Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I have been suffering from Depersonalization for 12 years. During the first 5 years I saw over a dozen doctors and tried over 2 dozen meds, none of which helped, at all.

I then stopped seeing doctors and stopped taking meds all together, because no one seemed to understand what I was experiencing and the meds didn't help.

I have since resorted to heavy drinking because doing so gives me temporary relief from what I'm experiencing. However over time this has become unhealthy.

I am thinking of going to see a psychiatrist with the intention of trying meds again, for the first time in 7 years. I'm thinking possibly I could replace drinking with taking Klonopin and that might be a more stable option. Though in truth, I'm not all too optimistic about trying meds again because... I've tried them all already. Not all but a lot. All the different categories, name a mainstream psych med I've probably been on it at some point.

Maybe there is something new out there I'm unaware of. Maybe something will be different this time. Maybe an SSRI will help since I'm depressed now but wasn't before. Maybe I'll find something that can at least give me some kind of subtle relief so that I can stop drinking. I figure it's worth a shot and that I have nothing to lose.

Has anyone found any meds that help them with this disorder? Anyone???

First thing I want to try again are benzos: Klonopin, Xanax, Valium...

An SSRI, maybe something will help my depression at least

Maybe the London Trio

Wish me luck. I will update this thread, if anything helps.

·
Administrator
961 Posts
Did you try anti-psychotics? I had a friend in a similar situation and he said they helped, although that's just anecdotal. People generally warn others off benzos.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
+1 on Low Dose Atypical Anti Psychotic.......

The one that works for me is Dolmatil (Sulpiride) 200mg (Low dose) once a day.....It gave me back my life many years ago and continues to do so today...Im taking the exact same dose I started on in the mid ninetees...

If a low dose Atypical doesnt work drop it....Higher doses are only intended for much more serious conditions such as schizophrenia etc....

The other one to try is Seroquel.....I know other people have had good results with that too...But again Low dose ONLY...

Benzos are NOT a long term solution....You WILL build tolerance no matter what anybody says and you will need to start taking more and more, more often....Not a good idea in my opinion.....In fact most doctors cant and wont write long term Benzo scripts anymore.....If they do they are in mal practice territory....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
By the way....Dont be surprised if an Atypical initially zonks you for a week or so....Thats very normal....It passes....

The other thing Atypicals are good for is by acting as a good sleep aid if you are going through insomnia...

·
Administrator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried several anti-psychotics yeah, I'm open to trying them again.

When I joined this forum in 07, it seemed like EVERYONE was on Klonopin. Now I rarely hear it spoken of. I was at one point prescribed EIGHT mg of Xanax/day, yes you read that right. Also have withdrawn off long term benzo use so I'm aware of the dangers.

Would kill for a good night of sleep, sleep aid sounds wonderful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts