Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Stress

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  [rula] 
#1 ·
I was feeling annoyed and stressed after arguing with my mother and I decided to look at signs of stress, being over-stressed, and what being over-stressed does to you. I realized that I am extremely stressed all the time. Some of the articles I read said that being over-stressed can lead to anxiety disorders and the such. I think that my derealization is caused from my constant stress. Does anyone else think that stress can cause this disorder?

#3 ·
Shadow Cat,

I believe this is one of the main things that causes the disorder - if not the thing that is mostly responsible for its birth and longevity. I'm not sure exactly how it fits into the complete picture, but it's my simple-minded guess that it plays out quite vividly in the construction of the experience of depersonalization.

I find that it is at its highest level when stress is involved, and at its lowest when I'm very relaxed and simply letting go.

One thing that I never thought about but which has been given a lot of attention lately, on this board, is the result of hormones on someone and that being, possibly, the instigator of depersonalization. That can cause physiological stress too - but, I'm not sure how that enters the equation completely.

Personally, I would also bet MrMole's favorite testicle (his left) that stress plays a major role in the disorder.

G
#4 ·
I, personally, can say that my dp/dr has a link to the amount of stress in my life. Like most people on here, I had no idea there was a name for what I was experiencing until a few months ago. As a college student, I was extremely stressed out with studying and working and other personal issues. On top of that I was battling major depression (I still don't know if the dp/dr caused the depression to worsen or if the depression caused the dp/dr). But I do know that the more stressed I was the worse the dp/dr became. I finally had to take a medical leave from school. Over the course of three months my dp/dr has gotten significantly better as I havne't had as much stress. But now it is starting to get realy bad again as I am beginning to plan for the summer and fall: moving, workign and going back to school. So in my experience I would say that there is definitely a link between this illness and stress. hope that helps.

#5 ·
In my case stress was 100% the cause of my DP. several doctors have explained it to me, so I know a little too much about the relationship between stress and different chemicals/hormones released in the body and how it can lead straight to anxiety & dp/dr. I can probably bore you with details, but I won't.

at any rate, everytime I go to Mt. Sinai I'm asked about changes in my major stressors (from when DP started), the alcoholic bf, my job, diet/caffeine use, etc. so even they know that unless you get rid of your stressors, no amount of pills anyone can prescribe will really help you.

peace,
-ru

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.