Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with this one for some time now. Is a little sympathy too much to ask for? My father seems to think so. He says that I should just move on with my life. Today I told him that I tried that for the last ten years and it didn't work. Then I said "I'd rather be dead than go on living this way". Still, no sympathy from him. No sympathy of any sort from him over the last month I've been living here (with him). So, I am wondering how you all have delt with your family and friends regarding your DP?

Sincerely,

university girl

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been struggling with this one for some time now. Is a little sympathy too much to ask for? My father seems to think so. He says that I should just move on with my life. Today I told him that I tried that for the last ten years and it didn't work. Then I said "I'd rather be dead than go on living this way". Still, no sympathy from him. No sympathy of any sort from him over the last month I've been living here (with him). So, I am wondering how you all have delt with your family and friends regarding your DP?

Sincerely,

university girl

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you had not developed dp/dr yourself do you think you would have been able to understand what someone with dp is going through - I don't think I would have done

I would like a little support and sympathy myself but I've sort of given up on that front - I've told my wife but she's not that interested maybe because I appear to function so well - I haven't told anyone else close to me because I'm basically scared that they'll write me off as a lunatic and have nothing further to do with me

I am a coward really but I dread living and being alone so I'll go through the motions to buy me some company - cynical? - you bet

rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you had not developed dp/dr yourself do you think you would have been able to understand what someone with dp is going through - I don't think I would have done

I would like a little support and sympathy myself but I've sort of given up on that front - I've told my wife but she's not that interested maybe because I appear to function so well - I haven't told anyone else close to me because I'm basically scared that they'll write me off as a lunatic and have nothing further to do with me

I am a coward really but I dread living and being alone so I'll go through the motions to buy me some company - cynical? - you bet

rob

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Let's see... I tried telling my family about my DP when I was little but they didn't get it. I never tried again. So my family has no clue about that. They do know about my depression and panic attacks though and they aren't very sympathetic about them. I think they just don't understand these problems either so they just sorta brush 'em off. My mother actually told me I shouldn't get back on my meds cuz I was doing fine without them. Oh my God.... if she could only see what goes on in my head.

My friends... they are sympathetic when I tell them, but they don't really get it either. I think it's hard to have sympathy when you have no clue what's really going on. I sometimes find it hard to have sympathy for my boyfriend... he has these anger issues. And sometimes instead of sympathizing I wind up getting angry with him myself. I guess it's all about understanding. So I guess if you're looking for sympathy from your father maybe just say hey, I know you don't know what's going on in my head, but it's really serious and I wish you would try to understand and maybe show you care somehow.

I don't know, I keep rambling I'll stop now.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Let's see... I tried telling my family about my DP when I was little but they didn't get it. I never tried again. So my family has no clue about that. They do know about my depression and panic attacks though and they aren't very sympathetic about them. I think they just don't understand these problems either so they just sorta brush 'em off. My mother actually told me I shouldn't get back on my meds cuz I was doing fine without them. Oh my God.... if she could only see what goes on in my head.

My friends... they are sympathetic when I tell them, but they don't really get it either. I think it's hard to have sympathy when you have no clue what's really going on. I sometimes find it hard to have sympathy for my boyfriend... he has these anger issues. And sometimes instead of sympathizing I wind up getting angry with him myself. I guess it's all about understanding. So I guess if you're looking for sympathy from your father maybe just say hey, I know you don't know what's going on in my head, but it's really serious and I wish you would try to understand and maybe show you care somehow.

I don't know, I keep rambling I'll stop now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peacedove said:
...So I guess if you're looking for sympathy from your father maybe just say hey, I know you don't know what's going on in my head, but it's really serious and I wish you would try to understand and maybe show you care somehow.
Thanks guys...

Well, I did try that with my dad. I literally said to him that I'd rather be dead than live this way. He still seems stuck on his "well, we all go through hard times but we just have to get on with our lives"...GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

u.g.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
peacedove said:
...So I guess if you're looking for sympathy from your father maybe just say hey, I know you don't know what's going on in my head, but it's really serious and I wish you would try to understand and maybe show you care somehow.
Thanks guys...

Well, I did try that with my dad. I literally said to him that I'd rather be dead than live this way. He still seems stuck on his "well, we all go through hard times but we just have to get on with our lives"...GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

u.g.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts