Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently taking straterra after my doc got approval for it 2 weeks ago. before that i was taking adderall. i didnt taper off the adderall i was on 10mg... and i didnt get any adverse effects. on the adderall when i first started i felt a difference in my ADD symptoms. its a stimulant but it made me tired so thats a good indicator that im ADD. my thought patterns became more rythmic as opposed to a flood of staticky info like it normally is. i found that i was calm enough where i could do things with ease that would usually confound me to the point where i would just give up before i started. i didnt like the fact that it made me tired. but i was actually getting things done so it was good i felt.

well then my doc got the approval for the strattera. unlike adderall and ritalin its a nonstimulating med and only works on one part of the brain as opposed to the whole brain, so its more fine tuned supposedly.

anyway ive been taking the strattera(25mg) for 2 weeks and off the adderall for 2 weeks. im also on welbutrin(150mg) ive been on that for 2 months(it hasnt done squat but im still taking it per docs orders).

since ive been on the straterra and off the adderall, ive been waking up in the middle of the night and not able to sleep because of racing thoughts which is how i was before the adderall. my house is a wreck. all the things i was changing about my life have gone down the toilet these past 2 weeks and im right back where i started. i know im supposed to give the strattera time to work but this is really frustrating. i just want to be able to live my life without the chaos in my head. have any suggestions? :?

G

·
Since the other drug seemed to be working so well for you, why was it necessary to change to this new one? What supposed advantages is it assumed to have over the one you were taking?

I mean if it is not broken why fix it ....right?

john

G

·
The answer to John is that the docs want to ween folks OFF the stimulants and Strattera is the New Great Hope for ADD treatment that is not also an "upper"

SLeepy, the two meds are incredibly different. And I've seen Wellbutrin fail to do much of anything on severe ADD. I like ol' Wellbutrin, but it's no Adderal.

You might want to give this experiement a little longer (it could take a month or so for your brain to adjust to NOT having Adderall anymore). I also suspect that your brain LIKES the "high" of Adderall (and I have no judgement about that, none). It probably gives you not only focus, but a greater sense of well-being. The Adderall probably acts as an anti-depressant to you. Just my guess.

I suspect they'll find that Strattera works fine for someone without many emotional issues...just plain ol' ADD. But for mood swings, etc..it will probably never replace Adderall.

Peace,
Janine

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks janine. my psychologist said the same thing basically. that i should keep with it for a while to allow it to take effect. i was feeling better on the adderall but im not going to give up hope on the stratterra. il probably keep taking it for a few more weeks. my psyche will most likely up the dosage when i see her in another week. well see what happens after that. if it really really does nothing than im sure she will get me back on the adderall but to be honest i dont want to take stimulant medication if i dont have to. i dont want to be dependant on any med.

but on the flip side.. it really sucks being back in my old patterns again. im irritable, angry, frustrated to the point of exaustion. i cant sleep, the whole world looks like a monet rather than a rembrandt. i feel like jumping out of my skin i hate the constant flood of thoughts its driving me mad. i dont know how i live like this now that ive tasted even the smallest ammount of releif. this is a living nightmare and i just want to wake up already.

wheres that fricken therapeutic screaming room? :x

·
Registered
130 Posts
hi sb

one of my kids takes ritalin (methylphenidate) for his severe ADHD and it works a charm for him - calming him, allowing the control part of his brain to get in their before his impules go bezerk - he sleeps ok and eats like a horse

why people get so uptight about ritalin/stimulants defeats me - there is evidence that these kids have a lower chance of becoming drug dependent in adult life and there are no dependency issues with methylphenidate itself - ok it might be chemically similar to cocaine according to the chattering well-balanced busy-body middle-class wankers who go on about it incessantly in the media but for adhd it is taken in tiny doses via the nouth and absorbed very slowly via the stomach (as opposed to chopping out and snorting up) - for people with adhd it has a calming effect - it does not make them feel speedy like it might the general population because their brains are made differently

for my son it is a life saver - you cannot have a relationship with someone who has severe adhd as they're just on at everyone all the time in an unstructured in your face sort of way that just pisses you off however sympathetic you might think you are - also his school have made it a condition of attendance

so the effect of taking ritalin is

1. he can control his impulses and make moral/social choices about how to behave - his free will is restored - he is not simply the product of his impulses

2. he can form relationships with his school chums and us his parents

3. he can concentrate and let his 138 british scale IQ shine - he can achieve his potential

4. his self esteem is higher

5. he probably won't end up living in a cardboard box or worse prison - a lot of criminals are undiagnosed adhd

6. he has a lower chance of substance abuse/dependency in adult life than the general population

everyone who knocks stimulants for adhd either has an agenda like those fukcing internet christians who slag off medical professionals/ritalin and then try and flog you a packet of herbs for $50 or is just not intelligent/open minded enough to consider that many kids with adhd were ostracised and sometimes sent to mental institutions before ritalin was around

what i meant to tell you was that i have a touch of adhd myself and my concentration was fantastic during the time that i took lamotrigine

rant over

rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts