Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi , I've suffered from both depersonalization and derealization for 20 yrs , back in my early 20s I came to forums like these with that beyond relieved feeling of finding out what it was , for 20 yrs I found nothing helped with crushing dissociation and it evolved into a full blown existential crisis in my mid 30s and I was sure it would kill me.

The thoughts and distortions were so severe I truly wanted to die .

I'm only coming back on these forums to share my experience of being through 40-plus medications and multiple therapies to find that pregabalin-also known as lyrica has been a life saving treatment.

Iv taken it for 8 months and it took time to get to a dosage that's right for me, 150mg 3x daily . Also it's important to note that going off lyrica will cause it all to come back and it will feel worse so I'm careful with it. Perhaps it's inappropriate but I split my dose in half 2 or 3 times a week to prevent tolerance build up.

Nothing else took it away .

I hope this might help someone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi , I've suffered from both depersonalization and derealization for 20 yrs , back in my early 20s I came to forums like these with that beyond relieved feeling of finding out what it was , for 20 yrs I found nothing helped with crushing dissociation and it evolved into a full blown existential crisis in my mid 30s and I was sure it would kill me.

The thoughts and distortions were so severe I truly wanted to die .

I'm only coming back on these forums to share my experience of being through 40-plus medications and multiple therapies to find that pregabalin-also known as lyrica has been a life saving cure .

Iv taken it for 8 months and it took time to get to a dosage that's right for me, 150mg 3x daily . Also it's important to note that going off lyrica will cause it all to come back and it will feel worse so I'm careful with it. Perhaps it's inappropriate but I split my dose in half 2 or 3 times a week to prevent tolerance build up.

Nothing else took it away .

I hope this might help someone.
Thanks for sharing. I've heard about them but now I am considering to try them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are one of the many I have seen getting better by Pregabalin.. it's a horrible med from what I have read especially withdrawal but yeah. Maybe stay on it for life.
Absolutely true about withdrawals , it's a medication that needs to be used with caution. I do plan to stay on it for life .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I dared to try anything, I am not a fan of meds at all. And I don't really believe in them as a cure, they always create more problems in the end..

Iv been through so many medications , I agree with you , this is the only med I will take , I went through a 7 yr battle with clonazepam dependency, I now absolutely hate that med and it was a nightmare to taper off of , my doctor had me up to 6mg a day of it . It did more harm than anything .

Iv had very severe dp/dr chronically for 20 yrs , also I have generalized anxiety disorder , this med for sure wouldn't be for everyone. But if the condition is debilitating and someone is desperate to have those strange thoughts and perceptions completely minimized then it may be worth it.

My dp/dr hit me after using pot as a teen and it never went away .

It really depends on the person .

·
Registered
456 Posts
Iv been through so many medications , I agree with you , this is the only med I will take , I went through a 7 yr battle with clonazepam dependency, I now absolutely hate that med and it was a nightmare to taper off of , my doctor had me up to 6mg a day of it . It did more harm than anything .

Iv had very severe dp/dr chronically for 20 yrs , also I have generalized anxiety disorder , this med for sure wouldn't be for everyone. But if the condition is debilitating and someone is desperate to have those strange thoughts and perceptions completely minimized then it may be worth it.

My dp/dr hit me after using pot as a teen and it never went away .

It really depends on the person .
Only med I want to try is just a "simple" SSRI. Don't want to experiment with too many combinations or other meds. And yeah I know an SSRI has also a lot of side effects and dangers. But Idk, I am familiar with them as I have tried them in the past but never for a long time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story with us, Sniper. Given your username, I will try not to get on your bad side, lol.

I was wondering, if it’s not too much trouble, if you could perhaps explain in a little bit more detail your experience. DPDR, like most psychiatric labels, is an umbrella term, and people on this forum experience their problem in a wide variety of ways. So could you talk more about your specific experiences? What exactly were these “strange thoughts and perceptions?” Was your DP constant since that time you smoked pot? Or did it fluctuate a lot over those 20 years, especially with all those meds you were experimenting with? And then, what exactly changed about your experience as you were using the Lyrica? Did these “strange thoughts and perceptions” just go away? Did you start to slowly feel more grounded in the world around you? Did you find yourself just stop engaging in endless existential rumination without any conscious intent to do so on your part? Did you regain a spontaneous connection to other people?

I know those were a lot of questions so try not to feel overwhelmed. But given that Lyrica as you said can be a nasty drug (which is also true for most of them), it might be helpful for people here if you went into more specific detail so we can make a more informed decision as to whether or not we think it might be beneficial for us.

I’m happy for you that you’ve finally found something that seems to work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts