Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am having an issue where anytime i have a thought that seems related to any of the things i was obsessed about that i thought was resolved, i will discard it but then i get super anxious because i feel like i need to think about it more. Its nuts. I cant get these thoughts out even when i know they arnt relevent anymore. What the fuck.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
I can relate to that. I think it helps to have some stock phrases or short reminders of your preferred attitude to whatever the subject is, using objectivity and reason, to help correct these thoughts without dwelling on them too much, then dismiss them.

Whether it's self-esteem related, interpersonal or existential, find counter-thoughts or quick corrections that make you feel better or more assured on the matter, then drop it as soon as you can so as not to keep feeding it. Anxious thoughts tend to be habitual, so they will keep bobbing up, but by doing this persistently you can break them down.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This brings back memories. I used to have thoughts that would cause a physical reaction. I would literally cringe with anxiety. My stomach would knot up. True, they were ugly, and unwanted thoughts, but they never would have had such an effect on me

if the temporal lobe of my brain wasn't exhibiting significant pathology. I would later learn about the pathology by having an EEG. Coming to understand the how and why of my illness allowed my mind to be more at ease, and also

provided for appropriate treatment which has led me to where I am today. No psych meds for over 2 years, and feeling fine now for almost 6 years.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Phantasm

Yeah, i agree with everything u said. I try to apply that strategy. It works sometimes and not others. The times it doesnt work is when i feel like life is completely pointless. Im still not sure how to resolve that yet.

This brings back memories. I used to have thoughts that would cause a physical reaction. I would literally cringe with anxiety. My stomach would knot up. True, they were ugly, and unwanted thoughts, but they never would have had such an effect on me

if the temporal lobe of my brain wasn't exhibiting significant pathology. I would later learn about the pathology by having an EEG. Coming to understand the how and why of my illness allowed my mind to be more at ease, and also

provided for appropriate treatment which has led me to where I am today. No psych meds for over 2 years, and feeling fine now for almost 6 years.
I can see that. Knowing the science of why somethings happening tends to put my mind at ease too. Eventually ill prob get an EEG done too. I also can very much relate to the physical symptoms. I had the same ones last night. I also shake. I usually unconsciously shake my foot or leg and ill notice it and itll freak me out that im anxious because i dont want to be.

@Where

Yeah, i tend to write stuff down when im overwhelmed. Thing is ill read them again and again so much it wont make sense after a while, espessially when im sleepy and ill get confused and anxious because ill try to make sense of it again even though my brains too tired to fully comprehend anything.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understandable. I hope you sleep well then, Flask.
My EEG came back normal, but that still leaves me wondering about other conditions such as migraines. Finding a neurologist who takes this stuff seriously is on my to-do list.
Thanks. And its good your EEG came back normal. Yeah migraines are a mystery, i hope they become understood soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know the feeling. It’s almost like you’re scared to forget it in case it comes back? Hard to explain. But I do it to myself all the time. That’s OCD. Do you do anything like meds or therapy to help?

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's called the "imp of the perverse".. at least thats what I've read in the literature. Basically you don't want to think about something so your mind does it automatically. I've taken this concept to new heights and I don't know how to break it, ive had existential OCD for well over a year and it doesn't leave me at any waking moment. The thoughts don't hurt anymore, at least

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's called the "imp of the perverse".. at least thats what I've read in the literature. Basically you don't want to think about something so your mind does it automatically. I've taken this concept to new heights and I don't know how to break it, ive had existential OCD for well over a year and it doesn't leave me at any waking moment. The thoughts don't hurt anymore, at least
I hear ya. Most of the time its there 24/7 for me too but ive noticed that when the thought doesnt hurt anymore, it tends to go away. I hope the same happens for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was on that too and it helped! But my depression was still not great so I switched. Not a good idea I guess. But hopefully my Lexapro will help too?
yeah, ive found cymbalta kinda just takes the edge off for me? Ive also heard its ment to be taken as a second antidepressant if the first isnt working on its own. It prevents my mood from being too extreme. Ill still feel low but it prevents me from feeling suicidal so thats good. It also helps my anxiety which helps my dpdr. Never tried Lexapro but ive heard some good stuff about it. Hope it helps ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts