Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
First off I do not know what to call it. "trails" "tracers" "ghosting" or whatever. Its basically motion blur, which is normal. But normally you only see so much of it and the trail only goes for so long. Lately even when i'm just distracted and not thinking about DP at all this effect will make me think of DP. It is quick to startle me.

A prime example is today I was going to go to the bathroom at work and wasn't thinking about anything but going to the bathroom..... I started walking to the door in this dimly lit room and I went to reach for the door knob and as I ***watched my hand come up to the door knob (note that the door, floor, and all suroundings are dark with the dim light reflecting off my hand/arm) I instantly became aware of how much damn "trailing" was coming off of my arm. The door knob is chrome and as I opened the door I could see the repeated shine and door knob move through the dark.

The worst of it is when i'm not even thinking about it but almost like a single "ghost" catches me off guard. So in this case I saw and after image of my arm lag (in time) well enough behind that it pulled my attention to it.

If anybody has any input on this or can relate i'd like to hear it. I know somebody has posted to me before that they get this. It seems to be getting worse.

I made these images really quick. They are crappy but kind of demonstrate it a bit.

It should be noted that I get ghosting on slow moving objects. If I don't follow the object with my eyes but just move it around I can see blurry ghosting coming off of it.

This one is like if its night time and you wave a shiney spoon around in your kitchen. Wherever the light hits strongly (highlights) there are trails.

***On a side note. Normally I would just do things with out really looking, but for some reason since DP/DR I look at what my hands are doing a lot more now. I watch my own actions a lot more instead of just blindly doing them. So strange....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh I get this big time.
I didn't actually realise that it was anything unusual until I read about it. Is it about afterimages because I get afterimages which stay for absolutely ages even when I don't look at something in detail. Like when I close my eyes there's always this huge mess of light which lasts for ages. But yeah I get the trails with every moving object at all times. It doesn't really bother me much though.
So I stay in the dark most of the time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Is there any drug relation? Or do you guys think this is a standard DP/DR thing that comes with the whole light-sensitivity territory?

Its one of the first things I noticed. Like if i look at a light/led and then look away, i will see it streak in the opposite direction too.

thanks guys

Edit:
Is it about afterimages because I get afterimages which stay for absolutely ages even when I don't look at something in detail. Like when I close my eyes there's always this huge mess of light which lasts for ages.
Yeah exactly. Which has something to do with the photosensitivity or something. It seems the after images thing is common. negative and positive ones. When I close my eyes I have a mess of crap as well

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Bluetank,

I get these also, we have talked about this subject before. I see the same thing as your excellent picture of the hand moving toward the doorknob, except the trails,afterimage,slow motion appearance is usually white in color no matter what is moving. It only happens in dim lighting. In the sunshine or in a store, or when the lights are on I dont get it. When I wild into a fairly dim room, as I go throught the door, I get and instant afterimage of the white door jamb, and it goes away in instantly. I watch people walk by me and try to see if I see their trail behind them, sometimes I am looking so hard I see what I dont want to see. I am always waving my hand in front of my face slowly and fast in all types of light to see if I see any thing, I never do though. I do look at my hand and feel it looks weird or fake. I do see sometimes things being a differnt color for a split second than it really is (for example, I look down at a peice of paper and see a spot of yellow. and the other day I was looking at my wife hair and saw some of it as blue. Weird) I don't see stuff like this all the time, but when I do I obsess over it. I scares me to think that this could be the result of taking LSD (only a 1/2 of peice) one single time 20 years ago, or possibly from smoking weed about three times at the same age. HPDD? God I hope not. This has a possible link to OCD and DR. Once you look for something you really start to notice it, which is normal for everone else. I had a psychologist once describe panic attacks and GAD not being familiar with you surroundings and focusing on outlines of objects ( Ihave not noticed this before) but now I still cant stop seeing this and scaring myself. Most of my symptoms are because I have read something or someone mentioned to me as a possible symptom or orgin of what I have (DR,anxiety, depression,and OCD) From childhood on I could tell you a million thoughts, perceptions, fears, and obsessions (ruminations) Any one without these symptoms can see it to if they wave their hand quickly and look for it. I think it is your brain being slowed down and the connection from eye to brain is not instant, but a little delayed. I used to smoke cigarettes a while ago. When I smoked in the dark I too my cigarette and made zig zag or random patterns or circles and the glow would stay for and instant or if I did it in a circle it I watched the action and the movement of the real glow and then instantly an a trail of red would follow the same path to the exact resting spot. (Kind of like 4th of July sparklers moving in circles but more delayed) Another thing that bothers me is in the dark, and using a cell phone, If I look at the display (mine is blue) in motion I see a blur of blue follow it wherever I move it. I get the sparks out of nowhere (gold colored)(tiny). I see static when I look in the blue sky or white surface (little squiggles also - white blood cells rushung through capillaries). Double vision while looking at the flat screen TV, and hundreds more. Floaters ect... (I had an eye doctor look at my eyes and before the exam he said I probably had alot of floaters because my eyes are soo blue, I was amazed. I was soo relieved to find out that this was normal. I could write a book on all my perceptions. Why i Say OCD because of the constant checking and perhaps are we making some of this up by super analyzing it? Believe it or not I did not get alot of my syptoms until I read it on here and the HPPD forum. Am I a hypochondriac? Maybe. Or am I really seeing these thing, I believe I am. Sometimes when I see a visual disturbance in my periphial (sp?) vision, I think here we go again , and I look and it is some thing real like a cat walks by.( I thought it was some of these weird visuals.) This thing has me all messed up. Another visual disturbance is things look flat or 2D sometimes 3D. The outside world looks weird or fake, when I look out the window it is even worse. I question what is space(air and the void in between objects -- I got this when I read a book saying that DR is like beeing in a vacuum, so I over analyzed it until I got this irrational thinking. How did we get here. There could be nothing blackness no life no existence but we are here. Scares the shit out of me. Does these things bother anyone else? probably not. If a normal person has these thought the dismiss them quickly. Trees and people appear flat or sticking out at me. I talked to another girl on here who had the exact same thing (the trees looking flat and 2d vision) on this site and it was her primary concern with her DR, and she has never done any drugs.

Has anyone else reading this have visuals disturbances while never doing drugs??

Like I say I am a 37 year old male. I have a tiny bit of experimentation when I was 16 (above) and I am afraid some of my symptoms are caused by this. But then I tell my self I had many similar symptoms, before I did the drugs (once again I could decribe many visual disturbances before that scared me just as bad. The worst thing for me back then and now isnthat life is not real or a dream and any thing out of the usual reinforces the fact of this. So maybe the drugs enhanced my DR maybe not. Maybe my DR is escalting on its own causing a new set of symptoms, matbe this is all a result of being so suggestible and hyper-vigilant.

I asked my current psychiatrist (sp?) if their could be a link after all these years or I permantly damaged my brain and I will always live in insane land. He said no, the drugs do put you in an imbalance with your serotonin levels, but not after all these years, and he dismissed it totally. He said with the medication that we are working on is trying to regulate the same thing that a drug will affect - serotonin and dopamime.
If anyone is interested I can list my medications.

I feel alot better than a year ago, but some things wont go away. Obsessions, visuals, existential thinking, high anxiety (GAD), and depression.

I had a great weekend, I did not notice any of these problems. I was happy being with my family, and so far this week every thing is ok. If I see something it's ok with me, I am not going to let it bother me. I think the Luvox and Klonopin is helping with relaxing me, and taking away some of the Obsessions. I feel real, the world feels real. I can probably conjure up these things again by thinking about them and looking for things to drive me insane, but I am trying not to. Easier said than done.

For me this thing is a result of a chemical imbalance, I can't recall any trauma, was never a heavy drug user, or any of the other causes. Happy childhood. Mental illness is genetic, on my mothers side, everyone has or had some sort of mental imbalance. So it must be chemical or something even deeper like abnormal structure of our chromosomes and DNA strands, who knows. Maybe they will find an answer to mental illness in our lifetime and find a way to cure us. I have had it all my life and will have it the rest. All I can do is to make the best of what I got, no matter how hard it is and not fall into the mind tricks.

Always willing to talk.

Greg

·
Registered
79 Posts
First off I do not know what to call it. "trails" "tracers" "ghosting" or whatever. Its basically motion blur, which is normal. But normally you only see so much of it and the trail only goes for so long. Lately even when i'm just distracted and not thinking about DP at all this effect will make me think of DP. It is quick to startle me.

A prime example is today I was going to go to the bathroom at work and wasn't thinking about anything but going to the bathroom..... I started walking to the door in this dimly lit room and I went to reach for the door knob and as I ***watched my hand come up to the door knob (note that the door, floor, and all suroundings are dark with the dim light reflecting off my hand/arm) I instantly became aware of how much damn "trailing" was coming off of my arm. The door knob is chrome and as I opened the door I could see the repeated shine and door knob move through the dark.

The worst of it is when i'm not even thinking about it but almost like a single "ghost" catches me off guard. So in this case I saw and after image of my arm lag (in time) well enough behind that it pulled my attention to it.

If anybody has any input on this or can relate i'd like to hear it. I know somebody has posted to me before that they get this. It seems to be getting worse.

I made these images really quick. They are crappy but kind of demonstrate it a bit.

It should be noted that I get ghosting on slow moving objects. If I don't follow the object with my eyes but just move it around I can see blurry ghosting coming off of it.

This one is like if its night time and you wave a shiney spoon around in your kitchen. Wherever the light hits strongly (highlights) there are trails.

***On a side note. Normally I would just do things with out really looking, but for some reason since DP/DR I look at what my hands are doing a lot more now. I watch my own actions a lot more instead of just blindly doing them. So strange....
Great pictures simulating your visual disturbances. How do you do this, no I don't to know, to techno for me. At least you do have skills at photo editing! I get the same thing as you, we are the same, and I hate it for both of us.

Greg

·
Registered
783 Posts
Greg, thanks thanks thanks for the extensive response. I like a lot of what your saying and I agree and have the same questions and persuits.

except the trails,afterimage,slow motion appearance is usually white in color no matter what is moving.
I can kind of relate to that. Not entirly, but white does this to me the most. A really good example is sitting at a stop light looking forward waiting for the light to turn green. When cars go by they leave a sort of afterghost trailing behind, ESPECIALLY the white vehicles. Other colors hardly do at all.

It only happens in dim lighting. In the sunshine or in a store, or when the lights are on I dont get it. When I wild into a fairly dim room, as I go throught the door, I get and instant afterimage of the white door jamb, and it goes away in instantly.
When I was first looking into my problem(s) I found out and would tell people that it has everything to do with Contrast and Proportion. Basically how bright something is over how dark the surroudings are, and also the size.

I am always waving my hand in front of my face slowly and fast in all types of light to see if I see any thing, I never do though. I do look at my hand and feel it looks weird or fake.
I do this too. Its all about contrast. If i wave my hand in the dark with light hitting my hand I see this sort of effect, like in the pic i made. I know this is normal, but its the degree that is not normal.

it. I scares me to think that this could be the result of taking LSD (only a 1/2 of peice) one single time 20 years ago, or possibly from smoking weed about three times at the same age. HPDD? God I hope not. This has a possible link to OCD and DR.
I'd like to know the details on this. Were you fine after taking drugs, but then DP/DR came on later? if so how long? I'm very curious on this for a personal reason i'll get into later.
There is some OCD in my family.

Once you look for something you really start to notice it, which is normal for everone else.
This is very very true. Googleitis and the power of suggestion. For me I always recall back to the first real month of having DP/DR. I didn't know what was going on. I went to the opthomalogist and got glasses for Astigmatism Myopia and I was like "will this help (insert dp stuff here)" and he gave me a strange look. I was noticing things well before any knowledge of what I really had and well before any depressioin or anything. As i've said in the past... 30 years of being one way.... you bet I can see and know a difference. I noticed my monitors were brighter. Caffiene seemed to make me frazzled. I felt like I had tunnel vision. I started seeing streaky light, especially on my cell phone. All before even knowing about Panic Disorder or DP/DR. Then later there were things that I could possibly say is me just overthinking and "noticing". I hear floaters are a big one with that.

Any one without these symptoms can see it to if they wave their hand quickly and look for it. I think it is your brain being slowed down and the connection from eye to brain is not instant, but a little delayed.
Yeah, motion blur. The problem is in the "shades of grey" (as a form of expression). I've always had motion blur but now its exaggerated like crazy, especially in my peripheral. As I drive on the highway I get negative after images coming off of the street lamps!!! this is during the day time I should photoshop that one too. Its just that its different. I think a lot of people get used to it, but its tough when your an artist and also i've got 4 months going up against 30 years here
. This all is the light sensitivity, i just know it. The after images and all that crap. just has to be.

I have a lot of the visual crap you have. Some not so much, but we are pretty similar. As I look for information and answers on these things I really start to think about the shades of grey... How much. I wish I could see through somebody elses eyes and see how much they get the sparky crap and how much visual noise etc...

Why i Say OCD because of the constant checking and perhaps are we making some of this up by super analyzing it? Believe it or not I did not get alot of my syptoms until I read it on here and the HPPD forum. Am I a hypochondriac? Maybe. Or am I really seeing these thing, I believe I am.
After a while this happened a bit with me. People would tell me things and I would kind of experience it. Some of the main ones we are talking about are consistent though with me and others just seem to fade away. The damn trails/blur keeps popping up, and i'm not looking for it at all.

I havent had too much really crazy DR. I've had some high anxiety early on when depression first kicked in where I had things like it looks like its raining but its not!!! that one is freaky. Also the 2d type of look. I've had the thing with trees lines looking flat. I looked out a window of a place and saw 2 sets (lines) of trees. They looked realistic but dimentionally it was like South Park. Like just one line of painted trees sitting in front of another set further back. I remember thinking "So thats what they mean....."

I've also sorta had that effect of peoples heads seeming bigger or whatever. Wackyness. Feeling tall while walking. then looking down and feeling short.

Has anyone else reading this have visuals disturbances while never doing drugs??
This is the big question for me!!! I've asked it before and I'm trying to find out. How much do drugs effect this. Now i'll bring up what I said I was going to - I smoked weed and had a bad trip 12 years ago and I guess I Dp'd for like 4 days. Anyways that was 12 years ago. I stopped smoking. I don't do drugs. I Dp'd 4 months ago and I have all these effects. Did what I did 12 years ago have some sort of dormant type effect? Was it laced? I'm saying no it was not laced. My friend was fine, he said it wasn't, and I heard LSD burns up, so it wouldn't be LSD for one.

Right now my answer (not looking at the potential shades-of-grey) is a No. Most people are not effected exactly, unless it was some heavy use. But I still don't know.

Greg... So was there any gap between drugs and chronic DP/DR?

[-quote-]He said no, the drugs do put you in an imbalance with your serotonin levels, but not after all these years, and he dismissed it totally. [-/quote-]

I'm not a doctor... Somebody told me similar things. Laughing saying "hahah that weed is way out of your system by now.. 12 years. cmon'" But who knows. We don't seem to know much about this stuff so perhaps it could be like a revolving door. You get high and a door (like in an indiana jones movie) revolves around in your mind with a table of treats, you enjoy whats on the table, its delicious. But then one day you have a bad trip and shit all over the treats. Then that revolves back around..... 12 year later... hey, but its been 12 years.... that shit is long gone. the door revolves around again for whatever reason and now you got Shit for brains! I know this is a totaly insane analogy. But seriously there are people who have taken LSD and then had HPPD hit them decades later. decades. I dunno. I just thought i'd throw that out there. So random. sorry.
One reason I bring it up is because this site is full of people with DP/DR they tie to a drug trip / panic attack but with a chronic trigger later ranging from 1 day to 4 days to 3 months.

I feel alot better than a year ago, but some things wont go away. Obsessions, visuals, existential thinking, high anxiety (GAD), and depression.
This is awesome and it gives me hope. My big thing is that its all about "how much". How much salt on my chips. How small is too small for a bed or a refridgrator. The same applies to this situation. I would like to get back to where I was 5 months ago. And back then I had times of depression. I had existential thinking and have had all my life-- I always figured everybody did. I had some obsesssions and some visual things perhaps. But only to a certain degree. Back 5 months ago I could manage my life and be happy. I could manage what I needed to do next and plan trips and plan my life out. I would think about how perhaps behind my back nothing exists or that people change into hideus looking creatures. But then quickly I could start thinking about planning a trip with a friend or remembering to do the dishes. The problem now is that i'm ALWAYS stuck on crap. Its getting better, but my mind is so narrow now. All I do is focus on DP and what happens next, next being like 10 minutes, not 10 days or 10 years. So fucked. In the past i've obsessed over things but they didn't really hinder my life too much. in short "I can't complain". But now these new obsessions are crippling. Its hard to focus at work when you keep looking at your desktop icons and then up at the wall and seeing how long it takes for them to fade away.

I am on 75mg of Zoloft and takign Klonopin. .5 morning. .5 mid day 1mg at night. I think its too much but i'm trying it out. I regret to say that I think they are helping. The regret is that i'd like to be off meds all together. They actually add a level of stress to me honestly. I live alone. You give a guy with newly found bad Memory problems cause of DP strong medication? yikes. This morning I cut a Klonopin in half. Took it. Came back a bit later to get the other half to bring to work for the mid-day one. Where did it go!? It was gone. Did I take it too on accident? I don't even know man. I dont' know. Did I already have a half lying around and never actually cut one? I don't think so. But at this point man I dont know. Its scary.

For me this thing is a result of a chemical imbalance, I can't recall any trauma, was never a heavy drug user, or any of the other causes. Happy childhood. Mental illness is genetic, on my mothers side, everyone has or had some sort of mental imbalance. So it must be chemical or something even deeper like abnormal structure of our chromosomes and DNA strands, who knows. Maybe they will find an answer to mental illness in our lifetime and find a way to cure us. I have had it all my life and will have it the rest. All I can do is to make the best of what I got, no matter how hard it is and not fall into the mind tricks.
Yep, almost never deperessed. Was totaly happy and loving it when DP/DR kicked in. Smoked weed about 10 times, with the one bad trip. Never touched a cigarette in my life. No other drugs. Stayed healthy ESPECIALLY up to getting DP/DR, running, eating whole foods... and yet it still happened. And it runs in my family.

I believe around 2008 there was some good stuff coming out about them finding out what DNA is linked to Panic Disorder. Its sort of a set. How they find this out is along with how apparantly they can kinda tell if somebody will have issues later in life by testing as a baby. Ya throw a ball in front of a baby. The one that freaks out is most likely to start an Emo band and DP on Salvia. The other one that just looks at it blankly and pushes it away is goign to be a jar head, and the one that picks it up and plays with it is, i dunno, gay. LOL ok i'm being sarcastic and having fun right now. But no I actually read about this stuff and they are looking into the genetics on Panic Disorder.

[-quote-]Great pictures simulating your visual disturbances. How do you do this, no I don't to know, to techno for me. At least you do have skills at photo editing! I get the same thing as you, we are the same, and I hate it for both of us.[-/quote-]

Thanks. I know photoshop. Its cool that we are similar because it kind of answers some of the things i've been wondering. I hate talking to like my mom and she says "Hey I get that too!" but its total BS. I should mock up a few more things in photoshop.

Good talking with ya.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Here is a list of my symptoms

Symptoms

Mental:

Removed from body (Depersonalization)...............................DP/DR. Lack of attachment to the world I knew including emotions and general recognition
Things seem unreal
Things feel new
Detached from what was familiar
Intrusive Thoughts..............................................................Random thoughts pop into mind. Lack of concentration and focus.
Lack of concentration
Heavy Memory Loss............................................................Short term and "Recall" memory issues. Day seems like a blur.
Severe Insomnia ...............................................................Heavy lack of ability to sleep. Wake up in middle of night
Loss of sensation ...............................................................Out of touch with feeling hungry/full or tired/awake and time
Spacial Temporal Reasoning................................................Loss of cognition

Perceptual:
"Tunnel Vision" or "Fish Bowl" ............................................ Peripheral vision is sensitive but blurry.
Paranoia
Agoraphobia / Avoidant behavior

Visual:

Light Sensitivity ............................................................ Light hurts my eyes. Things previously ok are now extra bright to me.
Astigmatism Myopia ......................................................... Double vision at a distance, especially Green Light (total mystery)
Glare/bursts .................................................................... Glare off of bright things. Bursts off of flourescent or LED lights
Halos ............................................................................. Slight rainbow halo rings around edges of some lights
Stars/sparks ....................................................................Gold sparks in vision. Drifting "burn" sparks on occasion
Flaoters ...........................................................................Dark or Light floaters
Flashing Lights / Light Blobs................................................ Either in peripheral or while eyes are closed.
Visual Snow .....................................................................Noisy vision at night or when things are bad. Low light situations.
After Images....................................................................Positive and negative after images from any form of contrast after looking at something for only a bit.
Light Trials ...................................................................... Light trails in motion

Auditory:

Sound sensitivity...............................................................Jumpy at sound. Things seem very loud and annoying.
Ringing in ear...................................................................Most often Left ear. Lasts a short period of time

Bodily/Anxiety:
Parathesia ........................................................................Muscle twitches and tingles around body and face
Anxiety buzzing.................................................................Burning sensation in extremities and back of neck.
Lump in throat

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hard to do. Kind of exaggerated. But yeah I had to include those damn warbly light effect you get around the edge of your vision. wtf with those.
For me, depending on the lighting/mood and all that it just reminds me of some sort of horror film filter. Surreal.

Damn LED's and all sorts of lights started to get a doubled look and glare to them overnight. Its like I can't really get a good focus even if I try. The closer I get the sharper and better it gets. The further away I get the more wacked out it gets. can anybody relate to that? Like a pitch black room with an LED for your monitor or something or a bright clock with strange visual artifacts coming off of it..

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can't really relate to your experience of tracers/trails/ghosting but I get that effect you have with LED lights. Especially when I'm tired or particularly stressed out.
Nice house by the way

·
Human
2,255 Posts
So is this somehow related to some kind of illness or dp/dr? I have had tinnnitus and "floaters" and visual snow and afterglow all my life. I used to freak out about it when I was a kid but then I learned to accept it. Recently the vision stuff has gotten worse tho. What is the bottom line with all of this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
So is this somehow related to some kind of illness or dp/dr? I have had tinnnitus and "floaters" and visual snow and afterglow all my life. I used to freak out about it when I was a kid but then I learned to accept it. Recently the vision stuff has gotten worse tho. What is the bottom line with all of this?
Because of lights i hate driving at night. Especially the red lights have all those lines emitting from them, they heavilly confuse me. My radio/navigator display also.

I cant confirm the motion blurring, i havent seen that (yet).

My memory is also heavily affected. Cant recall simple names i heard yesterday. They may come from alone, but usually its just a void in my head.

Tunnel vision - check. All this "unreal" feeling, like a dream.

Concentration - check, cant focus on books anymore, even movies seem "2-dimensional", i just "consume" them, visually.

Floaters - check, got several of them.

Muscle twitches - my right lower eyelid just recently started to twitch from alone 60% of the day.

Lump in throat - very, very ofte. After i ate or drank i am constantly trying to get rid of this.

What i have to add: i sleep very well, feeling tired all day, even after a lot of sleep (which makes it worse).
I also wear glasses/lenses. My glasses worsen my DP. I have -4 on both eyes and i noticed when i remove my glasses/lenses
and take a walk outside, my head starts to "clear". This seems to be the case also with other people when they are under water.
So it may be the visual being a big part of it all.

EDIT: Have yourself checked for heterophoria. Its a form of being crosseyed, but not visible. One eyes always tries to drift away from a normal parallel situation and it needs to be corrected by the brain/eye muscles. I had that diagnosis and needed to wear prismatic glasses, that correct the eye axis. Sadly i had massive headaches from them, so i stopped wearing them. Sympthoms are those of DP, plus all the photos you show up there.

·
Human
2,255 Posts
Oh fuck in my current state of close to heatstroke and dehydration (Damn you sun! DAMN YOU!) I completely forgot that DR can get as bad as this thread describes for some people. HPPD or Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder is a very real thing. I appologize for my stupidity.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't really relate to your experience of tracers/trails/ghosting but I get that effect you have with LED lights. Especially when I'm tired or particularly stressed out.
Nice house by the way
Well thats good. I concider all these visual things to be a big part of my DP. Razer, Is your DP/DR drug induced?

Oh, thats a random image from the internet and not my house

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inzom: Yeah I don't really know what to say. Its just my attempt to show (picture worth a thousand words) some of my DP effects. Yes this all came on with DP/DR and I never really did any drugs so i'm kind of wondering if more drug induced people get this stuff or not. If it matters or not. Also you raise a question of mine. You say "Is this some kind of illness or dp/dr" and it would be good for me to find out. I have really strange Astigmatism Myopia. It gets hard for me to think all my crap is just DP/DR related and there isn't something else. Although I seem to run into people who have the same crap.

gruesome: I will check into that. I've looked into so much stuff in the past its crazy. I get this strange thing where I see different colors doubled differently.

So for instance your at a stop light at night. it goes Green, to Yellow, to Red. Each color is not blurred the same way and not really in the same direction either. Green is heavily horizontal. yellow not so bad. and red is more vertical. Its fucking crazy! When people don't bring this type of shit up on the internet and forum you start to feel alone.... like DP/DR + Brain Damage or some shit.

Its possible I notice more things because i'm an artist. I see things quite differently in some ways.... long story there.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I drive and i'm looking straight forward I can see after images. Its really bad on the heads of the street lamps because they are very dark with a light back ground. So they trail off just like in this image. I have a red arrow pointing towards one to show it. They get really bad with lack of sleep. Also The doubeling effect in the distance. I can see this on like the dashed road lines and the telephone poles. My driving glasses fix this ok, but i know its DP/DR because my doctor said my eyes are fine and the glasses used to fix things perfectly but I noticed on some bad days they don't do it as well. anyways....

Ok this one was a pain in the ass to do. I've tried describing it to people and talking to doctors about it and everybody just o_O at me. So please let me know if you can relate to this in any way fashion or form. please.

This image is to show how I see traffic lights. In this case its at night and all the lights are lit up (yeah i know that doesn't happen). As you can see the green is pretty horizontally blurred and doubled and as you get further away from it the doubling gets further apart. example : (O) o o . .

The red is kinda more vertical and Yellow not so bad. Blue light is pretty bad and is kinda like green.

I get this during hte day too, espcially on Green lights. Looking up ahead to see what the situation is i will often see 2 green lights for one actual light. and they arent really blurred too much. they are actually decently sharp. just doubled. The stuff around it wont be doubled. meaning the box holding hte lights. the pole. all that stuff wont be as bad. only slightly doubled.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I drive and i'm looking straight forward I can see after images. Its really bad on the heads of the street lamps because they are very dark with a light back ground. So they trail off just like in this image. I have a red arrow pointing towards one to show it. They get really bad with lack of sleep. Also The doubeling effect in the distance. I can see this on like the dashed road lines and the telephone poles. My driving glasses fix this ok, but i know its DP/DR because my doctor said my eyes are fine and the glasses used to fix things perfectly but I noticed on some bad days they don't do it as well. anyways....

Ok this one was a pain in the ass to do. I've tried describing it to people and talking to doctors about it and everybody just o_O at me. So please let me know if you can relate to this in any way fashion or form. please.

This image is to show how I see traffic lights. In this case its at night and all the lights are lit up (yeah i know that doesn't happen). As you can see the green is pretty horizontally blurred and doubled and as you get further away from it the doubling gets further apart. example : (O) o o . .

The red is kinda more vertical and Yellow not so bad. Blue light is pretty bad and is kinda like green.

I get this during hte day too, espcially on Green lights. Looking up ahead to see what the situation is i will often see 2 green lights for one actual light. and they arent really blurred too much. they are actually decently sharp. just doubled. The stuff around it wont be doubled. meaning the box holding hte lights. the pole. all that stuff wont be as bad. only slightly doubled.

Any insight is appreciated.
Thats exactly what i described. My doctor explained it as a "comet tail" you see when you watch colors/lights. Reading on the internet, especially with a lot of contrast (white, worse is yellow, on black) the letters have this tail or "smear". But its definately a visual prob with me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/health/hppd/

On trails:
"It has been suggested that inhibition of the brain's inhibitory mechanisms might lead to decreased ability to screen out some sensory inputs (5). Other suggestions include permanent brain damage, gradual release of stored drug metabolite, conditioned response, and learned reaction to anxiety (3). Rosenthal (6) suggested that certain visual distortions secondary to LSD ingestion are caused by transient electro-physiological changes."

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats exactly what i described. My doctor explained it as a "comet tail" you see when you watch colors/lights. Reading on the internet, especially with a lot of contrast (white, worse is yellow, on black) the letters have this tail or "smear". But its definately a visual prob with me.
Thanks for the response grues0me. The comet trails your talking about are from the driving image right? Which also makes me assume that you would see comet tails on like headlights on cars driving by on the other side of the highway etc..

Yeah I can get a slight ghost of text above text while reading on the internet. Dark bars will become after-image highlights for tings. Like the damn 2 blue bars on this here DPSelfHelp site. As I look around I get light versions of them and if its dark around outside of my monitor those 2 blue bars materialize as noisy yellow bars!!!!

You know those things on the internets where its like "look at this image for one minute and then look over" to see a flower or jesus or something...... its like "look at this image for 1 minute, or if you have DP/DR look at it for 3 seconds."

What about the street lights? Do you get anything like that?

thanks again

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/health/hppd/

On trails:
"It has been suggested that inhibition of the brain's inhibitory mechanisms might lead to decreased ability to screen out some sensory inputs (5). Other suggestions include permanent brain damage, gradual release of stored drug metabolite, conditioned response, and learned reaction to anxiety (3). Rosenthal (6) suggested that certain visual distortions secondary to LSD ingestion are caused by transient electro-physiological changes."
Cool thanks. i've looked into HPPD stuff. I don't have as bad of HPPD as a lot of people do. Not enough to say I really have it I guess. I dunno. But its enough that it bothers me, especially since i'm an artist.

The only illegal drugs i've ever done as far as I know is smoking non-laced pot about 10 times. One time I smoked a LOT and it was "trippy".. Could that cause these permenent effects, independant of DP? 12 years later.

I'm trying to figure this shit out. I have a lot of the same stuff other people have, but a few things seem to be extra fucked up. Is there a way to find out if I have brian damage at all? Damage to the visual part of my brain?

As far as I know i've never taken LSD. I hardly touched legal medication. cigs. nothing.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts