Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I thought some of you may find the info contained on these sites of interest.

The first link talks about how sometimes doctors determine which medication to prescribe and the second link talks about tapering off Paxil.

I had dakotajo in mind as i have been inspired to do some research by his post today about Paxil withdrawals.

I figure it is better to know than not to know. Right?

Hope these aren't reposts

http://paxil.bizland.com/californialawsuit.htm

http://paxil.bizland.com/jbuzzw.htm

john

·
Registered
723 Posts
hi john

thanks for the links. its good to have a 'way to do it' in mind rather than an uninformed worry about stopping ssris. did you, by any chance, come across anything on zoloft? i've been looking but most stuff i've come across concentrates on paxil.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi John,

IN MY OPINION, the makers of Paxil(and the rest of the ssris) have gotten themselves in trouble with their intense advertising. These commericials promote the drug as a completely benign, cure-all for mental distress. Just about everybody with a mental complaint is given this drug. My doctors told me he has patients requesting these drugs because of the commercials they see. The ssris are now the drug of choice for anxiety over benzos because they do not produce tolerance and addiction(some may disagree with this). The commercials leave out the fact that this drug can cause a withdrawal syndrome. It can also aggravate anxiety and depressive diorders when first taken, which is someting most doctors will not tell you. Fortunately the withdrawal is usually short lived and is not life threatening. Im sure for some, these drugs work well, so they are definitely worth a try. I just cold turkied, 25mg of Paxil cr and compared to what Im used to(benzo withdrawal), it was nothing. Ive been off now for almost 3 weeks. Im very dissapointed cause this drug seemed to work in the beginning. Looks like Im going to stay drug free.

Joe

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey John ..

I was on Paxil CR 12.5 mg for about ... I'd say 7 months maybe? I stopped cold turkey, and had no withdrawl symptoms at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi pdr

I have read in one of the links I posted that there has been less problems with Zoloft and Prozac in regards to "withdrawal syndrome.

"63.In 1996, Coupland reported a study involving 158 patients on SSRI's.In addition to Paxil--the SSRI's Prozac, Zoloft, and Luvox were studied.Severe withdrawal symptoms were noted for all.Symtpoms persisted for up to three (3) weeks.Symptoms occurred much more frequently with Paxil and Luvox than with the others."

"72.In 1998, Rosenbaum and Fava published evidence about significant withdrawal problems associated with Paxil and Zoloft."

And finally:

"77 On August 6, 2000, "Psychiatry Drug Alerts" published by M.J. Powers & Co., reported a controlled study of 107 patients in which Paxil patients suffered serious and many withdrawal problems, as opposed to Prozac and Zoloft patients who suffered little.It was stated "patients withdrawn from ...(Paxil)...reported deterioration in overall functioning and in functioning at work, relationships, and social activities. Patients withdrawn from...(Zoloft)...and...(Prozac)...reported lesser and no impairment, respectively. "

So pdr it seems to me that according to these studies there may be some withdrawal syndrome symptoms associated with quitting Zoloft but not apparently to the same extent as quitting Paxil.

At least that is what it sounds like to me.

Hey dakotajo If you can get along without drugs, more power to ya! I talked to my doctor about tapering off the Xanax at some point in time and he told me that when I felt ready to try I should reduce it slowly, like .25mgs every two weeks so i would be loking at about five months or more. He said that even if I was unable to quit entirely, I, like many other of his patients, may be able to reduce the maintainance level I am currently at by using this tapering procedure. years ago I was able to quit benzos (valium) cold turkey after using them for many months and didn't notice much difficulty when I stopped. I guess it just goes to show we are all different eh?

I took paxil one day a few years ago and it made me feel stupid and goofy and increased my feelings of DR. I have never been able to accept the premise that if you take a drug and it makes you feel worse you should continue taking it. I know the rationale behind this belief but it doesn't sit well with me. The first time I took Xanax i felt relief from anxiety as well as a pleasant mild sedation. It has always seemed a "clean" ( no weird sideffects) just a simple and effective drug at least for me taking it everyday over these twenty years. Admittedly (if and when I decide to do this) tapering off will no doubt be challenging.
But it is a wonderful dream to aspire to, to be drug free someday.

Crumbles I am happy for you that you didn't have a problem quitting. Apparently not everyone does.

john

·
Registered
663 Posts
John,

After the time you have been on Xanax, Im sure most doctors will tell you that you cannot just quit unless you want to experience seizures. .25 mg drops every 2 weeks sounds like too much. Thats like cutting 5 mg of valium. Most people that really understand benzo withdrawal, would recommend a x-over to valium and a slow taper for at least a year.

Paxil withdrawal is probably more intense than the rest of the ssris, because of its high potency and short half life. Its the reason xanax withdrawal is more vicious than withdrawing from valium. Most people usually do feel worse when first taking an ssri. They call it the activation period and it can take 6-8 weeks before the therapuetic effect kicks in.

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe, what you say isnt a surprise to me.
If I am not mistaken Paxil is also associated with suicide and homicide.

·
Registered
723 Posts
thanks john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts