Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok let me start of by saying i was fine two months ago. i was sitting down in front of a mirror thinking to myself what the meaning of life is. then suddenly i started to ask questions about our perceptions of reality and how each person has his own narrow view of the world. afterwards i started to look deep into the mirror and asked myself is this what i look like? is this me and those types of questions. this triggered my first ever panic attack and i started panicking. i thought i had some sort of memory loss disease like alzheimers and i was so afraid i started crying. but when i cooled off i tried looking in the mirror and i still had trouble accepting myself as me. i knew it was a reflection it was just i couldn't accept that as me. i immedietly told my parents and they sent me to a physciatrist and he said i had anxiety because my dad had moved to afgahnistan and my sister moved away to college and we moved houses. i still can't recognize my reflection whenever i look and it always seems to trigger a panic attack and i don't know what to do. pleasse help

·
Registered
79 Posts
I, and many of us, have been in this state before. It is definitely panic-inducing. But I've also gotten out of it. Really, it should start to pass over time. You just have to be patient and keep a.) reminding yourself that you are not crazy or psychotic, you've just dissociated and b.) make sure to limit your anxiety and get plenty of rest/sleep so thatyour brain rebounds from this diminshed functioning. You can get through this--many of us have! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
i also wanted to ask if it was normal that my i can't recognize my family as my family
One of the effects of anxiety and panic attacks is that they somewhat deaden your other emotions. Humans use emotional feeling induced by seeing others as part of the recognition process (just as important at sight and sound). Since that emotional feeling is impaired, you don't get the usual trigger of emotional context when seeing your family - this makes it difficult for the brain to get the 'I recognise this person' feeling. This is a very normal symptom of anxiety, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel this way sometimes. Its gotten to where I try and avoid looking in the mirror. I want it to just go away. I've started crying again. My depression is worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also when I stare in the mirror for too long I feel this weird sensation sort of rush in my head is that normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts