Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I couldn't get into my old account so I had to start a new one but in short I've had DP/DR really really intensely for about a decade which has been exactly as bad as it sounds. I've run through a lot of different medications with minimal relief however they did enable me to survive in the hardest parts of my journey.

In the last few months I've gone from going off prozac which basically stopped working to going on wellbutrin which sort of worked at first but stopped working as well to adding Ativan on top of the Wellbutrin because I was at the end of my rope. I had a strange inkling that some hormone might be out of whack and I couldn't really tell you why if I had to. I've tried testosterone in the past because of various people claiming relief and my levels were a little low. It worked for the depression amazingly for about three months and then low and behold straight back into depression and DP/DR and I was back at square one.

This time around I was very desperate and I'm talking only weeks ago... I was reading about hypothyroidism. I was tired all the time and thought it was just due to my depression but called my doctor about some recent blood work done and she said everything was normal. Then I spoke with my mother who I know has Hashimoto's disease and she explained to me they didn't catch her's on a blood test and had to do an antibody test to find it. (It runs in families.)

Well that's exactly what happened with me and additionally people with gluten allergies are much more likely to have Hashimoto's which I do have as well. Gluten can really fuck up your thyroid if you have Hashimoto's.

After taking the thyroid hormone for a couple of weeks I can honestly say I have real relief for the first time I think since getting this awful disorder 10 years ago. The derealization has been the most marked improvement which is awesome. It really gives me hope. I'm not saying this is why you have DP/DR but for me at least the dozens of medications I've tried, hormone replacement therapy has been the most helpful and powerfully helpful the quickest.

Even if this only helps one person it was more than worth mentioning. Your thyroid is your body and brain's energy control center and mine was completely dead and I actually felt dead inside. I know most of you are familiar with this feeling.

Please let me know if any of you have had a similar experience.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had mine tested many years ago in a test called T3, T4 as both a markers for thyroid hormone. You usually test it in depression or slightly manic states as a differential diagnosis to exclude a hormonel condition. You will also fell colder in the extremities, be low in energy if it is to low and warmer and more irritable if it is to high. Mine was normal. I think I have the test done 2-3.times though the years. A GP can typically order it as it is very normal to test for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts