Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's trying some new therapies for DP?

I've been Googling for a lot of help and new information about this problem.

Is anyone here doing the same and are you asking for new types of trauma or anxiety therapies?

I've analyzed myself for years and concentrated on symptoms but it doesn't help to get better by doing that.

Thinking of the symptoms only escalates DP. What has anyone tried? Just looking for ideas.

I'm not here to complain. We all know what DP feels like. Who's with me on this?

Concentrate on the beauty when you see it, not always the bad parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See the beauty even if for a moment and concentrate on that more than your fears. Just a word of wisdom.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
Who's trying some new therapies for DP?

I've been Googling for a lot of help and new information about this problem.

Is anyone here doing the same and are you asking for new types of trauma or anxiety therapies?

I've analyzed myself for years and concentrated on symptoms but it doesn't help to get better by doing that.

Thinking of the symptoms only escalates DP. What has anyone tried? Just looking for ideas.

I'm not here to complain. We all know what DP feels like. Who's with me on this?

Concentrate on the beauty when you see it, not always the bad parts.
I'd say that yes definitely to the fact that "thinking" of the symptoms escalates and hyper awareness of DP/DR exacerbates the situation. Though on the other hand, I've found that acceptance, self love, and maybe even a certain amount of surrender DOES help. In a word, my recovery has accelerated through "incorporating" the DP/DR symptoms as a PART of who I am. Specifically the blank mind symptom. Instead of FIGHTING it, I've learned to integrate this blankness into "who I am". I have more theory and speculation on this, and I will share if and when it does lead to a recovery. But in short, the blank mind is still YOUR mind, just blank, and focusing on letting it be what it is, thoughts start to come back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I neglected to say it but everything you've said here is true. My current therapist has talked a lot about acceptance.

Without it, we never change or become happy. Thoughts are fine as long as they help us. I, too have thoughts that make me feel worse. That's when I sit and focus on my breath (mindful meditation). It's not just that thoughts come back but if we accept them just as a thought and not necessarily true we can let them go by without them controlling us. It's a process but in the right direction. If you look for books by Jon Kabat Zin he has several about mindfulness helping anxiety and depression. I see information and articles on almost all websites that mention meditation as a tool for anxiety relief. I'm sure if you hunt around you'll find some beneficial info. I wish only the best for all DP sufferers. Acceptance and not fighting the feelings is a good thing. It takes a while.

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
I want to add that this is not to say symptoms will all disappear but at least we can learn to live with them,
Yessir!

This is what I like to call "Conquering" DP/DR. There is Recovery, yes, we all want it. But in the meantime we can say FUCK YOU DP/DR and YOU CAN'T TAKE MY POWER! In essence, Conquering DP/DR is living despite it's every attempt to stop us! Every day we struggle, we suffer, we endure. And every night that you go to bed you have conquered this disorder, you survived another day! Soldier on through
smile.png

·
Administrator
1,442 Posts
Maybe I neglected to say it but everything you've said here is true. My current therapist has talked a lot about acceptance.

Without it, we never change or become happy. Thoughts are fine as long as they help us. I, too have thoughts that make me feel worse. That's when I sit and focus on my breath (mindful meditation). It's not just that thoughts come back but if we accept them just as a thought and not necessarily true we can let them go by without them controlling us. It's a process but in the right direction. If you look for books by Jon Kabat Zin he has several about mindfulness helping anxiety and depression. I see information and articles on almost all websites that mention meditation as a tool for anxiety relief. I'm sure if you hunt around you'll find some beneficial info. I wish only the best for all DP sufferers. Acceptance and not fighting the feelings is a good thing. It takes a while.
I'm very familiar with the meditation scene. In fact when I first got this disorder I began a long journey of seeking in spiritual books. I also regularly meditated at a local Zen Center. That was in the beginning 2 years. Those in retrospect were my most peaceful times being DP/DR'd and I want to get back to that. The problem now is, I go to sit in meditation, I have a cushion handy, but I sit and 1 minute later I get a text or get hungry or a thought pops in my head that prompts me to get back on the computer and google it. Do you have any advice on this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This doesn't have to be religion related. It's being used in schools to settle down children and by therapists and others all over the nation. It's something we've borrowed from the Eastern culture that helps more than our methods. Just take a deep breath and concentrate on a guided meditation with a good CD to help. Just because we have a thought doesn't mean we must act on it. One meditation CD I have says to be aware of the thoughts, acknowledge "that's just a thought", and go on with the meditation. You can think STOP when you feel you must go to the computer. You only do what you tell yourself. If I'm starting to have a depressing thought I just tell myself a stern stop. I tell myself I don't have to believe it. Just because we have a thought doesn't mean it's true. Look how we wind ourselves up with all the awful thoughts that add to our anxiety making DP and the anxiety worsen. I'm no Zen Buddhist, just use meditation for anxiety and stopping rumination. I am spiritual but not of any organized religion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts