Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went two years not taking meds and finally reached a breaking point and started taking zoloft and lamotrigine at about the same time as each other. I went from feeling at about a 4/10 as far as being dissociated to about a 7/10 from taking this combo. Since I started taking both at the same time it's hard to say which one works more, but I'm assuming Zoloft helps more after adjusting doses of each medication to see how it effects me. Without medication i felt like shit and couldnt really function or be in a relationship with a girl, after medication I feel a lot better and can be in a relationship but still trying to figure out how to feel a little more associated with myself and surroundings. I tried Klonopin a few times as an add on to what i was already taking and it seems to have somewhat of a positive effect. I'm still looking into trying more medications and finishing my TMS treatments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s great that medication is working for you. It would be great to know which medication is actually working better for you I would say is the Zoloft since the DPDR is anxiety baseD. Were you taking the actual brands or generic? Also what were your main symptoms you had?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I started out on a tricyclic because SSRIs hadn't been invented yet. When they came out, I tried Prozac. It aggravated my insomnia. I was put on paxil. In 2 weeks, I was so sick I didn't think I would live. Then, I felt a slight and brief positive emotion that gave me hope.

Slowly, my darkness gave ground. I stayed on paxil for over 10 years. I had sexual side effects. If my orgasm had been a ringing bell,, it was a buzzer on paxil. A change in pdocs brought a change in medications. I used Effexor for about 12 years. Not a big difference

from paxil. I also experienced sexual side effects on the Effexor. I guess the SSRIs/SNRIs helped a little bit, but I continued to have major depressive episodes with severe anxiety and insomnia. Finally, I had ECT. After the ECT, I was prescribed Lexapro, or Escitalopram.

Lexapro was the cleanest SSRI I had ever taken. Zero sexual side effects. I don't know if it was helping or not, because the ECT changed everything. It has been over 5 years and I only recently felt a bit of depression. It lasted about 2 weeks and I think I am moving

forward from it. I haven't taken any psych meds in almost 2 years. If I need treatment again, it will be another course of ECT. I'm done with big pharma.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I started out on a tricyclic because SSRIs hadn't been invented yet. When they came out, I tried Prozac. It aggravated my insomnia. I was put on paxil. In 2 weeks, I was so sick I didn't think I would live. Then, I felt a slight and brief positive emotion that gave me hope.
Slowly, my darkness gave ground. I stayed on paxil for over 10 years. I had sexual side effects. If my orgasm had been a ringing bell,, it was a buzzer on paxil. A change in pdocs brought a change in medications. I used Effexor for about 12 years. Not a big difference
from paxil. I also experienced sexual side effects on the Effexor. I guess the SSRIs/SNRIs helped a little bit, but I continued to have major depressive episodes with severe anxiety and insomnia. Finally, I had ECT. After the ECT, I was prescribed Lexapro, or Escitalopram.
Lexapro was the cleanest SSRI I had ever taken. Zero sexual side effects. I don't know if it was helping or not, because the ECT changed everything. It has been over 5 years and I only recently felt a bit of depression. It lasted about 2 weeks and I think I am moving
forward from it. I haven't taken any psych meds in almost 2 years. If I need treatment again, it will be another course of ECT. I'm done with big pharma.
Are you also now dp/dr free? Did that symptom clear up when the depression cleared up?

p.s. I agree, the sexual side effects of paxil and effexor are really really bad. I couldn't stand even the lowest doses of those two.

·
Registered
235 Posts
All the ones I tried helped my anxiety and hence the dp improved (eventually). Some SSRIs really dampen your emotions (I found this particularly with citalopram). As that is already a symptom of dp then that is going to be a problem. I found fluoxetine (Prozac) helped my depression a lot and didn't dampen my emotions or affect my sex drive but it did make my dp worse at first. I'm not talking the first few weeks it was worse, I mean for about 4 months it was worse. After that and my depression was stable long term and as long as I stayed clear of caffeine and slept ok, my dp became better. My vision was weird the whole time on fluoxetine though. It was like the saturation levels were turned up way too high on everything. It made the world seem unpleasant to look at sometimes and I found myself wearing sunglasses a lot to get rid of that effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts