Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am convinced that my first episode of DP (which lasted for 3 years) was brought about my reading.... I was studying for a degree and reading loads of philosophy when something clicked. Does anyone think that something you read could be such a catastrophic catalyst? I find it really hard to cope with how different my life could have been without DP.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yea i do. alot of my dp thought is around concepts like eternity and space and stuf. i get overwhelmed and lost in the vastness of it. its total awareness of the planet , pople on it floating in nothingness that goes on forever. i'm going to stop now and think of other stuff

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not in itself, but if you had an inclination to wander too much into that realm of thought ANYWAY it just adds to it.

But..what you must do for now is NOT contemplate existence whatsoever...look through the threads on here, there are some more with some good advice but these thoughts are a trap and will only have your head spinning. Existence is not yours to contemplate...and you might as well stay out of philosophy for a while. Deal with something more concrete, like mechanics or current events or social things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only had one episode of DP. I will report back when it is over. Just wanted to pop in here to point out - again, the simple wisdom that can be found in the least likely places:

Thank you P3 for that X-Men postscript......

·
Registered
369 Posts
i don't think your reading caused it. there was most likely more to it than just that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
:) Thank you very much sc! I'm glad someone else saw something in it...

I like your subscript kenc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could stop obsessing about the bigger picture but my mind is in spasm. I have tried watching the news and absorbing myself in the 'here and now' but it just makes me feel bitter - like I'm missing out. I wish it were a choice rather than a reflex.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi, firstly just want to say hi as I'm new to this site and am finding it a real eye-opener and a relief to hear all your stories.

I have often pondered on the whole philosophy link. It seems that we are trying to understand something which is just totally beyond what are brains are capable of processing. Then it kind of shuts down because it is so scary. The fact is there is so much we don't understand about life and the fact that we are able to make ourselves feel like we are just like a bunch of electrical impulses without personality/soul makes us feel like we have exposed some significant theme on existence. I've oftened wondered whether its an insight into something more. But the fact is its exactly this kind of thinking, trying to anaylse the self and trying to make sense of it all which causes us to feel this awful dp cr*p. It's like the chicken and the egg - which came first - do I think these things because my brain is not wired up properly or does thinking these things cause my brain to shutdown? Is it just magical thinking?

Anyway, what a first post to make! Sorry to get all deep and apologies if my ramblings didn't make any sense. My point is, you may have all these ideas about life and have profound thoughts about existence, but at the end of the day, like person 3 said , it isn't ours to contemplate, it makes you feel like a bag of sh*t, so the best thing is to learn not to care about these things. My guess is that everyone on this site is either extremely intelligent/creative with too much brain power being channelled in the wrong direction!

Cheers for listening to my extremely long rant...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts