Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has 34,185 registered members. We know very little about this group as a whole, but i think we can make some assumptions based on the small subset of members that we do know and interact with, namely the chatroom regs (Back when this was still a thing).

From 2013 to 2016 there was, in my estimation, about 30 regs frequenting the chat. 4 of these are confirmed dead by suicide and an additional 2 suspected dead.

That's 13.3% - 20%(suspected) of the chat room clientele. That's an obscenely high number considering the general suicide rate in the US is 0.013%.

This is again the only part of the DP population we can account for. This group may or may not be representative of the general DP population. We don't know.

It could very well be that the chat room attracted the most hopeless among us. I also realize this isn't great science.

What do you people make of this? Do you think the suicide rate among DPers are significantly higher than in other mental disorders?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've noticed this and mentioned in a few times before if I remember correctly. Just type in "suicide" in the search bar and see how many results you come up with. Seems like every day there's at least some mention of it somewhere on this site. Suicidal ideation has been a huge aspect of DP for me and clearly it's the same for many others.

·
Jedi Knight
428 Posts
I don't feel you can really limit it to the chat room regulars only.

As I've said to you already, it's a difficult thing to quantify as people come and go on the site all the time.

Given that a lot of people also have co-morbid conditions such as depression/anxiety... yeah...

In any case, I'd hope the suicide rate wasn't higher. There's hope with any mental health condition, although it often doesn't feel that way.

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
Okay, I wrote a post with the facts, but I don't think it needs shared. The answer, is no, no where near, i'll PM you it.

I don't know how to really put this across without saying it's simply not how statistics work. Picking firstly people on a website, when many people have this and never even feel the need to mention it as it does not affect them that badly, so there is that, there is also the fact that people on chat are looking for support, so often the most vulnerable, so i guess you raise another good point that it would be nice to have again. But yeah, it's not even well known amongst doctors to be that much of a problem, i've been to many, most ask me when they see it for other medical issues "what's DP"... so it's not even publicly known so well. Yet some of the other examples or one i mentioned in my PM, well, you can see the difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well here's the thing, for me I wouldn't necessarily say I'm suicidal as such, though at the same time it just REALLY sucks to keep living in with the condition and I really don't want to live like this anymore.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Two things:

1. A sample of 30 people is so small it's basically useless. Especially comparing it to US population of 350million.

2. I always thought the opposite. People kill themselves for all sorts of reasons, but i feel like DP is one of those things where people don' really go through with it, no matter how hard it gets. Partly because DP is a numb and zombie liike state where suicide requires planning and execution on a level that's alot for someone with DP to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts