look up The Red Cross and

SC what is the website URL to the organization you mentioned?

And glad you're cousin is AOK.

· Registered
366 Posts
This 'Group Donation' is a really great idea actually (my God did I just write that without sarcasm). I mean it also kinda' helps us be more normal. Of course it's about the victims of the tsunami, but a bunch of indifferent space cadets who don't fit in with the rest of the world, organising such a donation is splendid.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
This is pretty amazing. I just went ahead and contributed at amazon.com

It seems VERY safe, and I think the minumum contribution is $5.00. You get an immediate email receipt and of course any donation is tax deductible -- DO IT BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR, BOTH FOR THE VICTIMS AND IF YOU WANT A 2004 TAX DEDUCTION. You do need a credit card. AMEX accepted as well as the other standard cards.

Statistics so far...

Total US Dollars Collected: $5,635,933.57 :!:
Total # of Payments: 89,763

I'd say go ahead and contribute right now any way that's easiest. If we can get a group thing going here that would be excellent as well.... through SC's site?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started this post mostly as an idea for us to do something...together. Maybe bring us closer together as a group. Individual contributions to the entity of your choice is great too. For those that don't have the extra cash, I'm a firm believer in positive energy. Maybe just point some good thoughts towards the affected areas. Can't hurt anyway.

My little site can't accept money. And I don't even know if there's any way to accept it here. Investigating that now...........
Anyway, I just thought it would be cool to have DPSelfHelp listed somewhere as a donating group, and to give the members something to rally around.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
My little site can't accept money. And I don't even know if there's any way to accept it here. Investigating that now...........
Anyway, I just thought it would be cool to have DPSelfHelp listed somewhere as a donating group, and to give the members something to rally around.
SC I meant that other site you mentioned initially. Can you post that URL. Anyone who contribues over $250.00 through amazon gets recognized by the Red Cross.

It would be cool to do a group thing. Meantime let's do whatever we can.

I also highly recommend the amazon site. It was easy as pie, and it's a very secure website for transactions.

And yes, good vibes and prayers -- however one "connects" is valuable as well.

Peace,
D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what the people in the affected areas need is Food,Water and shelter not money.... They need help like equipment, clothing, and supplies. Money isn't really gonna do anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont have a credit card and got hardly any money, but will find some and donate to the dutch funds.
Nice idea sc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Money is the only thing of value we can contribute. If I thought it would help, I'd put a stamp on a loave of bread and mail it to Sri Lanka. For now though, money buys water, food, medicine, building supplies, etc. In this case, money buys time for these people, and hope.

I have donated to the following:

Mercy Corps - http://www.mercycorps.org/
Northwest Medical Teams - http://www.nwmti.org/

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Johnny_Utah said:
what the people in the affected areas need is Food,Water and shelter not money.... They need help like equipment, clothing, and supplies. Money isn't really gonna do anything.
the cost to ship bulk items would be much more than to just send money. they have enough stuff already in areas north so they dont need us to send whats in our cupboards. only money can do the most good because money will get those things to them. it would be hard to send my box of tampons over there. much more efficiant to add monies to the pot.

donate :wink:

another misconception is that there are tons of orphans that need adoption so that we westerners can give them a better life. WRONG!!! the last thing these kids need is to be uprooted from their homeland and thrust into a totally foreign environment after this trauma. let their countrymen take care of them cause contrary to popular WESTERN belief they are more than capable. they just need money, to help feed these kids, get them medicines and help them recconnect with their extended families. there are alot of orphaned parents as well. 1/4th of the total lives lost were that of children. there are alot of parents already there that can adopt these kids. they speak their language and they have that connection of loss and tragedy. they can help each other. they will be fine as long as they have the means to. they have all lost their homes and all their possessions as well. they need housing and all their infastructure put back into place. they need our help. SO....

DONATE! :wink:

· Registered
2,383 Posts
LOL, Sleepingbeauty, but thou speakest the truth...

it would be hard to send my box of tampons over there. much more efficiant to add monies to the pot.
donate
Johnny,
As SleepingB said supplies of all sorts, and that includes water, food, medicine, basic staples of life, exist on the continent inland from the shoreline communities where the damage occurred ... the entire infrastructure in those areas have to be reconstructed from the ground up and that can't happen in a day.

Many hospitals were wiped out. There will have to be individuals hired (and some will volunteer) to help with reconstruction. Such people are in those areas or are en route. I'd gather airports in some areas are unusable or have very limited use right now, I don't know.

Also, the governments of many countries, as well as the Red Cross and other humanitarian organizations are most well-equipped to deal with the logistics of all of this. They will know how many helicopters, trucks, medics, troops for law-enforcement, food/water supply vehicles, etc., etc., etc. are needed and where.

Governments are contributing tangible things such as manpower, machinery, transport vehicles etc., these things have to be paid for, and it is more efficient to get this in motion by assisting those with expertise in disaster relief.

Sleeping summed it up. Governmental contributions will cover certain immediate tangible needs, and our personal contributions will help pick up the slack or hasten these efforts.

It's all we can do.

My thought is, when 9/11 hit the U.S. I was truly in shock. It was horrifying, and far fewer people died and there was far less damage. And one person dying is one too many.

As I always say, we live in a global economy, we are more and more one world. Other countries were kind enough, generous enough to help US out, I see it as merely returning that generosity. We all depend on each other, whether we like it or not, or whether we believe it or not.

At uni, some fellow students made a great animated short film called, "Our House Has No Door" -- that house is the Earth. We're all in this together.

I hope I never need the assistance of The Red Cross, but I am happy to contribute to their organization, because.... you never know....

Peace,
Dreamer

· Registered
1,003 Posts
the information thats coming in hour after hour is unbelievable. now they are saying that entire towns with up to 10,000 residents were 'WIPED OFF THE MAP... INCINERATED'. and these towns have yet to recieve any sort of help or body count because they are inaccessable. first they were saying that maybe 1/4 of the people in these farming communities were feared dead.. then it went up to half. now they are saying there are NO SURVIVORS if any. entire communities VANISHED! washed into a watery grave. the tapes that we have seen so far show just resort and similar communities far from the epicenter. these villages were right next to it... so the ones that survived the 5 minuite 9.0 earthquake (terrifying enough) had to face down a wave the size of a mountian. 9/11 was horrible and i cried my eyes out for days. but this disaster is so shocking in its scale that i cant cry. i havent shed one tear because of the shock of it all. its just too much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.