Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recieving psychiatric disability (SSI) and often feel that I could benefit from some form of therapy. but I can't afford to pay as I have just barely enough to exist on as it is. The State medical program will pay for a visit to a psychiatrist but in general that is simply to prescribe meds, rather than engage in ongoing therapy. Does anyone have any suggestions about finding a therapist if one doesn't have any money?

john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am recieving psychiatric disability (SSI) and often feel that I could benefit from some form of therapy. but I can't afford to pay as I have just barely enough to exist on as it is. The State medical program will pay for a visit to a psychiatrist but in general that is simply to prescribe meds, rather than engage in ongoing therapy. Does anyone have any suggestions about finding a therapist if one doesn't have any money?

john

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Have you searched for community mental health centers in your area? They usually have a sliding scale payment. Or maybe a crisis line would know where you can go for mental health without money. Maybe there are groups in your area where you can attend and not pay anything?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Have you searched for community mental health centers in your area? They usually have a sliding scale payment. Or maybe a crisis line would know where you can go for mental health without money. Maybe there are groups in your area where you can attend and not pay anything?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions Peacedove. I have checked with the County Mental Health department but they only provided services for the most dysfunctional people, those on meds for psychosis. They have a day treatment facility for them. But I have asked if there eas a list of therapists in this area who used a sliding scale but haven't found any that do these days. Some years ago there were several. It has been a couple of years so maybe I should ask again.

I was going to an anxiety, panic and support group for a while but it seemed to focus too much on meds for me. I mean they would get together and talk about changes in their meds or switching doctors etc. But I wasn't really interested in that kind of support. I wanted to hear discussion about how to cope with DP but I don't think many were really familiar with DP nor the level of DP whih leads to panic atacks.it on the level which lead to panic atacks. I am not minimizing their suffering at all, it was just that their focus was diferent. But perhaps as DP becomes more well known there may spring up support groups exclusively for those dealing with DP. I will look into it and if I find something I will post it here on this message board.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas with me,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions Peacedove. I have checked with the County Mental Health department but they only provided services for the most dysfunctional people, those on meds for psychosis. They have a day treatment facility for them. But I have asked if there eas a list of therapists in this area who used a sliding scale but haven't found any that do these days. Some years ago there were several. It has been a couple of years so maybe I should ask again.

I was going to an anxiety, panic and support group for a while but it seemed to focus too much on meds for me. I mean they would get together and talk about changes in their meds or switching doctors etc. But I wasn't really interested in that kind of support. I wanted to hear discussion about how to cope with DP but I don't think many were really familiar with DP nor the level of DP whih leads to panic atacks.it on the level which lead to panic atacks. I am not minimizing their suffering at all, it was just that their focus was diferent. But perhaps as DP becomes more well known there may spring up support groups exclusively for those dealing with DP. I will look into it and if I find something I will post it here on this message board.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas with me,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts