Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
I feel like all my thoughts are running about a million mph and I can't stop them long enough to short through them. If I try and explain someone what I am thinking, they say I don't make since. Not sure if that's what you're feeling, but that's what happens to me.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I think I know what you mean. My thoughts get jumbled a lot, and I have trouble putting them together. Like you said, I can explain them to someone else.. but even then they still don't quite fit together inside my head.

· Registered
816 Posts
Iv'e been a preety bad state of dp/dr duing this weekend (possible due to lots of alchol) and have had the million thoughts a second, mind racing feeling like im overloading etc etc,

I sometimes think that maybe in some way people with dr/dr maybe concious of the millions of mental processes that go on under the surface, and maybe this is why dp/dr can be caused by drugs because many drugs give the mind access to altered states of mind thus processes that go on usually beneath the surface can become concious ... or somethibng like that.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
i know what it is. its ADD, and not DP. cause its what ive had my entire life and ive also had DP/DR symtoms, but they are totally different. i think the DP/DR/dissociation is the way my mind calms down the constant flood of information.

the reason why so many people are misdiagnosed as having something other than ADD is because when people think of attention deficit disorder they think of hyperactive bratty boys. but that is ADHD (attention deficit with hyperactivity disorder) and its completely different. you can look cool as a cucumber on the exterior, but still have severe ADD. im so cool that im exausted all the time. and thats because i cant slow down my brain. its constantly going. and it cant ever stay on track its like there is a little gremlin inside me with a remote control and im fighting with him to get at it. but he wont stop flipping the channel and it get so bad that sometimes it feels like i have several different tvs on at once all flipping and i think im about to blow up cause i cant stop it. but i dont blow up i totally burn out physically because of the stress if it. unfortunately even though my body is exausted, my mind continues to go go go go go. sleep is something i cherish because i get so little of it. and if something wakes me up once i do get to sleep its so hard to fall back asleep cause my brain starts wandering.. then it speeds up again and its so hard to calm it down.

fidgeting is very common, nail biting, leg bouncing, picking at yourself. being snappy with people. feeling frustrated with yourself because you cant finish what you start. when you try to do something if its not grabbing your attention it feels literally like someone is ripping off your limbs cause you cant focus on it and it gets so frustrating that it becomes painful. there are alot more symptoms of ADD, and if any of you are interested it may behoove you to look it up. ADD is easier to treat than DP/DR. there are meds that can really help.

for me though my symptoms havent improved, but im still in the beginning stages of treatment, and i really havent found the med thats really done it for me. strattera was useless. ive had some slight improvement with adderall. im going to try to get a higher dosage and see what that does for me.

· Registered
926 Posts
I know this feeling SO well. For me, it is the precursor to dp. Even trying now to discuss it or explain it, I have a million ideas come into my head that I can't seem to sort out, like I'm not sure what the important bits are and whats not. Affects my essay writing and getting anything done at work. I make lists but find it hard to accomplish anything. I've always thought it's a bit like ADD.

Basically, as soon as my thoughts get a bit out of sync or feel odd, instead of just GETTING ON WITH AND FOCUSING OUTWARD, I try frantically to regain control, inside my head. Instead of just carrying on with life, which would be much more productive.
The frantic search for control, ie lists of thoughts, things to do, etc are not the answer but it is VERY addictive to try and follow each train of thought or try not to forget something 'important' or that other thought which conflicted with what you perceived as a realistic point of view. It does this because you are too introspected and focusing too much on the thoughts.
Think of it like this (I kind of came to this conclusion after pestering Janine with queries on this exact subject and reading a few books) -
It is so counterproductive to try and think your wait out of a confused state. No matter how hard you want to fight for control of your mind, let go. Go back to doing what you were doing, instead of thinking about what you were doing. Then you will gain perspective, a normal healthy realistic relationship with the way your perceive the world. Then you will not have conflicting ideas about which thoughts are important or not etc because you will see they are actually just thoughts, not anything in the real world, and you will be able to take them or leave them. Yep, Im not making much sense either, because the more I try and focus on this subject, the less clear it becomes.
You will be able to think clearer on any subject that needs addressing when your brain is working better! And the chances are those things wont seem half as important as they do now, because you will be much more interested in living in the real world as opposed to your head.

Obsessive thoughts are a way of trying to control something which you can't control in that manner. Once you see how counterproductive it is, it is much easier to say STOP! And then continue your life.

I had so much to do that I spent all weekend worrying about it, thinking about it to the extent where it became impossible to think straight about what was important and what wasn't. My unrealsitic point of view disabled my brain. This morning, I awoke, got up, no procrastination, just got on with what I had to do. I am not thinking, I am doing, and I feel a hundred times better for it. However, making this post is a slight contradiction to that so I am going now to get on with my work!
:D

· Registered
926 Posts
Hadn't read your post until after I posted mine SB. You could be right about ADD. I bought that book you recommended about ADD in women and found that I showed every single sign of having ADD. I fidget big time!

But I also think it could be another symptom of a sort of obsessive condition. I also believe that we can all have traits of something, and that diagnosis of a certain illness is not necessarily definitive.

I'd be interested in Janine's view on ADD and obsessive thoughts. Is ADD an organic thing - does that mean that the million thoughts a minute are automatic thoughts as opposed to us dp'ers perpetuating our own thoughts and obsessing over them. I have to say, I can be in a great mood and feel an almost change in my brain chemistry that makes me have these racing thoughts - like they are automatic. I have no doubt that I can learn to not tune into them though. Is this possible with ADD? Why are some days totally peaceful with no barrage of thoughts? I'm convinced that the introspection and obsessive analysis is what gives me the conflicting thoughts - the ones that try and take you down that rabbit hole to dp land. This trying to understand the brain is what drives me bonkers aswell. :lol:

· Registered
1,003 Posts
g-funk said:
I'd be interested in Janine's view on ADD and obsessive thoughts. :
miss janine was the first one to see the ADD in me. it was a turning point in my life. i have her to thank for that.

there is definately a fine line between all these mental mishaps. sometimes the line gets blurred. you should read my official diagnosis heheh. its totally funny because its so long and its got just about everything except the kitchen sink in it. i cant even say what it is because theres so much in there. my poor doctors are getting as mixed up as i am! :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The klonopin/adderall combo works pretty well for me, when I stick to the dose recommended. I wonder if this would work well for you sleeping.

Klonopin for anxiety, adderall for racing thoughts/focusing.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
i remember reading something in Janine's first book that made a LOT of sense and usually makes the racing thoughts insignificant for me:

(something like this i might be paraphrasing wrongly)

All those thoughts are keeping you busy- keeping you from being aware of how you feel about something, what you are in denial of, etc.

often times my mind messes up more when i'm headed into a situation i KNOW is counterproductive.

like today:

I always seem to do something 'wrong' on certain days: not treat myself right, eat too little or too much or have the wrong amount of caffeine or the wrong thoughts.

I realized every day this occured was the day (the hour before, more specifically), i had to work on my acting project with my partner WHOM I FUCKING HATE! He is slow, dumb, apologizes all the time, and won't stop fucking stuttering. I just want to shoot him in the face. I hate the way he looks and talks and acts and I hate who he is.

and instead of thinking about THAT, I would always somehow do something "wrong" that day and blame my weird feelings on that wrong thing i did. not on how MAD i was that i had to work with this stupid, low-IQ fuckhead.

just saying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.