Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,298 Posts
I have discovered that taking anti-histamines has had a positive effect on my DP/DR. I take Claritin and Zantac. I have also had results from Zyrtec.

I had an allergy test done both the blood and prick test, which basically showed no allergies. I don't believe my DP is allergy related.

To my surprise I was talking with another member of this forum who has suffered from long term DP and they said they have been taking Claritin to help with DP for forever. I couldn't believe someone else with DP had similar results.

By no means has this been a cure. I'd say at best it has made me feel 15% up to possibly 30% better. More like 15%. I don't know about you, but I'll take 15% anyday.

I'm not claiming it's a cure, but it's something cheap and over the counter you could try. If you're interested, I would recommend trying Claritin and just getting the lowest amount you can to try out.

If you notice any results please report back here and let us know!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've tried this lol as I was sure that mirtazapine was curing me at one stage which is an antidepressant that is also a strong antihistamine (perhaps consider it if you haven't tried it?). They help me with sleep but make me drowzy otherwise and I cant see them helping my DP, but glad you found some relief!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was on the antihistamine Alimemazine for 10 years straight, and it has been nothing but detrimental to my health.

Now, it's extremely important to make the distinction between first and second generation antihistamines. Alimemazine belonging to the former category.

First generation antihistamines are nasty systemic drugs with strong sedative and most importantly anticholinergic (extremely dangerous) effects.

I assume the drugs you're mentioning are of the selective second gen variant which are completely harmless, but the distinction needs to made so that people won't

OD on Benadryl in an effort to cure their DP, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts