Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, does anyone else (specifically those who struggle with the blank mind symptom) have these specific issues with sleeping?: my dp/dr and/or whatever else is wrong with me was triggered by one use of a type of ecstasy more than 2 months ago, and every morning since the incident, i have without fail woken up at 7am without grogginess and cannot go back to sleep. also, i never get that "heavy" sleepy feeling in my head anymore. i've been to hypnotherapy a few times now and i realize that i don't notice much progression of a feeling of falling into a trance, it's like my mind is just there; there isn't much slowing down to do. it's really weird and frustrating.

· Registered
58 Posts
Pretty much the same but I wake at 8 and never have the grogginess. My eyes open and my mind is instantly working as if I've never been to sleep. I'm thinking instead of dreaming while I'm "sleeping" if that makes sense.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much the same but I wake at 8 and never have the grogginess. My eyes open and my mind is instantly working as if I've never been to sleep. I'm thinking instead of dreaming while I'm "sleeping" if that makes sense.
Yeah, that sounds the same. How long has this been going on for you? Was it all started by something or did it just happen naturally?

· Registered
134 Posts
Most of my depersonalization was triggered by x almost 8 yrs ago n sleep n waking up early is not the problem.mine would have to be not being able to wake up early on top of dp I feel like im drunk if I wake up to early.I sleep in till 11 0r 12 every day unless for some reason I have to get up early like when I did have a job n apt.etc.I basically sleep my life away n am kind of a night owl smh not good at all

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry you are dealing with this, i for one have not gone through this but i want to know, how are you doing? i am always here for people who need help and i like to try to help them ^^
Hi, thanks for the response. Unfortunately sleep problems haven't changed. Went to a sleep study consultation and I don't think they will be of much help, not interested in getting on some addictive sleep med with bad side effects. Besides, that wouldn't be actually helping the root of the problem. Hopefully I'll make some progress on this soon. Thanks for reaching out.

· Registered
613 Posts
Hi, thanks for the response. Unfortunately sleep problems haven't changed. Went to a sleep study consultation and I don't think they will be of much help, not interested in getting on some addictive sleep med with bad side effects. Besides, that wouldn't be actually helping the root of the problem. Hopefully I'll make some progress on this soon. Thanks for reaching out.
But why close yourself off to the possibility? If it helps you sleep and relax, I don't see the problem. I guess I never really understood the anti-medication sentiment on this site. I understand that it's not ideal to be on something, but it's better than sleepless nights. You said yourself, you're not improving. Don't hold off if you feel something might benefit you.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But why close yourself off to the possibility? If it helps you sleep and relax, I don't see the problem. I guess I never really understood the anti-medication sentiment on this site. I understand that it's not ideal to be on something, but it's better than sleepless nights. You said yourself, you're not improving. Don't hold off if you feel something might benefit you.
I do benefit from Zzzquil. I take that every few days. Overall I'm able to sleep, it's more of how unnatural it feels that is the issue. Sometimes I don't think that my only issue is DP but something at a more fundamental level of my consciousness that is causing this. I can't be sure, but either way I believe that once I can figure out this issue, the weird sleep symptoms, along with everything else, will sort themselves out.

· Registered
154 Posts
I've posted about this before in other posts, but when at my worst with symptoms, I had horrible issues. I love sleep and would nap any chance I got, but with DP, I could never get into "real" sleep (and forget naps!). It was more of twilight sleep where I was half asleep and half awake. Then, I would wake up at the slightest bit of light, noise, etc. And when I did wake up, I didn't just slowly come awake. I was instantly awake, startled feeling, heart racing, full DP/DR. It was horrible. Benadryl didn't help. Over the counter sleep medication didn't help. The one time I took the xanax my doctor prescribed didn't help. In the end, it was seroquel that finally allowed me to get a real nights sleep again. The first time I took it, I slept 12+ hrs and woke up in the same position I fell alseep in (which was wonderful to feel the feeling of slowly drifting to sleep again). Not because the medication was too strong, but because my body/mind was that worn out.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've posted about this before in other posts, but when at my worst with symptoms, I had horrible issues. I love sleep and would nap any chance I got, but with DP, I could never get into "real" sleep (and forget naps!). It was more of twilight sleep where I was half asleep and half awake. Then, I would wake up at the slightest bit of light, noise, etc. And when I did wake up, I didn't just slowly come awake. I was instantly awake, startled feeling, heart racing, full DP/DR. It was horrible. Benadryl didn't help. Over the counter sleep medication didn't help. The one time I took the xanax my doctor prescribed didn't help. In the end, it was seroquel that finally allowed me to get a real nights sleep again. The first time I took it, I slept 12+ hrs and woke up in the same position I fell alseep in (which was wonderful to feel the feeling of slowly drifting to sleep again). Not because the medication was too strong, but because my body/mind was that worn out.
Thank you for this, it sounds pretty similar to my experience.. Do you still have to take seroquel?

· Registered
94 Posts
I had this exactly and still do to some extent. Also before sleep I never gradually got sleepier before drifting off. I do now feel groggier in the mornings, like I need caffeine, but not like before. I know it feels horrible unnatural, but it's positive you're getting some form of sleep at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.